Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browsers

Default Browsers

OK, diapered prodigies, I'm tired of IE9 puking on me. I'm aware of Firefox and Chrome as alternates. Tell me why (or why not....) I should choose one or the other. Feel free to throw in other viable options if any.

I've got a 3 yr old Compaq with 7550 dual core processor and Vista Home Premium

No, I'm not interested in ante'ing up cash for another operating system. If it came to that, I'd buy a new 'puter and turn this one into a UNIX machine for experimental/learning purposes.

Also, if it makes any difference, I'm using some version of McAfee I get free from my ISP. As you've no doubt figured out from posts on other topics, cheap is my middle name.

In all honesty Microsoft actually made a lot of improvements in IE9 that make it less crappy than one would have you believe. I'm not sure whats "puking on ya" on but it can probably be fixed. Any browser will derp on you if it needs some tweaking or fixing. My dad botched his IE8 on Xp and I fixed it up so it quit being stupid. Chromium acts up on me sometimes, but it's usually Flash related.

The big 5 I'm aware of are Opera, Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari.

I've never once come across a browser you've had to pay for. So in reality, go nuts and experiment with a ton as they're all freeware. I've tried at least 10 back when I used Windows before settling on Chrome for it's interfaces, tools, and integration. I use Chromium on Linux systems (just open source Chrome).

There are browsers geared towards "power users" (developers, tinkerers, ect.) and then are browsers that are designed to be slim for old systems (Konquerer on Linux for example.) Then there are browsers geared toward media (Rockmelt) If ya just want something fresh that hopefully won't derp, try Firefox for a few days, Chrome for a few days, and Opera for a few days. Then settle on what you want that works best for you and isn't glitchy. Make sure ya read on how to use them properly to get the most out of your browser. If your not a "power user" well then just settle on a browser that doesn't crash, is fast, and is secure. Any in the big 5 these days are quite apt (even *gasp* some of the new IE9 features!)

If you want to tinker with 20+ browsers like I have in the past (I love shiny new toys) have a look here: http://majorgeeks.com/downloads5.html
    Just make sure the browser you download is still supported and visit the developer's website for any information as that is just a download site (not everything is a browser there, old as hell browsers such as IE7 still there.)

If you want my honest opinion considering your comp specs, give Chrome a try first. In time I think you'll like it not only for it's security, speed, and customization, but it's ease of use frankly.

Have fun!

You probably can't go too wrong with either FF or Chrome. As Geno said, just try both and see which one works best. I've tried both Opera and Safari and I don't like either of them as much as FF, though I use Safari as a back-up browser simply because it gets updated automatically every time iTunes is updated (stupid reason, granted).

Personally I use FireFox because I have a set of add-ons I really like (ABP, IE tab, Ghostey, NoScript, FlagFox and Foxytunes being the main ones). Since I'm fairly satisfied with the experience I currently have (for a while I was considering switching to Chrome because my browser was getting buggy, but ever since I uninstalled my old antivirus everything has been smooth so I am not less than convinced that it was a browser issue) I haven't given Chrome a fair chance and as thus I am not really qualified to speak about it.

i've tried IE, firefox and chrome, in that order. IE had too few options and ran very slowly (i'm on an XP laptop), firefox turned out to be very good until one update, and it became slower than IE and very buggy.
    after that, i switched to chrome because of the portable chrome option (you can put it on a flash drive so you don't have to worry about histories or preferences) and i've stuck with it because it's simple, effective, and fast. i've yet to have any sort of issue with it.

if i can run something well on this computer, then your computer would have no issues with speed whatsoever.
    Like Geno said, though: they're all freeware, so experiment with them all and decide which ones you like best ^^

I can't improve on what Geno has said. My personal experience is that I use both FF and Chrome, depending on what I want to do. On the laptop I'm presently using, FF seems to work better for going on adisc. It has a good spell checker which I desperately need, it's reasonably fast, and it remembers my password. Chrome does not remember my password no matter how many times I tell it to. I think I have a bad installation and when I get some time, I'm going to uninstall and re-install it.

The benefits of Chrome, especially on my desk top, is that it's direct and fast. You can go immediately to Google search, Images, and all the other things which Google has to offer. Like others have said, try both and see how they serve your specific needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Also, if it makes any difference, I'm using some version of McAfee I get free from my ISP. As you've no doubt figured out from posts on other topics, cheap is my middle name.
    Not going to recommend a browser, but I'll recommend other anti-malware software: MalwareBytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG.

Whether you go for Chrome or Firefox is entirely up to you. I have Chrome with Reddit Enhancement Suite, NotScripts (similar to NoScripts, but it's not as secure), Chrome to Phone (lets me send what's on my computer's browser to my phone's broswer), and MightyText (which notifies me of text messages and allows me to reply from my computer).

Thanks kids, just the sort of input I was looking for.

I'll probably start with Firefox and go from there.

Power user? Took my first programming class in 1969. Somewhere around here, I've got DOS 2.0 and Lotus 1.0 floppies. Yeah, I can tweak. I'm just tired of reinventing the wheel every time some closet case in Silicon Valley or Redmond foists a new rev on me. IE8 was stable, I got tricked somehow into an update to 9 and started having problems. Yeah, I could tweak 9 or go back to 8, but if Ford tricks you, do you buy another Ford? Browsers don't interest me enough for it to be a fun project.

Rant over. No reflection on you guys at all. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    The benefits of Chrome, especially on my desk top, is that it's direct and fast. You can go immediately to Google search, Images, and all the other things which Google has to offer. Like others have said, try both and see how they serve your specific needs.
    This would be a reason for me to choose Firefox. Yes, I use Google for a lot of things, but I'm wary of software that considers itself the center of the universe.

Firefox has a really nice UI compared to other browsers (especially Opera!), and the wide range of add-ons makes it great for control freaks like me!

But, run all those add-ons on a bloated media-rich site and... well... in my experience, Firefox doesn't always work that well (content fails to load properly, etc.). So, for media-heavy sites or sites where I want tracking cookies to work (when doing cashback referrals, etc.), I use Chrome or Chromium.

I've never been a fan of Internet Explorer -- the fact that it supports ActiveX seems to make it more vulnerable to security threats. And it only runs under Windows...

Although there are many web browsers available, a lot of them share the same rendering engine so will essentially display web pages in the same way. For example, the Gecko rendering engine underpins Firefox, Camino, K-Melon, Netscape, SeaMonkey, etc/; while the WebKit rendering engine is used for Chrome, Safari, Midori, Maxthon 3, etc.

Firefox is highly extensible and customisable. There are a wide variety of addons in the official repository which can make it do practically anything you want it to.

Chrome is lightweight, fast and requires little maintenance. You install it and it works. However, its lack of an official addon repository makes it less customisable than Firefox (though I think Google might be working to fix that).

I perfer firefox but if you don't like it try google chrome.