Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I overweight :(

Default Am I overweight :(

Well, I went to the doctor today to get this lump checked out, turns out its because I have a curved spine. It's nothing bad, just some people have it, it's very common he said. Getting to the point...

I get weighed and I'm 165 pounds. I can't help but think I'm overweight now. I'm 20, 5'9 or 5'8. My dad now is 6'0, 60 and only weighs like 105 pounds, yet doctors say he's healthy.

Am I overweight?

Peachy

You're 5'9" or 1.75 meters and 165 lbs or 75 kg.
    According to the popular Body Mass Index, your BMI is: 75/1.75^2 = 24.49.
    The documentation to the BMI says: "a BMI of 18.5 to 25 may indicate optimal weight", so that leads me to conclude that you're still at your optimal weight.

However, the BMI is flawed as it does not take into account how fit you are, how much body fat you have and if you have strong or weak bones. Muscular people and people with strong bones weigh more than people who have lots of fat, and since I don't know which category you call into, it's for you to decide really.

Peachy

xdeadx

Dude that's so not overweight =P

I'm 5'7" and 170 lbs.

And on a side note, muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're more muscular than fatty then that can also explain your weight. OR if you're just straight skinny then you might have stronger bones like Peachy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Well, I went to the doctor today to get this lump checked out, turns out its because I have a curved spine. It's nothing bad, just some people have it, it's very common he said. Getting to the point...

I get weighed and I'm 165 pounds. I can't help but think I'm overweight now. I'm 20, 5'9 or 5'8. My dad now is 6'0, 60 and only weighs like 105 pounds, yet doctors say he's healthy.

Am I overweight?
    There is a big difference between being "healthy" and being "overweight." You can be "overweight" and be "healthy," or you can be the right weight and be seriously unhealthy.

Your weight seems fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    There is a big difference between being "healthy" and being "overweight." You can be "overweight" and be "healthy," or you can be the right weight and be seriously unhealthy.

Your weight seems fine to me.
    Now u got me worried about my self! >.<

maddi

My husband is 5'8" and weighs about 230. I would consider him a *bit* chubby cuz he's got a *bit* of a belly, but all around, he is also very muscluar and solid. I would not look at him in a crowd and say, "wow... he's overweight." I think he looks very healthy and perfect.

Darkfinn

First off... Congratulations! You are an average American.

Studies have shown that the typical American could stand to lose between 10 and 25 pounds. It all stems from our love of fast food and snacking. We get a greaseburger for lunch instead of a salad, we drink sodas instead of water... it all packs on the pounds.

Personally... I'm 5'7" and 170lbs. I also have a curved spine... it pushes my stomach out and makes me look fatter than I really am. I have a 34" waist... but I get my pants in size 36 so I can fit diapers under them. I know I'm a bit overweight... mainly thanks to greaseburgers, pizza, and my favorite beer. I want to be back around 150... where I was in high school. I am physically active for a large portion of each day b/c of my job... so I'm pretty fit, I just carry more around the middle.

I know i'm alittle over weight i'm 6'0 and 200 pounds. I know i'm fat but then I look around and see teens that that stumics that are 3x the size of mine so I think i'm doing ok.

Tell you what, screw pounds and kilos and BMI and all that stuff. Do your clothes still fit you okay?

I'm not exactly the lightest person ever, but I still wear clothes I bought when I was 13, so I really don't worry about it too much.