Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Everyone With Outdoor Pets

Default To Everyone With Outdoor Pets

Need to show a little extra attention to them with this heat wave going on. Make 100% certain they have plenty of water and plenty of shade to stay in. Many pets will die from lack of attention and cruelty during this extreme heat spell we're going through. Don't let yours be amongst them.

Neat advice there!

I hear ya...My mom and me take care of 9 outdoor cats and with this heat wave and all that fur they have...Its got to be horrible for them so I put up my sprinkler and turn it up full blast and it make a misty spray that makes them nice and cool along with cold icy water to drink too...

I agree,show your love by take good care of your furry[im talking about real animals,not human like animals]friends

To everyone with outdoor cats: keep your damn cats indoors even after the heat abates. Outdoor cats are an environmental disaster for the number of songbirds they kill every year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaChar View Post
    I hear ya...My mom and me take care of 9 outdoor cats and with this heat wave and all that fur they have...
    You take care of outdoor cats, or help the feral population reproduce?

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    To everyone with outdoor cats: keep your damn cats indoors even after the heat abates. Outdoor cats are an environmental disaster for the number of songbirds they kill every year.

- - - Updated - - -

You take care of outdoor cats, or help the feral population reproduce?
    Uhh?I thought you were about peace for everything?

And no, our cats are no longer feral,we just got our cats fixed a few months ago because my mom was tired of waking up in the middle of the night with the cats screeming at that top of their lungs and fighting like crazy.

Expensive[medicine is never cheap]but it worked...No more screeming and fighting at the middle of the night.

I take it you dont like cats[or dogs]that much?

Uhh?I thought you were about peace for everything?

And no, our cats are no longer feral,we just got our cats fixed a few months ago because my mom was tired of waking up in the middle of the night with the cats screeming at that top of their lungs and fighting like crazy.

Expensive[medicine is never cheap]but it worked...No more screeming and fighting at the middle of the night.

I take it you dont like cats[or dogs]that much?
    I love dogs. I don't love cats, but to each their own. What I hate is people who let their cats run free outdoors, or leave out food to feed the feral population. Outdoor cats (feral or owned) are really, really, really effing bad for the ecosystem.

I love dogs. I don't love cats, but to each their own. What I hate is people who let their cats run free outdoors, or leave out food to feed the feral population. Outdoor cats (feral or owned) are really, really, really effing bad for the ecosystem.
    *sighs*I feel this is where we may fight a little...Im sort of a freedom loving guy you see,and I feel that pets have the same rights as us humans...I give my cats the choice if they want to go inside or stay outside but they are so used to being outside that they usually dont like going indoors...

Cats are bad for the ecosystem?
    Strange?...I guess then im the reason that the worlds ending huh?...Oh well...The human stays in his cave by his fire,the dog runs with his pack and hunts the wild life and the cat rules the jungle sneaking up to his prey for a meal.

I have something important to add to the topic. Spray and nuter your pets!

It's stupid that I've had to capture feral cats that make home in my backyard only to take them to the pound where they are more then likely given a shot and put to sleep. Though given how aggressive feral's can be I doubt they get that kinda of a death. If you have a outdoor pet, especially cats please for the love of everything don't let them out reproduce.

Edit: I haven't read the topic and will not be responding to ANY comments about *this* post. I'll just put it like this, I have a right to use my backyard without the possibility of getting attacked by cats and getting a disease off it.

Cats are bad for the ecosystem?
    Strange?...I guess then im the reason that the worlds ending huh?...Oh well...The human stays in his cave by his fire,the dog runs with his pack and hunts the wild life and the cat rules the jungle sneaking up to his prey for a meal.
    You're sure as hell not helping. Unfortunately, the population of feral and outdoor cats is immense, and those meals they sneak up on are migratory songbirds. Including many threatened and endangered species.

If this was a predation pressure that the ecosystem was evolved to (it isn't) or the number of kills in a given period of time was inconsequential (it also isn't), then I'd say meh. But that's not the case. Letting cats live outdoors and/or supporting feral populations, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, takes a heavy toll on your world's ecosystems.

I'm not cool with that, and I'd hope you aren't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    It's stupid that I've had to capture feral cats that make home in my backyard only to take them to the pound where they are more then likely given a shot and put to sleep. Though given how aggressive feral's can be I doubt they get that kinda of a death.
    CO2 asphixiation is an accepted form of euthanasia for cats in labs as per the major regulatory agencies. I imagine it's also permissible at pounds by the same standard. Though I'm honestly not sure if non-laboratory/zoo animals are covered by the AWA.

Of course, animal shelters are notorious for ethically dubious euthanasia practices. Including PETA's shelter, which kills 95% of the animals it takes in.

I haven't read the topic and will not be responding to ANY comments about *this* post. I'll just put it like this, I have a right to use my backyard without the possibility of getting attacked by cats and getting a disease off it.
    Sounds more like practicing your right to take a stance in a debate without bothering to defending it. And I'm saying this as a person who *agrees* with everything your posted.

Sounds more like practicing your right to take a stance in a debate without bothering to defending it. And I'm saying this as a person who *agrees* with everything your posted.
    Its that I brought up this same thing in the IRC once and everyone *hated* me for it and in all likely hood might not of had to deal with it themselves. I can understand that but taking them to the pound is the only legal choice. Once you trap them in a animal cage, you in control of it. your responsible for it. If me or my dad set them free anywhere, that's animal abandonment even if it's not our cat.

Once you trap them in a animal cage, you in control of it. your responsible for it. If me or my dad set them free anywhere, that's animal abandonment even if it's not our cat.
    As an aside, I think that would be moot. Cats are territorial and have strong homing instincts. You'd need to drive a long fucking way to get far enough that it wouldn't come back.

- - - Updated - - -

Its that I brought up this same thing in the IRC once and everyone *hated* me for it and in all likely hood might not of had to deal with it themselves.
    I can't speak to IRC, but in my experience here on the boards, I think I've gained a decent amount of respect because I'll take the time to back up what I say and respond to criticisms of it. Yes, there are people here who will fly into a rage because you dare disagree with them. But they're not the majority and also tend to not gang up.

I find it hard to not automatically dismiss a viewpoint because a person has stated they won't defend it. And as I said, I'm saying this as a person who agrees with what you wrote. I find the way a person backs their stance to be at least as important as its merits.