Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need to get a new truck

Default i need to get a new truck

So my truck is about at the end of her life i could keep fixing her but as much as i love my truck it's gonna become a money pit soon. So i need some help finding a new truck to get, I wanna get a small truck but i have no idea what a good one to go with would be.

If you don't mind a smaller truck (by American standards) I cant recommend a hilux highly enough. I've driven my friends 3.0 turbo diesel out hunting and it was a very nice truck to drive (of corse I never got it out of Secound gear so I can't comment on higher speeds).
    Last edited by huskvarna; 06-Jul-2012 at 08:38. Reason: Remove double post

Yeah, a small truck is about the same price as a full size. An F-150 would be a decent choice. If you're looking for new, have a look at the new twin turbo V6. It has better numbers than the V8, and if you're nice to it should be better on fuel. I have a Dodge 2500 diesel that I love, and although its bigger than I really need, It is well built, safe, reliable and amazingly fuel efficient. I get about 22mpg.

To our European friends, we can't get things like the hilux. It would be nice if we could, but they don't get shipped to the US.

I forgot to say i don't want to get a brand new truck, and it has to be automatic that has good fuel economy and gas not diesel that's why I'm looking at smaller trucks and not a mid-sized ones. I was looking at getting an s10, anybody know if those are any good?

Quote Originally Posted by AnonKiba View Post
    I forgot to say i don't want to get a brand new truck, and it has to be automatic that has good fuel economy and gas not diesel that's why I'm looking at smaller trucks and not a mid-sized ones. I was looking at getting an s10, anybody know if those are any good?
    The S-10 hasn't been manufactured in a decade now. Ignoring the awful quality and other defects the last generation of the S-10 had (late 1990s, and the similar Blazers were also unreliable disasters), the newest example of an S-10 you'll find is now nine model years old. The S-10s of the early 1990s were pretty solid, but then you're talking about a truck that might be old enough to buy alcohol.

The Ranger was made until last year, so finding a recent example won't be too hard. Because the design didn't change much through the life of the model, the components are pretty well proven. The 4-cylinder with a manual transmission will do almost 30 mpg on the highway. The 3.0 Vulcan V6 was one of the most stalwart engines Ford's made in recent times and have seen a lot of duty in Tauruses from 1986 to 2006 as well as the Ranger. The 4.0 V6 is also pretty reliable as well, and that engine was the only one that was put into 4x4 models, but the 4.0 also likes its gas.

I'll second (or third or whatever) the recommendation of the F-150. While you said you wanted a small pickup, sadly there are very few options in the U.S. market in that regard. The Colorado/Canyon are kinda awful, and I cannot recommend a Toyota with any degree of good conscience about me. The F-150 is a beautiful truck, and the Ecoboost V6 puts out more HP and torque than the V8s of a few years ago while being rated for 22 mpg highway besides. And, there are a ton of F-150s on the road with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

Happy truck shopping, and let us know what you get eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    the Ecoboost V6 puts out more HP and torque than the V8s of a few years ago
    haha v6 and Eco in the same sentence, you Americans have funny ideas about fuel economy.

I drive a 2004 Dodge Dakota, not really many negatives to say about it. I can get 300-500 KMS out of a tank of about 100 Liters (sorry I'm Canadian :P) depending on whether I do a lot of city or highway driving. I have the 4.7l v8, it will tow a considerable amount for the size of the truck. The thing about its size is it's relatively inexpensive and will do the job, if you're looking for something cheaper.

Toyota Tacoma, have many friends that have them & they are great trucks too!! So many options with them as well, if I had to get a small truck, I'd go with a Tacoma!!

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    haha v6 and Eco in the same sentence, you Americans have funny ideas about fuel economy.
    Lolz, yeah. The whole "Ecoboost" thing is a marketing name, almost a marketing sham. It's Ford's name for their family of twin-turbo direct injection engines, with the idea being that smaller displacement means better fuel economy. What they don't tell you, though, is that in spite of the excellent tuning you still have to run the engine harder to get the same HP and torque you'd get at lower RPM from a bigger displacement engine. What this means to the average motorist is that you're going to get great mileage at 60-65 miles per hour, a speed that no one ever drives in the real world because freeway speeds are much faster. Once you get up to 80, you're paying a substantial mileage penalty, and if you tow with it, don't be surprised when your mileage numbers drop quicker than a stone.

The trick with the Ecoboost in the F-150 is it is a perfect fit for how an overwhelming majority of truck owners use their trucks. For the 98 percent of the time the average truck owner (these are not scientifically determined statistics) is using the truck as a normal daily driver, he or she will gain the mileage benefits that the smaller displacement engine offers, especially in non-freeway settings. For the other two percent of the time, the truck will have plenty of power to tow or haul.

And really, it's not Ford's fault. Thanks to the asinine way the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets the mileage testing standards, the automakers are pretty much forced to design their vehicles for maximum mileage at speeds a small minority of motorists drive at regularly. Almost 80 percent (this is a real number, not a pulled-out-of-thin-air number) of Americans live in an urban or suburban setting (urban area as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, and the definition's a bit wonky), so the likelihood of a motorist being able to drive a constant rural highway speed of 55-65 miles per hour is simply unrealistic. But, the EPA testing standards force carmakers to design for a standard that hasn't had major relevance in several decades.