Thread: Extenders for Huggies Little Walkers / Step-Ins

Default Extenders for Huggies Little Walkers / Step-Ins

Hi

I've seen a great article on here about tape diaper extenders, but has anyone invented a way of extending nappies/diapers with velcro joins at the sides such as the UK Huggies Little Walkers (recently renamed Step-Ins) as I am thinking of trying some but I think they would need extending for me (about 35" waist)

Sambus

Sooooooo...

My first thought is this: Cut the back elastic wings off one of the diapers (the parts with the velcro on them). Cut as close to the diaper as possible to get as much elastic as you can. Now open up the sides of the diaper you want to wear and just stick the elastic you removed from the other diaper in between the front and back wings. I believe the velcro on these just sticks directly to the elastic. Make sense?

If that's not long enough, cut the back wings off of yet another diaper and just daisy-chain until you get the desired length. I expect you'll be able to reuse these cut-off bits plenty of times.

EDIT: Upon re-evaluating some pictures of these and Pull-Ups, it appears there may be both "hook" and "loop" portions to the velcro. You can certainly try what I suggest above and it may well work (and would be the easiest thing to do), however it may be necessary to take both the front and back wings from your "victim" diaper and staple them together, creating a long piece of elastic that has the "hook" portion of the velcro on one end and the "loop" portion on the other. Unfortunately, I haven't got these or Pull-Ups, or else I'd make a demo and take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Sooooooo...

My first thought is this: Cut the back elastic wings off one of the diapers (the parts with the velcro on them). Cut as close to the diaper as possible to get as much elastic as you can. Now open up the sides of the diaper you want to wear and just stick the elastic you removed from the other diaper in between the front and back wings. I believe the velcro on these just sticks directly to the elastic. Make sense?

If that's not long enough, cut the back wings off of yet another diaper and just daisy-chain until you get the desired length. I expect you'll be able to reuse these cut-off bits plenty of times.

EDIT: Upon re-evaluating some pictures of these and Pull-Ups, it appears there may be both "hook" and "loop" portions to the velcro. You can certainly try what I suggest above and it may well work (and would be the easiest thing to do), however it may be necessary to take both the front and back wings from your "victim" diaper and staple them together, creating a long piece of elastic that has the "hook" portion of the velcro on one end and the "loop" portion on the other. Unfortunately, I haven't got these or Pull-Ups, or else I'd make a demo and take pictures.
    Thanks for this cottontail, I feel honoured to be answered by your technical majesty yourself!

Haven't bought any yet, just noticed them in shops but will have to wait til payday cos skint just now!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sambus View Post
    Thanks for this cottontail
    Well! Thank me when you're wearing them and they're not falling down! That'll be the trick. On my side of the pond, the largest Huggies baby diapers are a good deal shorter than the largest Pampers, and at least on my big tush, they fall just short (literally) of what's needed to stay up by themselves. There are more elaborate ways of extending these diapers that also deal with the rise problem, but for most people they'd be considered "going too far."

...When I've finished beta-testing the latest one (which required me to learn how to sew), I'll do a write-up.

FairyCakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    When I've finished beta-testing the latest one (which required me to learn how to sew), I'll do a write-up.
    Sew?

Quote Originally Posted by FairyCakes View Post
    Sew?
    Yup.

I basically sewed what looks like the back 1/3 of a Pampers diaper, only adult-sized. Diaper simply velcros to this, and then you've got both the necessary width and length. It will work very well... once I find compatible Velcro! The "loop" part of ordinary Velcro works fantastically well, but the hook part just doesn't hold very well to the front of some diapers. More experimenting to do! It is extremely comfortable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sambus View Post
    Thanks for this cottontail, I feel honoured to be answered by your technical majesty yourself!

Haven't bought any yet, just noticed them in shops but will have to wait til payday cos skint just now!

- - - Updated - - -
    Have bought some now and have successfully made the extenders you suggested. See separate thread in Diaper talk.

- - - Updated - - -[/QUOTE]