Thread: New Rig!

Default New Rig!

So I picked up my new computer on the weekend. I can't believe the price I paid for it :P
    Here's a quick run-down of the specs:
    -AMD 3870K 4-core APU
    -Gigabyte motherboard with A55 chipset
    -AMD brand 4 GB DDR3 1600 memory module
    -Crucial 2GB DDR3 1333 memory module
    -60 GB OCZ SSD (yes...solid state drive :P)
    -500 GB Samsung standard secondary HDD
    -Samsung 22x DVD burner
    -450 watt power supply
    -Windows 7 O/S
    And now here it comes...$506 after taxes

I feel like you could do a little bit better spending $500 on hardware from a site like Newegg or TigerDirect, assuming you had alternative means for coming up with an OS besides outright shelling $100 for Windows 7.

That definitely isn't bad for its price point.

hmm.. not too bad for the price. One thing i would tweek however. You said you bought 4 gb of ddr3 1600 and 2 gb of ddr 1333. Typically your going to want to stick with the same make/model for all memory installed in the computer for best performance and reliability and your not going to get to utilize the faster memory as its going to have to down-clock to the slower memory speed. Being that memory is dirt cheap, i would also suggest shooting for a total of 8 to 12GB for 2 reasons. First is because your relying on the cpu to also do your graphics processing as apposed to a dedicated graphics card, you computer is going to re-allocate memory for graphics. Second is because windows 7 will cache frequently used programs while it idles to memory. This means the programs you use most often will load faster.

You should share how well it performs, I'd like to hear some real world anecdotes from users of the new generation AMD APU's. I hear a lot of negative talk from the hardware enthusiast community for AMD processors of late, and I've been a long time AMD fan who has had to come to terms with his preferred company's fall from grace.

As SkirtedBaby mentioned, I can't fathom why you chose the two different types of RAM, but otherwise it sounds like a fairly solid computer, I'm sure it would outperform my dearly departed Athlon II X4 (at least when I removed my beast of a videocard from it)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    You should share how well it performs, I'd like to hear some real world anecdotes from users of the new generation AMD APU's. I hear a lot of negative talk from the hardware enthusiast community for AMD processors of late...
    Nitpicking: it's not the new generation of AMD APUs. He has the highest speed available in the now-discontinued Socket FM1. AMD's next generation of APUs, which are Socket FM2 (which is currently not available for building with, only available to OEM manufacturers), are completely incompatible. The lack of upgrade path is my only major issue with Llano APUs, otherwise they're a great budget option.

Well to start with, it was a ready-to-go system from a store. I do plan on matching up the ram(why they didnt...lord knows). As far as performance goes, I don't have a game that can even begin to push the system lol. Guess its time for some new ones. The igp is suppost to be roughly the equilvelant of a Radeon 5500-5600 dedicated card, so it SHOULD run any game in some shape or form available atm.

I guess that's pretty decent for an integrated solution! That's one area where AMD is vastly superior, I always cringe when I read the specs for a high performance mass market computer with an Intel Processor - usually some beastly i7 thing with Intel HD Graphics 3000 or something... I expect such a system would fling those Angry Birds very very fast, while your much less expensive system would probably tear through most anything (except maybe Battlefield 3, even my dearly departed with its GTS 250 stuttered while playing it - a bit)

Battlefield 3 should run on my computer, tho probably on fairly low graphics settings. When I get some new games I'll be sure to post again how it performs