Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of telling my dad that i am bisexual...

Default Thinking of telling my dad that i am bisexual...

So, i have had multiple boyfriends and i'm tired of sneaking around... i want to tell my dad that i am bisexual so that i dont have to sneak around anymore... the only problem is, i dont know how to tell him... i want you guys' suggestions on how i should tell him... please help

What I would suggest doing is nonchalantly bring up the topic of different sexual orientations in conversation and see how he reacts, first. Before I came out to my mom, I randomly brought it up when we were talking about social issues or when a friend of mine would come out or when we talked about it in bible study (back when I actually went to youth group...) and such, and listen to her opinion on the matter. That should help you gauge how accepting he may or may not be of you. Then, based on that, tell or don't tell him. Unless of course you feel very strongly about coming out regardless of whether or not you think he will be okay with it. Then, just tell it like it is.

First off, remember you're not alone! Lots of us have come out to parents with varied success, so you should read everyone's advice before you make up your mind.

Do you know how accepting he is of the LGBT community? Does he view them as people / faggots / somewhere in between? If he doesn't view LGBTs in a positive light, it might be best to wait. Mind if I ask what your housing situation is? If you're living with him or he's still supporting you financially at all, you should wait until you can support yourself, just in case.

If you think he'll be fine with it, go for it! What would likely be the best way to tell him would be to sit him down somewhere, tell him you have something important to tell him, then just spit it out! If you don't think you can, you could try sending a text or e-mail or even writing a letter to him.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gstring View Post

Do you know how accepting he is of the LGBT community? Does he view them as people / faggots / somewhere in between?
    well in 2008 he voted for gay marriage in maine... he said and i quote " Why shouldn't they be able to get married?"

Mind if I ask what your housing situation is? If you're living with him or he's still supporting you financially at all, you should wait until you can support yourself, just in case.
    Yes, i am still living with him

What would likely be the best way to tell him would be to sit him down somewhere, tell him you have something important to tell him, then just spit it out! If you don't think you can, you could try sending a text or e-mail or even writing a letter to him.
    idk about the email or text or letter... he likes important stuff to be said in person, to put perspective for you, he just recently joined facebook because me and his girlfriend forced him too... he is a bit of a technophobe...

Whatever you decide, good luck! [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you should be in the clear!
    All that's left to do now is to sit him down and tell him! :P

Sounds like you should be in the clear!
    All that's left to do now is to sit him down and tell him! :P
    yeah, but i'm really nervous about telling him... he has a short fuse and any little stupid thing that i do or dont do can set him off and he will start yelling... Like if i forget to run the dish washer... he will just start yelling about it... and i mean full blown yelling , like last night, i made dinner for me and my brother and my brothers girlfriend... i made 2 medium sized pizza and a loaf of garlic bread... and he came home and yelled at me for wasting food, because there was some left and we were still eating...but it made no sense because we were going to wrap it up and put it in the fridge and eat it tomorrow, but he just kept yelling...

teddybear206

yeah i agree, just have an honest heart to heart talk.

I guess when you sit him down you'll have to be super clear. Tell him you want him to not say anything and not get up, but just listen for five minutes.
    But why would he get angry? If he voted positively for equal marriage, don't you think he should be fine with it?

I guess when you sit him down you'll have to be super clear. Tell him you want him to not say anything and not get up, but just listen for five minutes.
    But why would he get angry? If he voted positively for equal marriage, don't you think he should be fine with it?
    idk, he is like that sometimes...if he is in one of those moods...

I don't understand why people have to tell their parents about being gay or bi. I mean just don't hide it from them and live your life like normal. They will figure it out and may ask you about it and then you can be honest with them by telling them. I mean we don't tell our parents we are straight, we just bring over someone we meet and act like it's all normal. Why not do the same when you are bi or gay/lesbian?