Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Google Nexus 7 or "how I came to love the Kindle Fire killer"

  1. #1

    Default Google Nexus 7 or "how I came to love the Kindle Fire killer"

    Google Confirms $199 Asus Nexus 7 Android Tablet

    Google's throwing down with Amazon and Apple hardcore now. the only bade news is no memory card slot which I don't get at all. Its not like people would root/hack the device to install android on it, considering it's *ALREADY* running android!

  2. #2

    Default

    I've been following up on it and Google has said that they are getting no profit with the Nexus 7. Then again, their main priority is advertising. It is a good thing that they are releasing a top of the line tablet with entry-level prices.

    I'm personally just waiting till one of my store's distributors gets it. It would be a lot easier to sell the Nexus 7 than the Kindle Fire.

  3. #3

    Default

    Is that because of the price? They talked about this on NPR today and they said the Nexus was made in the U. S, unlike Apple. They also said it was a little more expensive to make. That may be one reason why they aren't making a profit. I personally have a Nook Book, which does less I suppose, but I like it for reading books. My Nook does have a memory card which seems like a good idea. I like the instant purchasing ability with the Nook (which would be the same for any other I platform) and I like the fact that I can make the print larger. I also like its portability.

    My wife is bound to her Ipod. I think one of its strengths is its larger size. We'll read e-mail together and pictures which are sent to us can be expanded to fill out the larger screen, making the picture larger. My guess is that individuals use will drive the market. We buy the things which suit and meet our needs.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Is that because of the price? They talked about this on NPR today and they said the Nexus was made in the U. S, unlike Apple. They also said it was a little more expensive to make. That may be one reason why they aren't making a profit. I personally have a Nook Book, which does less I suppose, but I like it for reading books. My Nook does have a memory card which seems like a good idea. I like the instant purchasing ability with the Nook (which would be the same for any other I platform) and I like the fact that I can make the print larger. I also like its portability.

    My wife is bound to her Ipod. I think one of its strengths is its larger size. We'll read e-mail together and pictures which are sent to us can be expanded to fill out the larger screen, making the picture larger. My guess is that individuals use will drive the market. We buy the things which suit and meet our needs.
    Well with the specs alone it's a really good price and with the added fact it comes with the newest android OS which is the 2nd most popular OS behind apple's iOS. i wouldn't be suprised if googles taking at loss seeling these so cheap. But this has worked for sony and microsoft with the consoles. They sell the video game consoles for lower then production and people buy video games that are priced ten dollars more then normal netting sony/MS the money back and then some.

  5. #5

    Default

    Looks like one heck of a seller!

    Just one thing:


    Its not like people would root/hack the device to install android on it, considering it's *ALREADY* running android!
    It would definately be rooted anyway, after all the kindle fire had no memory card slot and it's been rooted by devs and enthusiasts many times over. Rooting refers to exploiting a vulnerability in the OS which will give the user Super User privilages. And with Super User privilages you can: install custom roms, overclock / underclock, firewall programs, uninstall preinstalled crapware, perform system backups, and et cetera.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    Looks like one heck of a seller!

    Just one thing:


    It would definately be rooted anyway, after all the kindle fire had no memory card slot and it's been rooted by devs and enthusiasts many times over. Rooting refers to exploiting a vulnerability in the OS which will give the user Super User privilages. And with Super User privilages you can: install custom roms, overclock / underclock, firewall programs, uninstall preinstalled crapware, perform system backups, and et cetera.
    I thoughjt android lets you use coustom roms or doesn't stop it as much as kindle fire, nook, or iOS.

  7. #7

    Default

    Well Android does let you use custom roms, however one must have Super User privilages and usually another program to assist with that. And as for the kindle or nook, they run Android, but they have cosmetically modified versions of Android (but still the same on the inside). Kindle fire running 2.3 as well as the nook tablet, and nook color running 2.2.

    But getting back to the point, Google's tablet will probably be a very stable tablet unlike let's say the kindle fire which updates automatically whenever a new update is forced from Amazon and will break someone's root access if they've rooted. So if root was accomplished on the nexus 7, hopefully the default updating on the nexus 7 might give you the option to update your firmware version or not.

    So nook tablet / color and kindle fire aren't as root friendly because of updates but I'm sure Google's nexus 7 will be root friendly and by that I mean not updating itself and removing root. Just going to say this also, DO NOT root unless you really know what you're doing otherwise you could end up with an expensive paperweight. So all of you out there thinking about it, heed that warning, I almost bricked my phone when I tried rooting the first time.

    And an almost bricked device was so not fun...

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    Well Android does let you use custom roms, however one must have Super User privilages and usually another program to assist with that. And as for the kindle or nook, they run Android, but they have cosmetically modified versions of Android (but still the same on the inside). Kindle fire running 2.3 as well as the nook tablet, and nook color running 2.2.

    But getting back to the point, Google's tablet will probably be a very stable tablet unlike let's say the kindle fire which updates automatically whenever a new update is forced from Amazon and will break someone's root access if they've rooted. So if root was accomplished on the nexus 7, hopefully the default updating on the nexus 7 might give you the option to update your firmware version or not.

    So nook tablet / color and kindle fire aren't as root friendly because of updates but I'm sure Google's nexus 7 will be root friendly and by that I mean not updating itself and removing root. Just going to say this also, DO NOT root unless you really know what you're doing otherwise you could end up with an expensive paperweight. So all of you out there thinking about it, heed that warning, I almost bricked my phone when I tried rooting the first time.

    And an almost bricked device was so not fun...
    I only hacked/rooted my Wii, PSP until there were guides up explaining the process and putting it into english on what each step does. I haven't hacked mt Ps3 since it's still under warrenty and there's no acessing PSN with custom firmware on it I think. So I would lose my PS+ subsription whicj is good until like oct 2013.

    This is also why I haven't over clocked my CPU by .2 GHz is that I don't want to destroy the CPU with too high voltage or overheating. Since it would stick be the stock cooling system.

  9. #9

    Default

    With Cloud storage and the ability to move from iTunes to Google Cloud there isn't a huge need for USB or SD card in my eyes. But it would have been nice to plug an SD card in to view pictures. Hopefully it ships soon, I ordered probably an hour after they announced. Has anyone used casesbuy.com? The Google store hasn't released the case for purchase yet.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    With Cloud storage and the ability to move from iTunes to Google Cloud there isn't a huge need for USB or SD card in my eyes. But it would have been nice to plug an SD card in to view pictures. Hopefully it ships soon, I ordered probably an hour after they announced. Has anyone used casesbuy.com? The Google store hasn't released the case for purchase yet.
    I know I can upload a few thousand of my own songs to googles cloud for free and I have. Even got it setup to automatic do that with my main music folder. but asides from buying stuff from google, I don't think there's a way to upload your own files to the cloud for free something like dropbox or watever. And even if it was free I'm guessing it would be capped at 5 GB's.


    Okay yeah, google has 5 GB's of free storage on "Google Drive" it would be insane if Nexus 7 tablet can't access this. so a nexus 7 would have 8 or 16 GB of storage and then you get a extra 5 GB's for free but online. As well as uploading hours upon hours of your music to their cloud system.


    Also 4.99 or 9.99 a month gets you a extra 100GB or 200GB of storage in Google Drive "cloud". Not bad at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2012, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.