Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Parties and advice

Default Political Parties and advice

Being a republican sucks. I would love to go out and tell the world that they are special and deserve everything because of who they are. I would love to forgive the debts of all the college kids. I would love to go to the ghetto and spread around government cheese. But I cant, because I refuse to play on peoples greed, and verify, justify, and substantiate my own.

Republicans- Find someone who is not old and smells like money to do your talking. you look like a bunch of old farts. The only republican youth are the ones that are waiting to cash in on trust funds. The "elephant in the room" is that everyone is interested in the college age group. They make the political decisions these days, and its usually going to be in their best interest. The jack asses below are getting to the hearts of the kids in ways that the first female president cant.

Democrats- this whole "empower the youth" thing has never worked. how about "employ the youth"? Ofcourse they are going to vote for the person who promises them the most money! But giving it to them is only getting you an army of hired followers. Without a strong reason to be democratic, they will jump ship for the next big dollar. Teach these kids to make their own money, not to sit in NYC begging for change and beating on drums in a tent in the middle of a public park trying to get it handed to you.

TeaParty- The real reason its called the tea party is because it was thought up over coffee at a suburban caribou by mid-40s upper class housewives empowered by CNN and The View. If you want to help us do better for ourselves, start paying kids to mow your 20 acre lawn instead of the el-cutto expresso van that drives around. You may be able to brag at bridge night about supporting the poor in your own little way, but just like the democrats, your feeding a man, not teaching them to fish.

Independent- find a new way to get into the fight, the only thing America sees you as is a monkey wrench in the main 2's numbers. Perhaps a very specific, solid, public platform is what you need! I have always liked the independent party, They are not set to an age old set of beliefs (for the most part). The problem is no one takes you seriously.

all the other parties not mentioned- yea, your screwed. I would take that money spent on those fart in the wind campaigns every year, and pool the money into lobbying for the change your after. I know that everyone wants to have "ran for president" on their resume, but the "joe the plumber" or "Legalize it" party isn't doing much for the good of the USA. you hear me Whigs? your time came and went several hundred years ago. I couldn't imagine one of your delegates getting into office, it would be like putting the janitor in charge of the company. You just have no idea what is going on up in that office. neither do I, but the difference is that I know I don't know.

What do you all think? give me something inspirational!

Are students/ young people REALLY the voting bloc that swings US elections? I'd like to see the polling numbers on that one...

Babyemo:

Your take on Republican's: Come to Alabama, tell me no one wants to be a Republican...

There are those of us who believe that people should work for what they get. I am not a rich kid by any means. I live below at/below the poverty line in my area. My mom owns her own business and makes less than $20,000 a year. I work two jobs (by choice), am a straight A soon to be Sophomore in College, make my car payments, and do not have any trust fund coming my way. The only thing I have to look for money wise is when my Granny gives me her stocks of Verizon, AT&T, and other tech companies.

Your take on Democrats: THANK YOU!!! We are headed the way of Greece and Spain. YOU CAN NOT SPEND YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT!

On the Tea Party: While I agree with their ideas, there are some complete loons in the group. I'm just happy someone (Fox) gave them good coverage.

Independents: I'd be very interested to see a true Independent in Office. While I don't see it happening in the next 20 years, who knows... Anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    Are students/ young people REALLY the voting bloc that swings US elections? I'd like to see the polling numbers on that one...
    If you can get us(them) out to vote, they play a major part in it. If i'm correct, I believe it's the 40-up's that make up the main bloc.

wasn't Clinton Independent?

I was playing off the stereotypes, but yes, a lot of the self employed are republicans because they know how to work.

well played sir, well played. also, you are a machine! 2 jobs and A's

I got a laugh out of this as there is some truth in all of it. The thing that bothers me about politicians who are running for office is that they promise everything, but never divulge how they would solve the problems their opponent is accused of either not solving, or creating. It's all fluff and no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post

I was playing off the stereotypes, but yes, a lot of the self employed are republicans because they know how to work.

On Clinton: I'm really not sure with him... I would define him more as somewhere in the middle depending on his mood/trend of the American people.

Stereotypes: I understood what you were going for but still figured I'd say it. My mom moved out at 17, went straight to work. She worked as an Exterminator, Foreman on multiple job cites, is/was a certified welder, ran a construction company with my father(if you could call him that), divorced him and started a window cleaning/cleaner of houses business. I learned my work ethic from her.

Your comment to me: Why thank ya'! I bust my ass for what I've got and will protect it with every gun in my gun cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post

He was a democrat. Worked quite a bit with the GOP, though, since he had to deal with a Republican congress for much of his presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerDude View Post
    Babyemo:

Your take on Republican's: Come to Alabama, tell me no one wants to be a Republican...

There are those of us who believe that people should work for what they get. I am not a rich kid by any means. I live below at/below the poverty line in my area. My mom owns her own business and makes less than $20,000 a year. I work two jobs (by choice), am a straight A soon to be Sophomore in College, make my car payments, and do not have any trust fund coming my way. The only thing I have to look for money wise is when my Granny gives me her stocks of Verizon, AT&T, and other tech companies.

Your take on Democrats: THANK YOU!!! We are headed the way of Greece and Spain. YOU CAN NOT SPEND YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT!

On the Tea Party: While I agree with their ideas, there are some complete loons in the group. I'm just happy someone (Fox) gave them good coverage.

Independents: I'd be very interested to see a true Independent in Office. While I don't see it happening in the next 20 years, who knows... Anything can happen.

