Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mopeds,Scooters/Super economy vehicles...Own one?

Cool Mopeds,Scooters/Super economy vehicles...Own one?

In the US,people allways want bigger things like cars and houses but...Im kind of different you see? I dont like cars that much because of just how terrible the gas mileage is...[Rant mode]You think your 38 mpg car is grand,you should try 100 mpg and see who wins that race.

I was wondering if this ¨bigger is better¨ thing exist on this web site[and I saw threads talking about cars]...So I will post my ride that blows your cars out of the water.

Ill post my moped:

2002 Tomos LX:
    MPG:100[you wish your car
    had this]
    Fuel tank size:1.06 Gallons[can travel 100.06 miles on one tank of gas]
    Engine: 2 cycle, 49 cc[1.95HP]motor
    Max speed: 30MPH
    Cost:Was given to me but it would cost new $1499.99

Neat Features:Looks like a motorcycle,usually cashier pays me to fill up the gas tank[because it usually dosnt take all the gas],pedals in case I want to ride it like a bicycle.

Ok...No more braging about my ride...Want to talk about the thing you own that makes people say ¨What is that thing?¨

I'm getting a Honda Rebel this spring. 234cc engine, 60-80+ MPG depending on how you ride it. Engine can last nearly forever if it's maintained properly. Costs $4000 brand new. Max speed is 70-ish, maybe 80.

Now, while you're on that little pedestal, you should should consider the massive short-comings of your moped that you're so eager to brag about:
    • It only holds one person. Pfft, bringing family or friends somewhere. Ha.
    • It can't tow or hold cargo.
    • It can only go 100 miles without filling up.
    • It can't go faster than 30 mph, which means no highway, no Interstates, no roads in the south.
    • No groceries.
    • If you're ever in a wreck, you are FUCKED.
    • No weather protection.

Ever try a real commute where you spend an hour or two in traffic trying to make it from town to town, or city to suburb and back? Your little moped can't do that, even from a legal viewpoint. You fail to realize that a large number of Americans spend a LOT of time on the road, and who the hell are you to criticize them for wanting to make that time comfortable? What about people with kids?

Frankly, as cheap as that moped is, if somebody wanted it, they'd own it. It costs less than insurance for a year.

And while I'm at it, you're "bigger is better" thing is complete bunk. The Hummer was discontinued, and more and more cars are being geared towards efficient city models. Have you seen the Kia Rio? The Civic? Yaris? Mini Cooper?

Personally I would rather an awesome ride and good fuel economy, rather than a moped with great economy. I'm currently eyeing up a 250cc ninja.

I want to own/use a moped since I live on the outskirts of my city and they seem to be nimble. but at the same time this city can seem full of bad drivers.

but with gas prices going up and my dad owning a full sized bed pickup truck, I don't see a reason to own a car other then transporting friends. But me and my friends only really hang out when one comes down from the foothills.

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    I'm getting a Honda Rebel this spring. 234cc engine, 60-80+ MPG depending on how you ride it. Engine can last nearly forever if it's maintained properly. Costs $4000 brand new. Max speed is 70-ish, maybe 80.

Now, while you're on that little pedestal, you should should consider the massive short-comings of your moped that you're so eager to brag about:
    • It only holds one person. Pfft, bringing family or friends somewhere. Ha.
    • It can't tow or hold cargo.
    • It can only go 100 miles without filling up.
    • It can't go faster than 30 mph, which means no highway, no Interstates, no roads in the south.
    • No groceries.
    • If you're ever in a wreck, you are FUCKED.
    • No weather protection.

Ever try a real commute where you spend an hour or two in traffic trying to make it from town to town, or city to suburb and back? Your little moped can't do that, even from a legal viewpoint. You fail to realize that a large number of Americans spend a LOT of time on the road, and who the hell are you to criticize them for wanting to make that time comfortable? What about people with kids?

Frankly, as cheap as that moped is, if somebody wanted it, they'd own it. It costs less than insurance for a year.

And while I'm at it, you're "bigger is better" thing is complete bunk. The Hummer was discontinued, and more and more cars are being geared towards efficient city models. Have you seen the Kia Rio? The Civic? Yaris? Mini Cooper?
    I'mma be getting one of those too probably :<
    Last edited by Trevor; 29-Jul-2012 at 07:54. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I'mma be getting one of those too probably :<
    Honda SHI150 is what i would prefer getting. Though I would prefer to test ride anything before owning it but it seems to get solid reviews.

No thanks, my 4x4 ute (that's pickup truck for you Americans) can do about 300-350miles on a tank and goes a bit faster than 30mph. Granted it isn't the cheapest thing for fuel but as it is a diesel you can get smaller cars that are way less fuel efficient and it carries all my camping gear, it has a 12 volt fridge and travel oven and it has a stereo. At the moment a moped/motor cycle isn't very usefull for me at all; I travell a lot during the week for uni and I'm evolved in a 4x4 club. However when I am out of uni I plan on getting a motor bike for better fuel economy commuting when I get a full time career... And because they are awesome ^_^

^^ good point about diesel. It's just a shame the nz government has taxed it out of affordability.

teddybear206

elextric scooter cuz you dont have to have a licence to drive one.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaChar View Post
    In the US,people allways want bigger things like cars and houses but...Im kind of different you see? I dont like cars that much because of just how terrible the gas mileage is...[Rant mode]You think your 38 mpg car is grand,you should try 100 mpg and see who wins that race.

I was wondering if this ¨bigger is better¨ thing exist on this web site[and I saw threads talking about cars]...So I will post my ride that blows your cars out of the water.

Ill post my moped:

2002 Tomos LX:
    MPG:100[you wish your car
    had this]
    Fuel tank size:1.06 Gallons[can travel 100.06 miles on one tank of gas]
    Engine: 2 cycle, 49 cc[1.95HP]motor
    Max speed: 30MPH
    Cost:Was given to me but it would cost new $1499.99

Neat Features:Looks like a motorcycle,usually cashier pays me to fill up the gas tank[because it usually dosnt take all the gas],pedals in case I want to ride it like a bicycle.

Ok...No more braging about my ride...Want to talk about the thing you own that makes people say ¨What is that thing?¨
    Ok, here's mine. 2011 Quiring road bike, custom geometry to my measurements. Top speed 40-60 km/h (25-40 mph) depending upon conditions. Engine-my legs. Fuel tank size-a few groceries and maybe a bit of beer. MPG-infinite. Range-I've done 160 km (100 miles) in one ride with it. Cost-$6,000.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that your scooter's any better deal than my bike. Sure you might have gotten yours for free, but I enjoy my bike way way way too much to worry about the money I spent on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/New%20Bike/bike001.jpg