Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a good fit

Default Getting a good fit

I have some Abena M4s and it is a challenge to figure out exactly how to put them on correctly. I am in the size range for the diaper although somewhat on the smaller side of it. Previous attempts and failures have lead to leaking issues so I am trying to fixup this a bit.

Following the guide at http://www.adisc.org/forum/content/1...lt-diaper.html, I am mostly confused with bringing the front up, how far to pull it and then what happens with the leg gathers such as where the leg gathers should sit and how the diaper should fold up around there. The guide seems to have it fit perfectly around the legs with the gathers tight and I am unsure how they he got that to happen. It is also hard to get a view like the guide when diapering ones self.

As far as how far I bring up the front: I try to line up the front and back so they have equal rises.

For a tight fit: I first lay down on the diaper and adjust it so the front and back come up to the same height. Next, I pull the front wings down to make the front tight and then, while holding the front wings tight, tape the bottom tabs (one at a time, obviously) to tighten up the back of the diaper. (hint: after taping the first of the borrom tabs, you can adjust to make it nice and snug with the second tape). Next, I do the same with the top tapes.

Another hint to avoid leaks: after taping the diaper up, you can reach inside the diaper between your legs and make sure that the leak guards are not stuck down.

You want the diaper to be snug, but you don't want it so tight that it's uncomfortable or so it cuts off circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    As far as how far I bring up the front: I try to line up the front and back so they have equal rises.

For a tight fit: I first lay down on the diaper and adjust it so the front and back come up to the same height. Next, I pull the front wings down to make the front tight and then, while holding the front wings tight, tape the bottom tabs (one at a time, obviously) to tighten up the back of the diaper. (hint: after taping the first of the borrom tabs, you can adjust to make it nice and snug with the second tape). Next, I do the same with the top tapes.

Another hint to avoid leaks: after taping the diaper up, you can reach inside the diaper between your legs and make sure that the leak guards are not stuck down.

You want the diaper to be snug, but you don't want it so tight that it's uncomfortable or so it cuts off circulation.
    Do you usually pull the front up to line up with the back so that the leg cuffs get tucked in? I sometimes have an issue with the side padding bunching up weirdly and was wondering how that is supposed to place.

I think it depends on the person. Some like it tight some don't

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonman View Post
    Do you usually pull the front up to line up with the back so that the leg cuffs get tucked in? I sometimes have an issue with the side padding bunching up weirdly and was wondering how that is supposed to place.
    When I pull up the front, the bit between the legs is pretty snug too. You don't want it crushing your bits and pieces down there, but if it's loose it'll probably leak. If its tight, the leak guards should be in place too, or close. I always check them to make sure.

Does that answer your question? I'm not sure if I understood you completely.

EDIT: I do make sure that the crotch area between the legs gets tucked in on each when I'm lining up the front as well.

I like a diaper to fit tight and I get best results if I lie down. Before I put the diaper on I fold it in half lengthways; this makes sure the leak guards are in the right place. Then I make sure the back and front are equal height and I lie down on it. The bottom tapes go at a 45 degree angle pointing downwards to keep it tight round my legs, and the top tapes go straight across and meet in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    I like a diaper to fit tight and I get best results if I lie down. Before I put the diaper on I fold it in half lengthways; this makes sure the leak guards are in the right place. Then I make sure the back and front are equal height and I lie down on it. The bottom tapes go at a 45 degree angle pointing downwards to keep it tight round my legs, and the top tapes go straight across and meet in the middle.
    What do you mean by fold it lengthways to fixup the leakguards?

I think part of the problem I am having with the Abena M4 is that I am just small enough that when I goto tape the sides, they reach too far past the stitching into the padding. The guide was simply able to tape up at the stitching near the edge of the padding however I would need to be in a smaller size before that would work. I have been trying to compensate by taping at an angle as suggested so that I still tape at the stitching.

What do you mean by fold it lengthways to fixup the leakguards?
    Fold it like a hot dog first.

I think part of the problem I am having with the Abena M4 is that I am just small enough that when I goto tape the sides, they reach too far past the stitching into the padding. The guide was simply able to tape up at the stitching near the edge of the padding however I would need to be in a smaller size before that would work. I have been trying to compensate by taping at an angle as suggested so that I still tape at the stitching.
    It's ok if the tapes reach to the padding. I'd say that if they meet in the middle and cross over, the diaper's too big. Otherwise you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    It's ok if the tapes reach to the padding. I'd say that if they meet in the middle and cross over, the diaper's too big. Otherwise you're ok.
    The top tapes are almost on top of each other. Is that still reasonable?

The top tapes are almost on top of each other. Is that still reasonable?
    If the top tapes are touching or are within 2" or so of each other, the diaper is probably too large for you. That doesn't mean it will be impossible to get a good fit, it just means you will probably have to go with a little different strategy, and there may not be a very good fit possible.

If you're leaking, what you're doing wrong depends a lot on where you're leaking and in what position you are in when wetting. I think the leaks most people are getting are in the back just under the butt cheeks and in the same place in the front lower crotch.

I believe that's 100% a problem with how you're attaching the lower tapes. I don't agree with people that tape the lower tapes either straight toward each other or upward. The lower tapes are there for two reasons, to hold the leg elastic firm around each leg, to stop those common leaks, and to help stop the diaper from slipping down your legs. So unless the diaper is too small for you, those tapes should be able to swing in and down toward the lower crotch and meet or even overlap the elastic. That's where they're best placed.

If your top tapes are almost meeting, you might be trying to tape the lowers straight toward each other too, and they're almost touching also. so there's really nothing pulling UP on the leg elastic to keep it snug and leakproof, and if the diaper just slides down you'll gap badly. If your diaper is that oversize, the lower tapes can probably go quite a ways down in the front by the elastic. Try it. It may look and feel a little weird because it's going to pucker pretty bad in the front, but I think you'll be very happy with the leak resistance. But you just won't be able to avoid the pucker if your diaper is oversize.

If you try this, let me/us know how it goes.