Thread: Considering falling off the grid for a while...

Default Considering falling off the grid for a while...

Backstory: I've been growing increasingly depressed with life in general. It's all so redundant and circular, the way we live. We all go to college so we can get a good job. We get jobs so we can buy houses. Which we're rarely in because we're always working. And we buy gas with the money from those jobs to have enough in our tanks to drive to work every day. We buy food from heavily commercialized, loaded up, bullshit companies that draw the blood from the same economy that fuels the outsourcing of jobs overseas and then sit on facebook and bitch about how there are no jobs left. The list goes on and on, and we all do this with the hope that maybe if we bust ass hard enough, eventually it will pay off in the form of vacation days --so we can pretend our lives are interesting, so we can give ourselves the illusion of change-- and pensions --basically counting on hope that the economy doesn't go to shit in the 20-40 years we'll be in a job so we might be lucky enough to have the last quarter of our lives to actually live a little.

Plan:
    I posted the above in a note on Facebook yesterday because I felt like ranting, and everyone kept commenting with the same tone.
    "That's just the way it is, kid. That's life. You gotta play the game." etc.
    My question, does it really have to be? Why do we need to feed this broken system just because it's 'safe' and 'practical'?
    I've spent the past 6 months extensively mapping freight rails, food sources, communes, hostels, and friends houses I could stop at all across the country. I've been saving up my money to bring along some emergency money, just in case, and I've also contemplated bringing my guitar to make some money as I go along.
    Basically, I have a plan to disappear. Hop on a freight train and ride out somewhere else. Explore the world. I don't want to be pinholed as just another one on the hamster wheel. I'm terrified of that.
    Have any of you seriously thought/contemplated something similar?

Hop a freight! This is not a good plan. The modern day freight cars don't have the grab irons like in the old days and most have the doors closed before they are moved. Where do you ride?
    The trains travel at a lot higher speed. If your lucky you'll only loose a arm or leg.
    I have lived and worked half my life around the yards.
    Another thing you'll need to be careful of is the few boes you do run into. They will clean you out in the blink of a eye. They are a rough lot most with drinking and drug problems. It's not like the stories you hear from the depression.
    If you want to get out on the road you would do better to take your money get a CDL and drive truck cross country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Hop a freight! This is not a good plan. The modern day freight cars don't have the grab irons like in the old days and most have the doors closed before they are moved. Where do you ride?
    The trains travel at a lot higher speed. If your lucky you'll only loose a arm or leg.
    I have lived and worked half my life around the yards.
    Another thing you'll need to be careful of is the few boes you do run into. They will clean you out in the blink of a eye. They are a rough lot most with drinking and drug problems. It's not like the stories you hear from the depression.
    If you want to get out on the road you would do better to take your money get a CDL and drive truck cross country.

I don't have the money to get a CDL and ride cross country. On top of that, I'm not planning to go by myself, and on top of that I have short-distance hopping experience and I've even met a few people and they've been nothing but very nice. Not saying they speak for the whole lot. I'm just saying. I know it's a risk, but what's life without risk? It seems people have forgotten what risking it to live a little truly means nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyAllie View Post
    Backstory: I've been growing increasingly depressed with life in general. It's all so redundant and circular, the way we live. We all go to college so we can get a good job. We get jobs so we can buy houses. Which we're rarely in because we're always working. And we buy gas with the money from those jobs to have enough in our tanks to drive to work every day. We buy food from heavily commercialized, loaded up, bullshit companies that draw the blood from the same economy that fuels the outsourcing of jobs overseas and then sit on facebook and bitch about how there are no jobs left. The list goes on and on, and we all do this with the hope that maybe if we bust ass hard enough, eventually it will pay off in the form of vacation days --so we can pretend our lives are interesting, so we can give ourselves the illusion of change-- and pensions --basically counting on hope that the economy doesn't go to shit in the 20-40 years we'll be in a job so we might be lucky enough to have the last quarter of our lives to actually live a little.

Plan:
    I posted the above in a note on Facebook yesterday because I felt like ranting, and everyone kept commenting with the same tone.
    "That's just the way it is, kid. That's life. You gotta play the game." etc.
    My question, does it really have to be? Why do we need to feed this broken system just because it's 'safe' and 'practical'?
    I've spent the past 6 months extensively mapping freight rails, food sources, communes, hostels, and friends houses I could stop at all across the country. I've been saving up my money to bring along some emergency money, just in case, and I've also contemplated bringing my guitar to make some money as I go along.
    Basically, I have a plan to disappear. Hop on a freight train and ride out somewhere else. Explore the world. I don't want to be pinholed as just another one on the hamster wheel. I'm terrified of that.
    Have any of you seriously thought/contemplated something similar?
    With the exception of the (mental/spiritual) depression you're experiencing now... I do feel this is a fairly accurate...uhm...reality. Yes, that does seem to be the way it is etc. I don't believe this is the way it 'has' to be though...at least not on the individual level. There appears to be much momentum, power/money, and cultural construct...so much so, that I can't see a way to change that en masse...however, I'm thinking that one...we can only live our own life, and by doing so we really do have more choice than it may first seem...especially when thinking outside the precedent constructs. This probably won't work out well if you goal is to be popular, or if it's a matter of superiority...the stupid 'sheeple' assessment...while superficially accurate perhaps...is not helpful, compassionate, or particularly constructive. I'd say...take your journey, mind the safety concerns with whatever transportation you choose...and live in accordinance with what you believe now. Know that many accustomed 'creature-comforts' may be difficult for you to forgo at least at first, as we are quite 'swaddled' with prescribed comforts.

FYI: Circumstances that I believed were outside of my immediate control, is what brought me to similar rationale...irrespective of how or why I got 'here'...I don't regret being here. Consider, if you will...that this depressive mood you feel, is probably quite rightly a 'mourning' period...and rather than seeing it as a betrayal (of life, society, etc)...see it instead as a 'death' of a friend of sorts, from whom you grew up with, and who helped you to get to this experiential 'awakening'. My experience also sees the geographical roaming, as not particularly necessary...'the journey' is where you are, and when you are, and why you are...and, well probably how you are.

Stay, or go...use care! It is your life...and it seems irrevocably a part of all life.
    Best wishes, and kindest regards!
    -Marka

There's nothing wrong with going on walkabout for a while. I did for almost a year when I was 22. Saw and did lot of neat stuff (backpacking through national forests, pedaled around Lake Michigan, etc). Came back and went to work again. Properly framed, it can even look good on a resume. Shows that you can think out of the box. Maybe a little difference from your situation, I had been out of college for a couple years, saved a decent amount of money, paid cash for a new car, etc., so it wasn't like I was travelling around with nothing in my pocket wondering where my next meal was coming from.