Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Handguns?

Default Good Handguns?

Before I even get started, let me makes this clear.

THIS IS NOT A GUN CONTROL DEBATE.

Now that we got that out of the way, what is a good, fairly cheap, but reliable handgun?

I was looking at some of the Glocks and Sig Sauers, but I'm not sure what the best would be.

Well I know Adisc has members that use and even like guns. but i assume there has to be a few good gun forums out here on the internet.

Why are you looking to own a gun anyways? If for simple target practice I think compound bows are a bit nice not to mention ammo is ridiculously expensive if your just going to throw rounds down a shooting range.

I've considered getting a handgun someday, but I know nothing about guns. I've only fired rifle. I suppose the main issue here is which handgun requires little maintenance. They all work for self-defense so I suppose maintenance and cost are the main things you want to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Well I know Adisc has members that use and even like guns. but i assume there has to be a few good gun forums out here on the internet.

Why are you looking to own a gun anyways? If for simple target practice I think compound bows are a bit nice not to mention ammo is ridiculously expensive if your just going to throw rounds down a shooting range.
    Figured I'd try here...I was already logged on and I'm not a member of any gun forums. :P

Mainly, protection. Obviously, I'm not old enough for a concealed weapon's permit, but that doesn't mean I can't keep one at home. That's not to say I'd ever actually need it, but...better to be prepared.
    Last edited by Trouble; 25-Jul-2012 at 05:52. Reason: This double posting is killing me...

Beretta makes some nice pistols in the 5.56m and 9m range - though they can be a pricey
    Cheaper options include Colts, Walthers from smith and Wesson, Remington,
    FN makes a nice 5.7mm pistol plenty of ammo for self defense, plus level 2 body armor penatration and 20 round clip + 1 in the chamber.
    Really depend on your budget IDK what your definition of cheap is for example the FN above $800 on average and is cheap to me for handgun of its quality.
    There are lot of other makers out their to that are cheaper just depends on what you want for example the M1895 nagant revolver is a nice 7 shot 7.62mm defense weapon for about $129USD
    Anyway just a taste but we need more specifics if we are going to help though a gun forum would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
    Figured I'd try here...I was already logged on and I'm not a member of any gun forums. :P

Mainly, protection. Obviously, I'm not old enough for a concealed weapon's permit, but that doesn't mean I can't keep one at home. That's not to say I'd ever actually need it, but...better to be prepared.
    You think its so dangerous where you live? My city now had its 36th murder... this year. I don't own a gun though, I do sleep along side a rather long screwdriver. I do think I am just really paranoid though.

anyways i hope your decession doesn't come mainly from the shit that went down last friday at that batman showing in aurora. Public shootings are still rather incredibly rare and in a situation where someone has full body armor, head to toe a gun won't do much angaist them. As for the keeping a gun for home defense. Make sure your under a castle doctrinaire law. There's been times people go to prison for killing a intuder inside their own home I think, well from what I heard at least. but that was when i was listening to right wing idiots such as glen beck, or rush.

Know that if you keep a gun it's a very serious matter and please keep it locked in a gun safe or the very least have a trigger lock.
    Last edited by Trevor; 26-Jul-2012 at 01:16. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

In the US, anyone under the age of 21 cannot own a handgun. I believe you might be able to do a training sessions to get practice and skills though. If your looking at something for home defense and good shot gun will do. There entry level models for around $250-$350 range. Depending on the ammo is how much kick your going to get out of your shotgun. I definitely recommend 12 gauge due to its versitility in ammo.
    Rifles are also something to look at if you want range. Definitely start with a smaller caliber and work your way up. Rifles can be very fun when you a nice open range to fire. I own a 1943 mosin nagant and its definitely a fun piece to shoot and a good piece of history to own. Ammo and he guns itself are dirty cheap.
    I'm planning on obtaining my CCW permit and plan to carry a rugged LC9 with laser sites or something around that size in 40 s&w if I can find something in that caliber, otherwise it's gonna have to be a 9mm.
    Anyways hope this helps you out. I'm not the best expert on guns but I'm sure somebody will show up on this thread that knows better. And please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think protection is a legitimate reason to own a gun. It a less than a one in a million chance you'll need it. I'm not anti guns (I often use one for hunting) but a handgun is designed to kill people and has no other practical use.

Quote Originally Posted by TBDLBOY14 View Post
    In the US, anyone under the age of 21 cannot own a handgun.
    Incorrect. If you're 18 and above you can purchase and own a gun. What type of gun varies from state to state. However, it is a consensus that you must be 21 to have a concealed weapon permit.

Thanks for the rest of that information, by the way. I was thinking about a shotgun. A friend of mine owns one, although she uses it mainly for hunting.

Well i like Glocks i'm the fan of these guns and i recomend Glock 17