Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn State Football Sanctions, what's everyone think?

Default Penn State Football Sanctions, what's everyone think?

IMO, the culture of football at Penn State had become so large that Paterno was viewed as a God. Because of that, and only because of that, was there a cover-up.

The cover up was specifically to protect the image and reputation of Penn State football, because it had become bigger than the school and bigger than the safety of children.

They needed to be brought back to reality.

If people didn't care about football as much, this cover-up would have been exposed right away. But because people did, it was hidden away for years.

Penn State football became bigger than Penn State University. The point is that the "culture" needs to be changed there, and it will be. Football should not be the top priority for any University, and it most certainly should not come at the expense of innocent lives.

Point blank, football was the reason for this cover-up, and football should suffer for it. Yes, innocent people who had nothing to do with it are affected. Yes, that does suck. However, that's just a byproduct of what happens when the NCAA punishes someone, and yes, I firmly believe someone needed to pay. And anyone there who is crying for "fairness" at this point needs to look at the big picture of what really happened.

NCAA Bylaw 19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct.

"Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration, the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen."

Penn State clearly failed to follow this. The punishment is not for the crime, but for the heinous cover-up which is clearly against this NCAA Bylaw.

And...I'm done.

pretty much a lot of people there ignored the situaton, decided to do nothing about it and the people are getting lucky they aren't being tried in criminal court. This 60 million dollar fine or whatever is simply going to come from the students and tax payers and leave a mar on a football team for years to come.

Also football isan't really suffering for it. It's just like when big Ben from the stellers got fined and suspended, just without the suspession. Of course so far I haven't heard of any football players from the team covering it up. the NCAA wants to punish the football leadership, not the players.

I've got a couple problems with the penalties:

1. "Piling on" a dead guy who can't say anything in his defense. Lots of guilt to go around, some of it probably Paterno's, but it just seems wrong somehow.

2. The big fines to the school. Doesn't that ultimately stick it to Pennsylvania taxpayers? I get the scholarships and all that. I'd be OK with the NCAA saying "go back to DIII until you figure it out", but $60 million seems like a big hit. Of course I don't get the whole college sports as a business thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I've got a couple problems with the penalties:

1. "Piling on" a dead guy who can't say anything in his defense. Lots of guilt to go around, some of it probably Paterno's, but it just seems wrong somehow.

2. The big fines to the school. Doesn't that ultimately stick it to Pennsylvania taxpayers? I get the scholarships and all that. I'd be OK with the NCAA saying "go back to DIII until you figure it out", but $60 million seems like a big hit. Of course I don't get the whole college sports as a business thing.
    1.) Paterno was largely responsible for the cover-up. The people involved were going to report Sandusky back in 2004, but Paterno talked them out of it.

2.) Penn State is a multi-billion dollar university. While it is certainly a big hit, they won't be laying people off left and right. They also don't have to pay it all at once, instead paying it off over a number of years.

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting double posts. Yeah, I know its big business, it still seems wrong to bill the taxpayers, and it seems like bad karma to drag a dead guy through the mud. Paterno might have been responsible for a lot of it, but everything you and I know about it is still hearsay. What's to be gained at this point by defaming a guy who's already out of the picture and (if you believe in an afterlife), paying the price? If you don't believe in an afterlife, piling on Joe is even more pointless.

It's a head on a spike. The point is to tell other universities that if they let this happen in their institution they will suffer dearly. Penn State probably doesn't deserve it but I get why the NCAA is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one getting double posts. Yeah, I know its big business, it still seems wrong to bill the taxpayers, and it seems like bad karma to drag a dead guy through the mud. Paterno might have been responsible for a lot of it, but everything you and I know about it is still hearsay. What's to be gained at this point by defaming a guy who's already out of the picture and (if you believe in an afterlife), paying the price? If you don't believe in an afterlife, piling on Joe is even more pointless.
    Innocent people will pay as well. It's just a by-product of what happens when the NCAA punishes someone. One rotten apple spoils the rest, etc.

The thing is, Penn State conducted their own investigation, and the results were published in the "Freeh Report." In that report, it stated that Paterno was largely responsible for all of this. Penn State University agreed to its findings. Because of that, Paterno's legacy is forever destroyed, as it should be.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

There's never been a truer statement. Paterno did absolutely nothing to help protect kids from a sexual predator, and now, dead or alive, he's paying for it, as he should.

I really feel the NCAA went too far. Paterno is dead, Sandusky, Spanier , and Curley are ethier behind bars or awaiting trial.

There was no need IMO to vacate the wins. The players on the field during those years did nothing wrong, so it seems improper to punish them... Shame on President Emmertt and the NCAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    It's a head on a spike. The point is to tell other universities that if they let this happen in their institution they will suffer dearly. Penn State probably doesn't deserve it but I get why the NCAA is doing it.
    This too. And actually, I think Penn State deserved more. I think the football program should have gotten completely shut down for a few years. What happened was atrocious, heinous, and something that could have been avoided from the start. But the people in power chose to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards1 View Post
    I really feel the NCAA went too far. Paterno is dead, Sandusky, Spanier , and Curley are ethier behind bars or awaiting trial.

There was no need IMO to vacate the wins. The players on the field during those years did nothing wrong, so it seems improper to punish them... Shame on President Emmertt and the NCAA!
    I've never been a big fan of the NCAA, but I am largely behind this ruling. Paterno did nothing...nothing...to help young people from being abused. He doesn't deserve a legacy. If that comes at the cost of a few former players and their "wins" so be it.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 24-Jul-2012 at 00:55. Reason: Merging posts

In some respect I feel that the wrong people are getting punished. The football players on the team did nothing wrong. What upsets me is that these children who were molested apparently had no one to go to who would listen to them and take action. They were the children with no voice. That scares me. From what I read in the news, the police were informed at one point. Where were they, and shouldn't there be police personal who should be charged if that is the case?

Though Paterno cannot defend himself, the evidence stacking against him doesn't sound good. I suspect his constant presence, statue and mural, would continue to be a wound in the side of Penn State. I'm not sure football coaches should be immortalized at any university or college. There's a big statue of Bobby Bowden at Florida State, and he certainly had his moments of bending the rules just to win games. Institutions of learning should be about learning, and holding the highest ideals to not only learning, but living a good and moral life.