Thread: Job Security in an Unstable Economy

Default Job Security in an Unstable Economy

In case you were looking for an occupation that would not feel the bumps and bruises of the economy, it seems there's at least one:

Prostitution has not suffered drop-off despite economic meltdown

I thought this was kind of funny.. though, admittedly I am not that surprised . What do you think?

best sector for job security is being a assassin. "As long as there's two people left in the world someone is going to want someone else dead." -Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

But really there are certain jobs that will always thrive such as gas station workers, car dealerships, food stores, banks etc.

Also prostitution and being a assassin are the two oldest professions in the world, or so its claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    But really there are certain jobs that will always thrive such as gas station workers, car dealerships, food stores, banks etc.
    My daughter, who cashiers in a supermarket, hasn't noticed any letup with customers during these harder financial times. Don't know what it is with people, bad economy or not they refuse to stop eating.

On a serious note, she is experiencing a lot less credit card usage by customers, so at least some people are taking the hint from economists about reducing debt.

~Pramrider

I think the first things to go in a bad economy are the extravagances. Personally if I ran a pricey day spa or a bed & breakfast or maybe a Cadillac dealership I would be worried. Personally, I am a bit frightened as to what might happen and I'm not spending money on things I want. There are a few things I was thinking about buying, but am holding off on due to the shaky economy; I would like a new car, but I've decided to try and get a few more years out of the one I have, I'd love to have a washer/dryer in my apartment - I hate going to the laundromat, and I do have the hook ups for them and I'd like a new living room set. Sure, I can finance the furniture, get a Lowe's credit card for the washer/dryer and car dealerships are all but too happy to arrange for a car loan for me, but the way things are, I, like most people are becoming worried. I've seen my retirement savings, meager as they may be, almost wiped out in a matter of weeks. I'm not as scared as some with that, I know I'm only 25 and have a long way to go before retirement, but it's a scary thought anyway.

At least Wall St. had a great day today, but I haven't recouped my losses.

Sorry for the long post, I get worked up sometimes.

Darkfinn

It really depends on where you work... if you work in luxury item sales or manufacturing you are definately going to see a pinch. If you work in necessity sales or at, say, Wal-Mart... you will notice an increase in sales.

Thankfully my company has been doing better than most *knocks on wood*... technology is always growing and moving forward, no matter what the economy does.

Y'all just need to wait till the Holidays come around... if you want to gauge how the economy is really doing outside of wall street, there will be your answer. If Holiday purchases are down, middle America is hurting bad.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    There are a few things I was thinking about buying, but am holding off on due to the shaky economy; I would like a new car, but I've decided to try and get a few more years out of the one I have, I'd love to have a washer/dryer in my apartment - I hate going to the laundromat, and I do have the hook ups for them and I'd like a new living room set. Sure, I can finance the furniture, get a Lowe's credit card for the washer/dryer and car dealerships are all but too happy to arrange for a car loan for me, but the way things are, I, like most people are becoming worried.
    You are doing yourself a favor in the long run by not financing stuff that's not absolutely necessary. One reason why so many people are having problems right now is because they bought more than they could really afford, whether it was a too-expensive McMansion or a nice car or an HDTV. People who went out and spent their $600 from the government on something nice for themselves when they had bills to pay were being foolish.

Judging by the massive number of car dealership ads I'm hearing on the radio these days and the offers they seem willing to make ("no credit? bad credit? no problem!") I'm guessing most are fairly desperate. The only ones that might be doing well are those that mainly sell small fuel-efficient cars, and while I've heard Honda Civics are on back-order around here, the rest of the dealers seem to be hurting. I certainly wouldn't want to have a lot full of Ford Explorers right now.

Peachy

Here's what people need regardless how much money they have:

- food
    - shelter
    - sex.

So if you work in any of the related industries, you shouldn't suffer any significant losses from the current "crisis". Of course all three things include a wide range of items, and if you work in a fancy expensive restaurant your job is less stable than people working in bakeries or grocery stores, and I've seen people moving into tents because they lost their houses over there in America, so maybe you want to get hired by a tentmaker?!

Peachy