Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical field

Default Medical field

Is there anyone else who wears who is in the medical field? I am a sales rep with a device company. I actually end up dealing with a lot of patients who need diapers. I always feel kind of weird because I am wearing them too. Anyway, I'm just curious if there is anyone else in the medical field as well.

I'm in college, but I plan to get into a medical field of some kind.

I doubt I'll mix the two at all, sanitation is a big deal in hospitals and research fields and stuff.

Well I'm sure in super sterile environments it'd be a problem. But I don't think it should disqualify you from working in the healthcare setting.

I am studying to be a doctor so i can count myself in this one Its nice to hear that there are at least some people around in the medical profession.

I asked my doctor about this sort of thing, and he said that diapers actually would disqualify someone from being a patient care tech, or CNA (certified nursing assistant). I also think that holds true for anybody else who has any contact with patients, even hospital janitors. I'm sure part of it would be linked to the sterile and hygienic part, but there's also the element of leadership that would be lacking. A certified nursing assistant is in a position of leadership over the patient, and needing to wear a diaper may compromise that. My doc told me that since I am Autistic, I can't even serve as a volunteer pushing supply carts.

Well as a rep I don't have any contact with patients. Purely observational.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell6180 View Post
    A certified nursing assistant is in a position of leadership over the patient, and needing to wear a diaper may compromise that. My doc told me that since I am Autistic, I can't even serve as a volunteer pushing supply carts.
    I fail to see how anything going on beneath your pants prevents CNA from doing their jobs. There are plenty of nurses and surgeons who use diapers during long and complicated surgeries. I mean, if a nurse or a CNA suffers from incontinence, then wearing diapers or absorbant underpads is how they manage it. I could see it being a problem if they didn't try to manage it and opted to piss all over everything, but otherwise there is no reason you wouldn't be able to do the same job as a nurse with the strongest bladder in the universe.

What you wear beneath your pants has nothing to do with your "element of leadership". As for your being autistic, unless you're incapable of following basic instructions, then autism alone wouldn't prevent you from doing any of the things a volunteer has to do with the supply cart.

It sounds to me like your doctor is basing his or her response on their personal feelings. And doctors are not always right about everything. If being a CNA, or a tech, or an employee or volunteer at the hospital interests you then do your own research. If someone with Tourette's syndrome can be a surgeon then a person with autsim can be a certified nursing assistant.

i'm a paramedic and i agree it can get alittle weird especially when i see someone in a diaper at a nursing home or something.
    Last edited by Trevor; 08-Jul-2012 at 03:55. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

I work I.T. in the medical field