Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't feel like an adult

Default I don't feel like an adult

Ok, so I'm 21 and legally an adult, (for 3 years) but the weird thing is, I don't feel like one. OK so I am at uni, and during term time I live in a flat with two friends. But at the end of the day, I can't shift this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I'm not really a proper adult. I hope this is clear enough.

Is there an age this stops at? Maybe its different for different people. I'm 28 and a supervisor at a store and I have to try to act like an adult at work because when I'm not there I watch disney channel and sleep on spiderman sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by blueaudio View Post
    Is there an age this stops at? Maybe its different for different people. I'm 28 and a supervisor at a store and I have to try to act like an adult at work because when I'm not there I watch disney channel and sleep on spiderman sheets.
    Well I'm appreciably older than you and have to say I've never felt like one at all.
    All I'd say is don't worry about not feeling like an adult as in some fields being more in tune with your inner child is an advantage, just concentrate on carrying out your responsibilities such as doing your job right, settling up bills and where appropriate handling family/relationship issues maturely as they are the core things that matter in our society. Do that and you can play with lego, do colouring or even dress like a kid in your own time no problem.

Zpeed

im only an adult when i need to buy alcohol and drive a car :p

I kinda feel the same way. I just don't really like being an adult. It doesn't feel right & it's just not that great to me most of the time. =\

My question is how do you define a "Proper adult"?
    I find a lot of what is defined as "Proper" is what other people think and sometimes try to force on us.
    The important thing is what is proper for you.

CrinklySiren

What ^ said, the definition for "proper" is what you make it out to be, being an adult just means having the maturity to deal with whatever life throws at you, regardless of being ABDL or being the shift manager at a video game store. I hate it when people call video gamers immature. Im a video gamer and I have a full time job, a wife, an associates degree and I continue going to school. But I digress, to me being a proper adult is having the maturity to handle priorities and dealing with whatever life throws at you

You're not alone. I definitely don't feel like an adult, and I'm 23. And this is my AB/DL side aside. I just don't feel like an adult at all. I feel like maybe a teenager. Maybe I'm just not quite ready to face the world yet? Maybe it's because I still live with my parents and while going to school cannot fully support myself financially? I don't know. But sometimes I feel stunted somehow, because my actual age and mental age don't always match up.

I think this is a useful webcomic strip that covers the topic. Don't worry, it's a natural well-documented feeling.
    http://eelhips.tumblr.com/post/70359...ly-life-crisis
    Also relevant xkcd: xkcd: Lease