Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is PayPal's 'Bill Me Later' option worth it for ordering diapers?

Exclamation Is PayPal's 'Bill Me Later' option worth it for ordering diapers?

They have a limited time offer on PayPal right now that if you sign up for Bill Me Later before 6/30 you get $5 back and no interest on your first purchase with no minimum long as you pay it back within 6 months. I was just gonna get a package of Bambinos.... or maybe a case....
    But, either way, do you think Bill Me Later's a good option for that? I can afford $60 in 6 months. Easily. Has anyone successfully used Bill Me Later?

My impression of BillMeLater is that it's a credit line, and would therefore need a credit check. If you have a good credit history that would be OK.

Yes, Bill Me Later is essentially a credit card that's integrated with PayPal and eBay. I am loath to recommend applying for a new line of credit in order to make a $60 purchase. If discreetness is the goal, I would instead suggest prepaid Visa gift cards or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Yes, Bill Me Later is essentially a credit card that's integrated with PayPal and eBay. I am loath to recommend applying for a new line of credit in order to make a $60 purchase. If discreetness is the goal, I would instead suggest prepaid Visa gift cards or similar.
    Point taken. Frankly, I think I'm at the brink of a binge point, so I've just got this growing urge to buy diapers right now. I mean, to the point where half of me wants to risk it and go ahead and chalk it up to my debit card anyway.

CrinklySiren

It is definately a credit card, i know because I have the Paypal credit card, im not sure if it is the exact same thing but it might as well be, if you want to do that just open a Paypal card, its free and it helps raise your credit if you want too :P assuming you dont have a bunch of other credit cards, My only cards are paypal and amazon cards. The paypal card is called Smart Connect ;D I use it all the time... though after my latest binge, i now owe about 430$ >_____<

Bill Me Later is definitely a credit line. Not quite a credit card, more like a car lease. Pay it off in 6 months, and that's all you pay. I wouldn't do it for $60, but maybe for a couple of cases. I've used it when building computers and I'm spending around $1,500 at a time.

They're just trying to get you comfortable with carrying a balance... that's the #1 way credit card companies make money, is from their customers that carry a balance. (don't pay the card off completely every month) So they're willing to toss you a little bone to encourage you to carry balances more in the future.

Stuff like this I say "take the money and run". Take advantage of the offer, but don't end up pissing away the little you got out of it by carrying balances later. You'll lose more than you got over the course of a few months interest, or one late fee.

I think I'll stay away from this because credit cards are evil. And I still live with my parents so its a definitely a no go.

hmm... paypal can be a little... iffy. personally, i'd much rather just pay the $5 for a prepaid visa and not have to worry about credit and paying off the balance.
    i think i'm going to start using a onevanilla card. you can get them at walgreens and cvs, and some gas stations, and check your balance online, all that fun stuff. being that paypal has somewhat of a bad rep, it eliminates them altogether.

They never mail you statements, only e-mail and you have to pay on line. They want access to your checking acct #'s. If you forget to pay or don't pay by the due date they harrass you (phone calls) and charge you interest and late charges. I had a $10 purchase and I ended up fighting the interest because I didn't pay on time and still got hammered with a late charge of about $5, I think so I closed my BillMeLater account. Stil use paypal and my regular credit card account because I can dispute purchases easier if I don't receive them or if they are defective.