Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evidence on how American football is well... American!

Default Evidence on how American football is well... American!

I am a huge football fan (San Diego Super Chargers!), and I've known from quite some time now that the licensed NFL does not pay ANY taxes. While individual teams do, they are heavily diminished, but the organization that runs it all pays none because it is classified as a nonprofit - an exception written into us US tax law.

26 USC 501(c)(6)
    Business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues (whether or not administering a pension fund for football players), not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Thoughts? I find this rather laughable. Read more about it here:
    Why Does the National Football League Deserve Tax-Exempt Status?*|*Sports Fans Coalition

There is no way this is fair. We just need to dump the entire Tax code and come up with a new one. There's no way to solve all the individual problems now.

Quote Originally Posted by SubterraneanSun View Post
    We just need to dump the entire Tax code and come up with a new one. There's no way to solve all the individual problems now.
    I agree with this. When the tax code gets so complicated that people have to pay others to file their own tax returns to get everything right, it should be a sign that things are too complicated.

Back on topic, No they don't deserve to be exempt. Neither do Oil company's making Billions in PROFIT. See above for solution

Off topic rant: People always bitch about how CEO's need to be taxed and how they are so greedy, Well hell, look at professional athletes. Why is no one going after their Millions? I'm sorry but does someone playing a sport for a living REALLY need absurd an absurd salary? I think the legally lowest salaries for NFL and NBA are like $250k a year at least.

RoleModel

NFL = N***** F****** Large

It's always the way, anything which creates a HUGE amount of wealth via the non wealthy (in this case fans) will always end up just benefiting the rich, but that's capitalism for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    I agree with this. When the tax code gets so complicated that people have to pay others to file their own tax returns to get everything right, it should be a sign that things are too complicated.

Back on topic, No they don't deserve to be exempt. Neither do Oil company's making Billions in PROFIT. See above for solution

Off topic rant: People always bitch about how CEO's need to be taxed and how they are so greedy, Well hell, look at professional athletes. Why is no one going after their Millions? I'm sorry but does someone playing a sport for a living REALLY need absurd an absurd salary? I think the legally lowest salaries for NFL and NBA are like $250k a year at least.
    There's a fair argument to make here that they make a lot of money, but over a short period of time. Most athletes are retired in their thirties, and have had so many injuries that they essentially can't work anymore. They don't have the best quality of life, either. It's an argument you can make for football, boxing and hockey, but it becomes flimsy for sports like baseball and soccer where injuries are far less common.

Do I agree with that? Maybe to a very small degree. Boxing in particular. Plenty of them end up retiring with so many concussions under their belts that they are pretty much only a vegetable. I still think they get paid too much, but it's a lot more justifiable in that they are doing labour intensive work, it's not a long-term career, and it makes it extremely difficult to get a new job after (depending on the sport).

Quote Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
    NFL = N***** F****** Large

It's always the way, anything which creates a HUGE amount of wealth via the non wealthy (in this case fans) will always end up just benefiting the rich, but that's capitalism for you.
    This is why I hate when people use "*" instead of just spelling out the word. The only bad "N" word I can think of is "Nigger", but that doesn't really fit there. If you're going to put a swear word, then put a swear word. Don't try to pretend you didn't "really" say it because you used stars. You're not a child, you're not gonna get soap in your mouth. If it's offensive, people are going to be offended by the meaning, not the spelling. It's way more offensive to say "I hate dirty n******s eating all my fried chicken" (in case it's not obvious, this is purely an example meant to be offensive, not my personal belief) than it is to say that "the youth of today are stripping away the power of the word nigger by taking it back, so to speak".

If the reason you're putting stars is because you "don't swear", then don't put it at all. When you read it, you aren't reading it "enn-star-star-star-star-star", you're reading it exactly as you intended, which is the word itself. You're swearing all the same, you're just making it confusing for people to read.

/endrant

woah woah WOAH.. keep this on the downlow! Tickets for a shitty vikings vs 49ers game were like 55+ and that was for the damn upper deck of a shitty stadium (candle stick park.) Letting the NFL get taxed well ticket prices will only jump and going to games are sometimes horrible enough when you can't even read names or numbers on jersery's and the ball is the size of a damn ant from your field of view.

Okay but yeah taxing the NFL in some areas would be nice. Though I really wish there were no taxes applied to tickets, ever. Shit's pricey enough.

RoleModel

FIne, "NFL nigger fucking large" prolly coz they ate up all of Zephy chicken and biscuits, but I'd think more likly the breeding program slave owners inthe US took part in, never forget the south is the home of eugenics, but that's a different debate, certainly not one to have on this website,

anyway it was a joke, not mine but chris rocks, one funny N word tbh, so yeah, I expected a lol not a mouthful of chicken or abuse, and I was trying to use anything too rude as their are kids on here

First, I think I should clarify in that the NFL really is a nonprofit. The money is used to pay salaries of employees and redistributed the remaining money to the teams and players (who subsequently pay taxes). But that's still about $5-$6 billion going through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    i'll just leave this here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3849.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	13522
    The purpose of this post has been fulfilled. It only was a matter of time until someone would post this picture.
    Last edited by Auby; 29-Jul-2012 at 04:24. Reason: Double post. Really?

The tax code in this country is a total disaster. There are clauses in there granting exemptions to "Businesses whose names start with B and end with G and which were founded on ...etc." The state tax codes are just as messy. Look at all the junk state and city governments do to lure various large companies and you'll be horrified. Truly, there is very little in government that stands up to close examination anymore.