Thread: Skydiving!

CrinklySiren

Default Skydiving!

Ok, so im going skydiving this saturday and im 50% excited and 50% scared shitless. I was just wondering if anyone had gone before and if its fun or scary or SOMETHING, i hope SOMEONE on here has gone skydiving.

If not, then for the sake of not wasting a post, would any of you ever do it?

I've jumped a good number of times (over 100 jumps). There is no experience that really compares adequately to skydiving. It is a big thrill and definitely worth doing.

For overall sensation, there is only a couple seconds where you will actually feel like you're falling. Once you accelerate to terminal velocity, it just feels like you're floating on a cushion of air.

Went with a bunch of guys from work once. Did one jump strapped to an experienced guy.. and then one solo.

Tell you the truth didn't do much for me. Won't lie and say I wasn't terrified jumping out of the plane.. it just felt like when it was all over I expected there to be more to it.

The guys I went with had a blast though.. so maybe I'm just weird.

Here's the nice thing about skydiving... it's tandem. You're attached to a guy that knows what he's doing. And he pretty much does everything. Just enjoy the ride.

Not to say I wasn't scared shitless. When I played back the video of my fall, I got to see the expression on my face as the airplane door swung open and I looked down. I don't think I've ever made such a drastic change from excited to doomed.

But of course the fall was wonderful. I would gladly go again.

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    All you really need to know about Skydiving:

I have to say this was the funniest fucking video ive seen on sky diving.. Because of this video, despite his description, im so gonna enjoy the skydiving now !

I've been jumping for about fifteen years now, my wife jumps with me. I am closing in on a thousand jumps. As babyhawk stated, there is no real way to describe what it's like. The best way I've heard it covered is something my wife came up with: "Trying to explain what skydiving is like to someone who has never done it is like trying to explain what sex is like to a virgin."

If you're the sort of person who loves roller coasters, wild carnival rides, etc. and enjoys the adrenaline rush you get, I will warn you that this sport can be highly addictive.

CrinklySiren

UPDATE

I jumped from 15,000 feet on saturday and I have to say it was the most amazing feeling ive ever felt. It felt like flying... thats the best way i can describe it, because its true what they say, you cant find the words to describe what it felt like! It was the coolest thing ive ever seen/done in my life! and the RUSH you get is so good that after it leaves you PUMPED. I plan on going again soon to do 18,000 feet, and when I have the money i even plan to get certified because this experience was seriously life changing for me

Quote Originally Posted by 1ObsoleteBaby View Post
    UPDATE

I jumped from 15,000 feet on saturday and I have to say it was the most amazing feeling ive ever felt. It felt like flying... thats the best way i can describe it, because its true what they say, you cant find the words to describe what it felt like! It was the coolest thing ive ever seen/done in my life! and the RUSH you get is so good that after it leaves you PUMPED. I plan on going again soon to do 18,000 feet, and when I have the money i even plan to get certified because this experience was seriously life changing for me
    Glad to hear you had fun. This is a highly addictive sport. You will spend half your income on skydiving and just waste the rest.

Just wait till you find out about wind tunnels too. That will take care of any money left over from skydiving. Oh - and skydiving is *way* more fun when you can jump solo. Relative work, freefly (which I've only tried a little bit of backfly in the tunnel), wingsuiting.... all sorts of fun things to do.

Whenever you are jumping, just be sure to stay aware of your surroundings - especially under canopy. Stay safe and enjoy every second of freefall!