Thread: A dilemma

Default A dilemma

It's time to give an answer to the most famous question:

Which came first: Chicken or the egg?

please post your opinions and answers.

Mine: from my point of view, being a "scientist", egg came first because, according to the theory of evolution, DNA can be modified only before the birth, the mutation must have taken place in the egg because the egg came from a non-chicken mother.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post
    Mine: from my point of view, being a "scientist", egg came first because, according to the theory of evolution, DNA can be modified only before the birth, the mutation must have taken place in the egg because the egg came from a non-chicken mother.
    I was going to post exactly that. ~_~

Definitely the egg, because the chicken had to come from somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    Definitely the egg, because the chicken had to come from somewhere!
    but what layed the egg? :p

The egg came first, and that's a fact.

Why?

Dinosaurs laid eggs, and dinosaurs were around a long long time before chickens!

What you meant to ask was "What came first, the chicken or the chicken egg?" :p

The chicken, or at the very least, an ancestor of the chicken. It eventually evolved to develop the egg-laying methd of reproduction, so as more complex life arose, so did more complex methods of reproduction.

The fundamentalist explanation: God did it, no exception, no excuse.
    The Buddhist/Hindu explanation: The egg came first because the original being was reincarnated and hatched from the egg as the chicken.
    The Atheist explanation: The egg came first because the bacteria evolved into dinosaurs which then evolved into chickens.
    The Agnostic explanation: WGAF(Who gives a f***)

well i heard a theory that some dinosaurs might have had feathers. so that might be a place to look at.
    also, depending on the conditions they used to live under (and i don't know this) they might have gotten smaller over their time period due to lack of food and evolution took hold. because as big as t-rex is i doubt its size could have been sustained for a great amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    well i heard a theory that some dinosaurs might have had feathers. so that might be a place to look at.
    also, depending on the conditions they used to live under (and i don't know this) they might have gotten smaller over their time period due to lack of food and evolution took hold. because as big as t-rex is i doubt its size could have been sustained for a great amount of time.
    Considering the fossils they find of Tyrannosaurus Rex range over a couple million years, I think it's safe to say it was a reasonably successful creature and size wasn't a problem for the environment. It apparently got snuffed with the others during the extinction event, so it didn't really get a chance to fail on its own merits, either.

As to the original question, I'd say it has to be egg. As said by Target_0, the thing that wasn't yet quite a chicken would have to lay the egg of a mutation that achieves chicken-ness. I'm sure that adolescent chicken had lots of valid complaints about how no one understands what it's like for him or what he's really going through.
    Last edited by Trevor; 12-Feb-2008 at 15:50. Reason: giving proper credit

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Target_0 View Post
    It's time to give an answer to the most famous question:

Which came first: Chicken or the egg?

please post your opinions and answers.

I was going to post exactly that. ~_~
    Same here X_X