Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still no power.

Default Still no power.

Am I the only one still without power? Also my state is in "a state of emergency" and I haven't been able to get to work would I qualify for low earnings something in that sort? But it's been hell here in WV anyone else felling the same way?

Sorry if this seams cold but what did your great grandparents do before electric power? We had two 10 day outages here in CT last year and the ones who wen't for the govment hand outs were the inner city residents who didn't lose power. I spent the 10 days after Irene cutting trees, clearing brush, repairing chainsaws and generators for neighbors and the like. I was glad not to have to work though I did help with damage at the shop and did not concider applying for government handouts.
    What has happened to America's pioneering spirit?

My Amish neighbors think all of this is funny.
    The last time I lost power it was for a week and I made out fine. I had planned for it and it wasn't that big of a deal.
    Quit looking for a hand out from the government every time something happens.

Quite frankly. If you want to bitch about something. Do something to correct the situation. Find out how you can help fix things. Not just for yourself but for the good of your neighbors as well.

I'm just curious about one thing...if you are "still without power" (implying that it's been several days...I'm not up on the weather/news in the US)...how are you online complaining about it?

After Hurricane Juan (September 2003), a mere cat 2 storm, most of my province was without power for 7-10 days (some a little longer). And then in February 2004 we were hit once again by a storm, this time a raging blizzard dubbed "White Juan" which dumped several feet (1.5m) of snow with winds in excess of 120km/h over a 2 day period, and was followed by even more power outages than the Hurricane had caused.

So what did people do in freezing cold eastern Canada in February, with no electricity for 10 days or more? Well, they got out the candles and the kerosene lamps, they played board games, card games, read a lot of books. They cooked on BBQs and camp stoves and bundled up to sleep. Obviously the elderly and the very young were taken to places with generators to eat/sleep. Some people were lucky enough to live in homes (even apartments) with 'hot water heating' which (as long as there was oil/wood to fuel the furnace) kept them warm.

During the aftermath of both storms, I had to go to the fire department in my area several times to recharge my cell phone (my only means of communication, as well as being my clock). Crazy as it may seem...the worst wasn't the lack of heat (snow is an amazing insulator), but the lack of electricity to operate the pump for the well (I lived outside of the town limits so did not have 'city' water). 10+ days is a lonnnnnng time to go when one has to use buckets of water to make the toilet flush!

Quote Originally Posted by ayanna View Post
    I'm just curious about one thing...if you are "still without power" (implying that it's been several days...I'm not up on the weather/news in the US)...how are you online complaining about it?

After Hurricane Juan (September 2003), a mere cat 2 storm, most of my province was without power for 7-10 days (some a little longer). And then in February 2004 we were hit once again by a storm, this time a raging blizzard dubbed "White Juan" which dumped several feet (1.5m) of snow with winds in excess of 120km/h over a 2 day period, and was followed by even more power outages than the Hurricane had caused.

So what did people do in freezing cold eastern Canada in February, with no electricity for 10 days or more? Well, they got out the candles and the kerosene lamps, they played board games, card games, read a lot of books. They cooked on BBQs and camp stoves and bundled up to sleep. Obviously the elderly and the very young were taken to places with generators to eat/sleep. Some people were lucky enough to live in homes (even apartments) with 'hot water heating' which (as long as there was oil/wood to fuel the furnace) kept them warm.

During the aftermath of both storms, I had to go to the fire department in my area several times to recharge my cell phone (my only means of communication, as well as being my clock). Crazy as it may seem...the worst wasn't the lack of heat (snow is an amazing insulator), but the lack of electricity to operate the pump for the well (I lived outside of the town limits so did not have 'city' water). 10+ days is a lonnnnnng time to go when one has to use buckets of water to make the toilet flush!
    I am using my cell phone's Internet and charging it using my car. Wow I can't believe how much hate I got after just asking a few questions for some information.

It's not really hate my friend, more distaste people don't like hearing people complain a bout minor inconveniences like power outs, most people can can cope, how about people with real problems, only a couple of days ago I heard about a flash flood that pushed in the door of an old lady's down stairs flat when the 3' of water drained off she had 12 inches of sand left behind, now that's an incontinence!!! Also if your charging your phone in your CAR how come you can't get to work?

Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    Am I the only one still without power? Also my state is in "a state of emergency" and I haven't been able to get to work would I qualify for low earnings something in that sort? But it's been hell here in WV anyone else felling the same way?
    You didn't ask for ideas to help yourself survive. You asked if you qualified for a handout. What did you expect.
    The advice that ayanna gave you was sound. Band together with those around you and figure out how you can help each other first. Aid may be a long time in coming.

i went threee weeks with no power no clean water no gas no nothing after ike and i had just had surgery the day b4 it hit so yea and it was hot as hell

I have lived in this apartment for 6 years and I kept on getting frequent power outages at 4 of the month and the middle of the month. It has not been doing that since. But I just had a lightning storm that busted the A/C unit and had to get it fixed. But with these heat waves, I hope people don't use too much A/C and set it at 80'F and set at 75'F during a major heatwave and use fans. When the power is out, all I have is a few radios and some LED lanterns, and it gets very hot inside.