Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding - Bad For The Diaper?

jj2jjj

Default Flooding - Bad For The Diaper?

So obviously diapers are designed for the incontinent. As far as I'm aware those who suffer from incontinence don't flood but leak in small spurts regularly.

Diapers are made to wick away at that speed, now the speed of flooding. Has anybody ever tested just doing small spurts and seeing if a diaper lasted longer? It seems like it would haha. By lasting longer I mean longer without leaking.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The other thing is that by doing it slowly, it has more time to absorb into other parts of the diaper, rather than just trying to escape from the location of the flood. When it's flooded, it doesn't have time to absorb into other parts, so it will escape where ever there's an opening. IE, sides of the diaper. =\

Quote Originally Posted by jj2jjj View Post
    So obviously diapers are designed for the incontinent. As far as I'm aware those who suffer from incontinence don't flood but leak in small spurts regularly.

Diapers are made to wick away at that speed, now the speed of flooding. Has anybody ever tested just doing small spurts and seeing if a diaper lasted longer? It seems like it would haha. By lasting longer I mean longer without leaking.
    They do, but any diaper has a absolute limit of how much it can hold. But stuff like dry 24/7, Abena M4's/X-plus, Bambino's all get uncomofrtable for most people before they would start leaking.

Another thing to do is if your male point yourself to the rear of the diaper. If you leave it pointed up only the front will ever get wet and the diaper no matter how good will never absorb as much. so point it down first and at some point to the front.. Just don't reach in to do it and if you do please, wash your hands. <_>

Quote Originally Posted by jj2jjj View Post
    As far as I'm aware those who suffer from incontinence don't flood but leak in small spurts regularly.
    Not always. There are a number of common types of incontinence. "Overflow", "urge", and "stress" look to be the most common. Overflow is like you are describing above. Stress is like when climbing stairs or coughing and get an unexpected shot out. Urge though can be a flooder, that's when your bladder decides with zero warning that it's bursting full and you either empty out completely or have to streak to a bathroom due to the pressure and pain.

Spreading out the wetting over time definitely helps. Different diaper designs wick faster or slower - generally high pulp and cloth wick faster than high sap. If you give the diaper time to move the liquid around to far areas of the padding, you can go longer before risking a leak.

Your position when wetting is also pretty important. Sitting is probably the most risky. Standing is ok. Laying on your back will get you the most mileage, as you'll be able to use the full amount of the padding in the back. But only if you fill it slowly and give it time to wick.

i like the feel of the depends real fit breifs... but no leak guards, if you flood them they will leak no matter what position... if you let it out slow i've had them hold 2 wettings with out leaking. i've had more leaks flooding laying down then standing up. guess it really depends

I have flooded a diaper several times.
    It best to do standing and not sit for a few so it can get absorbed or,
    laying down and still give it time to absorb.

Just dont do anything that involves a lot of movement or pressure of the diaper or sitting the moment after.
    Just enough time for it to absorb it.
    In my personal experiences when I did that I was fine, but I learned the hard way tho. :P

I'd also suggest taping the diaper to seal around the legs, particularly with the lower tapes on adult diapers. So many people try to tape those either toward each-other or UP, and then they wonder why they leak. The lower tapes are there to make a leakproof seal around your two legs, NOT to pull the diaper in toward your body, that's what the top tapes are for. Of course it's a different story for pull-ups, and diapers with only the one pair of tapes (baby and Cushies/DryKids) are going to leak at the first hint of a flood.

Different diapers have different sorts of leak guards. (and some don't even have leak guards) They're also aka "standing leak guards", because they're most helpful to stop floods from leaking while standing. I prefer diapers with really tall leak guards with good elastic in them. Bambinos have really good leak guards and handle floods in any position really well.

I have reflex incontinence (similar to urge except I have little or no bladder sensation so I don't feel the actual urge) and I do sometimes flood, particularly first thing in the morning, or when standing up after having been sitting down for a while. The rest of the time it comes in little spurts less than half a glassful at a time spread out over an hour or so. Flooding is definitely more prone to leaking round the legs because it doesn't have time to absorb and the padding gets overwhelmed in one place. I also find that a diaper I've been wearing for a few hours, even if dry for most f that time, is more prone to leaking because just sitting and walking around causes it to bunch up in the crotch area.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    I also find that a diaper I've been wearing for a few hours, even if dry for most f that time, is more prone to leaking because just sitting and walking around causes it to bunch up in the crotch area.
    I'll attest to that. My biggest leak issues are almost always when the padding all decides to move to one side or the other under my shorts/pants. Then I get a leak on the other side due to no padding on that side.