Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible to believe in god and science?

Default Possible to believe in god and science?

This randomly came up as I was talking to my mom today and I'd thought it'd be a good debate here. If it's not allowed, I'm sorry and a mod can remove it. I'm not trying to go against anyones religion or beliefs, just merely stating what I believe in and what one of us, me or my mom is correct in this.

So, I told my mom I believed in the science behind everything but I also believed in God for some things. She was very quick to say "I'd be afraid to admit that in fear of going to hell" to me. I'm thinking to myself, wtf? I'm not allowed to believe in both of them or what? She believes that one being created the earth, heavens, etc, but I believe in the big bang theory.

So, is she right that you can't believe in both god and science or is it possible to believe both?

So, what do you think?

Great question!

I guess you're going to have to define "Science" first, because science can mean anything. For example, I can't think of many Christians who refute gravity (though there are a few, I kid you not) or those who opposed using science to find medical advancements.

Now, assuming that by "Science" you mean "Evolution", well, there's really no conflict. I'm a theistic-evolutionist, meaning that I believe evolution explains how God made the earth. As my minister put it to me, Sciences explains how things came to be, religion explains why. There is nothing wrong with believing that God made the earth hundreds of millions (or billions, whatever the current estimate is) ago- it's that you believe that the Lord made it that matters to your faith. There's no place in the Bible that says God will damn those who don't believe he made the earth in six days.

So, to conclude, don't be afraid of science! It's how God does things, which makes it cool. If only it were less complicated...

I find that often science actually makes it easier to believe in God. The more you realize about the amazing intricacies of the universe and how everything is in such a delicate balance, the more you can appreciate it. Often, finding the answer to one question might raise two more. The more we learn about the universe, inevitably the more we realize we don't know. There really exist very few simple things, and the simple things are only simple when we fail to understand them.

Of course its possible to believe in both. I'm pretty sure the majority of Christians do.

I need to just stop listening to my mom then. She's christian, yet she thinks we'll all go to hell if we don't believe God does EVERYTHING. I on the other hand, believe in god only when science can't explain nothing that we don't know yet. I know that's not very much but it's just what I believe. There's a sciencific method behind just about everything in my mind. The big bang theory which created the planets, universe, etc.

sure, picture it like this. got created a molicule and packed it with all he could. he decided it wasn't enough and let it explode. he use the residue to create planets and life. slowly, he created life which he let evolve on their own. he let these creatures evolve and advance into sentenental beings. the first sentenental beings were adam and eve. i'll let the bible finish this story.

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    sure, picture it like this. got created a molicule and packed it with all he could. he decided it wasn't enough and let it explode. he use the residue to create planets and life. slowly, he created life which he let evolve on their own. he let these creatures evolve and advance into sentenental beings. the first sentenental beings were adam and eve. i'll let the bible finish this story.
    Well, who created god then? I mean he can't just be there as that's not possible. Something must of created him to start with, right?

there has to be some kind of start. why not let that start be god? why question it further if your not getting anywhere by doing so?

I just don't see how it could start with god though. Maybe that's just me thinking but meh. I've always been curious to how he got here so I guess that could be a lifetime research project of mine...

I believe in both. From what I've learned, the bible is a lot of story telling to help explain things.

For example, I don't believe got created earth in the 7 days. That was science. Its merely a tale to help us understand how powerful God is, and to show that he is the creator of life.