If you can get us(them) out to vote, they play a major part in it. If i'm correct, I believe it's the 40-up's that make up the main bloc.
    Last I checked Greece and Spain where cutting their way out of their debt, not spending their way out of their debt. As in massive government and pension cuts, raising retirement age, lowering minimum wage, et cetera. And, well, its indeed not working. Both countries have laughable (20+%) unemployment rates right now - Spain even has over 40% of young unemployment. Arguably the way out of the recession for Spain and Greece is more government spending but that won't fly past the Germans right now. But as long as those countries have unemployment in the 20s there is no way they can bring their debt down, no matter how far they shrink government.

I'm also pretty sure that liberals in general don't believe that people shouldn't work for what they get. I consider myself pretty centrist when it comes to (Canadian) politics, which in American terms apparently means I'm a far left fanatic (I'm probably to the left of a Pelosi, for example). I believe in capitalism, but I also believe that complete laissez-faire is an enemy of capitalism in the same way as mono and oligopolies along with competitive behaviour are. Laissez-faire allows corporations to externalize costs in such a way that society must pay for their own actions (an example is pollution - if a company doesn't pay directly for the pollution they create then society as a whole will pay for that pollution. How is that fair?) It also allows monopolies and oligopolies to form, squeezing out up and coming companies out of the market and lowering productivity and driving down innovation. Laissez-faire allows for a small number of people to control the government, as a small group of powerful individual will always be much more motivated to influence politics than a large group of less powerful individual - the less powerful individuals are also far less likely to be informed about issues affecting them due to the free rider problem. Laissez-faire allows for wages to be brought down bellow living standards, as they where during the industrial revolution, effectively enslaving a large portion of the working population. Laissez-faire also encourages companies to compete directly (i.e., hire corporate spies, sabotage each other, et cetera) or engage in what economists call competitive behaviour (such as doing firesales to try and drive a competitor out of business) which drive down the economy as a whole.

I'm not to the left of you politically because I need a welfare check. Listen, I'm 20, I don't yet have a degree and as an intern I make more than the average American (my current salary puts me in the 60th percentile of earners). I will also graduate with no student loans. Point is, I got a good draw in life and I worked hard enough to not fuck it up, so I'm headed pretty comfortably towards upper middle class right now. I can assure you that I'm not a centrist (again, by Canadian standards) because I want hand outs. I'm a centrist because I honestly believe that strong social policies benefit the economy. Desperately poor people are bad for the economy. They are likelier to commit crimes (huge amount of negative externalizes, plus needs increased costs in police and prisons), in the US they are likelier to use the ER without having insurance (meaning that the cost gets passed back to everyone that does have insurance - awesome how that works, isn't it?), they don't have as much money to bring back into the economy and worse of all their kids tend to grow up poor too, for the same reason than the kids of rich people tend to stay rich: its way easier to maintain your social status than it is to change it, especially in places where education is expensive (*cough* the US *cough*). Point is, having a strong social safety net is good for the economy because it reduces crimes and increases upward social mobility. It also encourage risk taking as it dulls the effects of a bankruptcy.

Don't think that Liberals are Liberals because they want hand outs. Many of us (not sure if I really qualify as a Liberal by American standards, though) hold these positions because we believe they are economically sound, on top of helping protect both freedoms and human rights.

Near, thank you for giving an honest reply. I understand what you are getting at. My point on spending to be out of debt was aimed at the Obama administration.

What you said about being to the left of Pelosi: It seems (at least in my opinion) that America in general is a more Conservative country than most.

Also: WOOOOOW, you write detailed posts! I would respond to all of it, but frankly, I'm a little too tired and headed to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerDude View Post
    Near, thank you for giving an honest reply. I understand what you are getting at. My point on spending to be out of debt was aimed at the Obama administration.

What you said about being to the left of Pelosi: It seems (at least in my opinion) that America in general is a more Conservative country than most.

Also: WOOOOOW, you write detailed posts! I would respond to all of it, but frankly, I'm a little too tired and headed to bed.
    Obama would probably be a member of the Conservative party in Canada (there are two mainstream national parties to the left of the conservatives, namely the centrist Liberal party and the leftist New Democratic party). So the US is definitively significantly to the right of Canada politically. I remember Gingrich once called Stephen Harper (the current Canadian prime minister, arguably the most conservative PM we've had in decades) "a true conservative". That made me giggle quite a bit considering that Harper is pro-gay marriage (as long as churches aren't forced to perform them), neutral on abortion (meaning in favour of the status quo of abortions being allowed), neutral on the death penalty (meaning in favour of the satus quo of the death penalty staying abolished), lukewarm on privatizing health insurance (he certainly isn't clamouring for an end of Canada's single payer system)... at best he has similar positions to Obama's and at worst he's to the left of Obama. So hearing Gingrich on one hand call Harper a conservative while on the other hand demonizing Obama as a far left politician was rather cringe worthy.

At this point I'd say that the only first world country that I'd think is to the right of the US is Singapore, mostly because of their absolutely insane death penalty regiment. Beyond that the US is most likely the most right leaning first world country in the world by some margin.

/off-topic

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I got a laugh out of this as there is some truth in all of it. The thing that bothers me about politicians who are running for office is that they promise everything, but never divulge how they would solve the problems their opponent is accused of either not solving, or creating. It's all fluff and no substance.
    I tend to agree here...and the dissections are impressive...and I feel a bit ignorant in all of this...