Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this legal?

Default Is this legal?

So i had a really bad idea and i cant find any info about whether or not it would be legal. Me and my friend are gonna get my 1941 ford pick-up wired up and running in a couple weeks but the body work isn't gonna be done for a while so it's basically a rolling frame with an engine, my idea is to secure a couch to the frame (and of course make a mount for the steering wheel and such) and drive it around for a couple of days . Now my question is would this be legal in the state of MN (also i realize this is probably dangerous but o well). Also I do plan on having all my lights mounted up (in some way or another) and working.

StefanHasDiapees

Legal or not, the thing to remember is you probably WILL get pulled over.

Driving around like that is odd enough that any half-bored cop will pull you over just to check for violations.

However, you will get a ticket if you have no bumpers. Those MUST be attached to any rolling 4-wheeled motorized vehicle.

Another problem is the doors; generally speaking, if a care comes with doors, they must be present; also, if it came with seatbelts, they must be used. Your truck almost certainly did not come with seatbelts, so you're okay there.

So to sum up, you would only be quasi-legal, and you will almost certainly have to talk to a police officer on the side of the road if you go on actual roads. So for heavens freakin' sake, do NOT be drinking or smokin' dope !!

when in doubt: DON'T DO IT

even if it is technically legal somewhere, you might still get pulled over regardless.

I think is it safe is a more important question but you have decided the risk is worth it (It would be for me too). The main problem is that you will attract a lot of attention.

If you have to ask that question, you probably shouldn't do it. Considering anything that strange is going to draw the ire of the police, and legal or not they're going to harass you.

Legal or not, you'll get pulled over every time a cop sees you, and he'll check for equipment violations. I'm making the assumption that the vehicle has current title and registration from before disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHasDiapees View Post
    Legal or not, the thing to remember is you probably WILL get pulled over.

Driving around like that is odd enough that any half-bored cop will pull you over just to check for violations.

However, you will get a ticket if you have no bumpers. Those MUST be attached to any rolling 4-wheeled motorized vehicle.

Another problem is the doors; generally speaking, if a care comes with doors, they must be present; also, if it came with seatbelts, they must be used. Your truck almost certainly did not come with seatbelts, so you're okay there.

So to sum up, you would only be quasi-legal, and you will almost certainly have to talk to a police officer on the side of the road if you go on actual roads. So for heavens freakin' sake, do NOT be drinking or smokin' dope !!
    doors are not required in America even if the came came with them, my dad jeep had removable doors and we just take em off from time to time
    seat belts are required period, does not matter if it came with it or not, exception to the rule is public transports

Wudang

If you can't pass inspection it isn't legal to drive peroid. no seat belts, no dice. That's just the first of your problems. A mechanic would have to have a tumor to pass a car like that on a safety inspection.

well i have the bumpers (they bolt on with two bolts each sooo that will be easy), thats good i dont need seat belts because my truck didnt come with them. lol also i know i will get pulled over just because but thats part of the fun. Also i did more checkiing and with what you guys said i think this is technically legal and because of where i live technically is good enough. Also i do have all the paper work and tittle for the vehicle.

Just because you can does not mean you should. There are a lot of idiots out there talking and texting and eating food and putting on makeup and just not paying attention. A simple rear-ended could be fatal with nothing to stop you from being ejected. Coming from a hotrodder who has done some stupid stuff, it's just not safe. Get a body on it, some proper seats and belts and then take her out. The anticipation is half the fun!