Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Random Discomfort Words.

CrinklySiren

Red face Random Discomfort Words.

This seems pretty off-topic so I was wondering if anyone had any words that dont particularly have any place in your memory, but you just dont like the word because of the way it sounds or what it represents or someone you associate that word with for no reason.

Like for example, it grosses me out in unexplainable ways when someone uses the word "delicious" to describe something other than food. Like when someone tries to make the word Delicious as a Synonym regarding a persons attractiveness level, for some reason it truly disturbs me lol

Another word I can't stand is "Preemie", short for Premature, i dont know why but the word just annoys me lol

Another word I dislike strongly is "Esoteric" I feel like only snobby art majors use that word. (sorry if I offend, I dont mean to)

Anyone else have randomly, inexplicably off-putting words?

Cygnus

Teen. Everytine I hear the word teen used it bothers me a little. Every time someone says it I imagine a stupid generic teenaged girl typing 'teenz 4 lif <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3,' and that bugs me.

I also dislike the words 'pre-teen' 'tween' and the phrase 'get 'er done.'
    Last edited by Cygnus; 26-Jul-2012 at 18:21. Reason: Removed double-post

CrinklySiren

Oooo! I absolutely despise words that people make up that have actually become popular words, or Colloquialisms like Guesstimate, Irregardless.

The one at the top of my list are the words Swag and Yolo. Those two words can burn in hell lmao

Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post
    Another word I dislike strongly is "Esoteric" I feel like only snobby art majors use that word. (sorry if I offend, I dont mean to)
    Esoteric is used by Computer Science majors as well.

Words I don't like? Ointment...

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    Esoteric is used by Computer Science majors as well.

Words I don't like? Ointment...
    OMG YES!!! That word is so discomforting hahaha! Its reminding me of 2 others that I dont like: Pimple and Moist. Both of those words make me squirm like hearing nails on a chalkboard lmao

ZelikaBaby

A word that annoys me is when someone calls me or someone else a 'bitch' cause I really just don't get why they would say that, since bitch is a girl dog? I also fine it kinda funny because they're callin' someone a dog.

Another word would be 'ass' cause.....isn't that a donkey? LOL

Another would be 'gay' cause that used to mean happy and now it means someone's a homo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    I also dislike the words 'pre-teen' 'tween' and the phrase 'get 'er done.'
    I use all those.....mostly tween though, but I said it before it was a popular thing. :P
    I just use it cause at the time I used it I wasn't a a 'little kid' or a 'big kid' but I wasn't a teen, soo... I was in beTWEEN a teen and a kid :P

I don't like "Daddy."

My mind has been too corrupted at this point for that to be anything innocent and clean...

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by ZelikaBaby View Post
    I was in beTWEEN a teen and a kid :P
    lol Im almost 100% sure THAT is where the word is derived from lol It refers to kids that are from 10-12 because before you reach 13 the word "teen" isnt in your number, so it is quite literally in beTWEEN adolescence and childhood. I read somewhere else that apparently a pre-teen is someone that is from 7-10. So I assume the flow goes like this:

Baby 0-2
    Toddler 3-5
    Child 5-7
    Pre-Teen 7-10
    Tween 10-12
    Teen 13-18 (or 19)
    Young Adult (Roughly) 18- about 25
    Adult 26 - 55
    Senior 55 - onward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
    I don't like "Daddy."

My mind has been too corrupted at this point for that to be anything innocent and clean...
    lol! I get exactly what you mean! I feel word saying the word Daddy too, there's a movie scene in particular that makes me uncomfortable with that word, the scene from that movie "Monster" with Charlize Theron where she is meeting up with one of her "clients" and in the process he says "call me daddy" and thats the first time she decides to kill people :P cuz then she tells the guy "oh so you like to f*** little girls huh you sick f***", ever since then im like thinking in my mind "dont call me daddy >_< lol"

I don't find most everyday words annoying...I do however cringe every time someone uses a racial 'slur' like the N-word, or...rag/towel-head, sand n-word, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    I don't find most everyday words annoying...I do however cringe every time someone uses a racial 'slur' like the N-word, or...rag/towel-head, sand n-word, etc.
    I see the problem with using the N-word, so long as you're not using it to insult. In the book "Adventures of Tom Sawyer," it's used just about every page. I can't see that as a bad thing, as that was a commonly used word in the era the book is set in.

I really can't think of a discomforting word. I guess if people say "ain't," and "irregardless."