Thread: UPS Package Holding Help

Default UPS Package Holding Help

First I want to say I DID try to figure this out by myself but I can't.

I have heard that UPS and other shipping locations will store your packages at the store and not take it to your house. The site I am going through ships through UPS only so can anyone tell me how this works or give me a link to how this works. I have a few questions...

1) This is a real service they offer, right?
    2) How much does this cost?
    3) Can minors do this too?
    4) What is acceptable ID?

I reallly did try to figure this out maybe I'm an idiot but I have heard of people doing this before for diapers, so can anyone help me with this?

If you have a local UPS store in your town I would give them a call or go in person and find out their requirements are. Iv'e never used their store so I don't

know. The stores are independant of UPS. The delivery trucks could come from as far as 50 miles away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    If you have a local UPS store in your town I would give them a call or go in person and find out their requirements are. Iv'e never used their store so I don't

know. The stores are independant of UPS. The delivery trucks could come from as far as 50 miles away.
    I do have a local UPS Store that is only 4 miles away, after living here for about 6 years I am embarressed to say I have never noticed it. I will try to call them next time I am home alone. I had no idea that the actual store was independent of the shipping company. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by RunningEasy; 01-Aug-2012 at 22:26. Reason: DP Removed

Cherub

UPS and FedEx should have the ability to hold the package at their distribution centers (aka hubs) for customer pick-up. The down side is that these hubs can be upwards of 50 miles away from your house. It all depends on where the hubs are in your service area. Back when I lived in Ohio, I got lucky in that the distribution hub was only 15 minutes away. I could drive there and pick up my packages. All I had to do was go into the customer entrance and show my ID (if your a minor I suppose a state ID or school ID card would work).

If the UPS hub is too far away from your house, you could look to see if there is a UPS store or equivalent that is closer to you, and possibly have your package(s) sent there for pick up. But don't ask me how those work as I've never used those before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    UPS and FedEx should have the ability to hold the package at their distribution centers (aka hubs) for customer pick-up. The down side is that these hubs can be upwards of 50 miles away from your house. It all depends on where the hubs are in your service area. Back when I lived in Ohio, I got lucky in that the distribution hub was only 15 minutes away. I could drive there and pick up my packages. All I had to do was go into the customer entrance and show my ID (if your a minor I suppose a state ID or school ID card would work).

If the UPS hub is too far away from your house, you could look to see if there is a UPS store or equivalent that is closer to you, and possibly have your package(s) sent there for pick up. But don't ask me how those work as I've never used those before.
    I just sent an email to customer service about this, there is a store right by my house but not a hub, my fingers are crossed. I will post it once they reply.

They already e-mailed me back! UPS Customer Service is GREAT! =). Here is the reply e-mail, I basically just asked the same questions that were in the original post.

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, I am not able to reroute the package to the UPS Store. If you become a UPS My Choice Member through our website, you can make this request on-line as long as the shipper has not restricted this option. To learn more about My Choice, select the following link:

UPS My Choice - Home Delivery on Your Schedule

My Choice will display a list of the closest UPS Stores to the delivery address. The customer can choose from this list or enter a new address or postal code to display alternate UPS Stores.

Minors are allowed to do this. Please note that delivery to a UPS Store DCOs are not available for packages with Adult Signature Required service and will not display as an available option for members.

The fee for "Delivery to a UPS Store" service is 5.00 USD.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.