Thread: DAW Showcase

Talking DAW Showcase

Use a digital audio workstation (FL Studio, Cubase, Ableton, GarageBand, etc.)? Show it off!

I use FL Studio 10.
    Custom background and I'm working on a skin.

Synths:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAW_A.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	13009
    Effects:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAW_B.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	13008

I still have a bunch of synths, effects, and some samples on other computers I need to re-install.

What do you guys use? What synths/effects do you have?
    Any techniques you'd like to share?

I used to use Live. I loved it, but the version I had was sorely outdated and I couldn't live with not saving my work (which the trial disables)

I love to make my own drum beats, I think that's fun. I also took digital music in school. We got like thoooousssannndddss of loops from the loop library there. I can share them with you if you'd liKE!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysToxxicBabyGirl View Post
    I used to use Live. I loved it, but the version I had was sorely outdated and I couldn't live with not saving my work (which the trial disables)

I love to make my own drum beats, I think that's fun. I also took digital music in school. We got like thoooousssannndddss of loops from the loop library there. I can share them with you if you'd liKE!
    I never got into live. It was strange to me. I mean, I know my way around it well enough, but I prefer FL.
    And that'd be pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Siytron View Post
    I never got into live. It was strange to me. I mean, I know my way around it well enough, but I prefer FL.
    And that'd be pretty awesome
    I've been told that same thing many many many times. When I got my interface it came with a Lite version of Live and ProTools. So ya know, Best of the best (if you're willing to pay gillions of dollars). When I took my digital music class, we learned in Live (because protools would be completely unreasonable to purchase for high school students) Point beingggg, I'm the most comfortable with Live.

I have used garageband. Most of the techniques I learned were learned on a Mac in GB. I've tried FL but never really got into as much as I did with with Live. However, if i was gunna pick a free one. It'd be FL =]

I have REAPER and a bunch of Native Instruments plugs that came in one of the Komplete sets. Well, and a slew of freeware junk. I need to get out of the habit of using a million different VSTis, because then I'll delete them later and theyll be missing if I ever go back and reload the session. >:/ The main free ones I use are Synth1, Oatmeal, Crystal, Makjen's Chimera, and TranceDrive.

Techniques to share? Ummmmm, that seems too broad a topic to just spit something out off the top of my head, I'd need some kinda more specific prompting ;P

Actually, here's one that everyone should know, parallel compression: basically you run a compressor with really extreme settings on a "Send" bus so that you can mix it back in with the original, uncompressed signal. Allows you to get some of the phatness from heavily compressing something without ruining its transient punch. Uh, or vice versa, I guess? Probably most effective (and most often used) on drums. The "dry" signal should probably be louder than the super-compressed one, but experiment as y'like.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyCreature View Post
    Actually, here's one that everyone should know, parallel compression: basically you run a compressor with really extreme settings on a "Send" bus so that you can mix it back in with the original, uncompressed signal. Allows you to get some of the phatness from heavily compressing something without ruining its transient punch. Uh, or vice versa, I guess? Probably most effective (and most often used) on drums. The "dry" signal should probably be louder than the super-compressed one, but experiment as y'like.
    That sounds like it'd be cool. I'll certainly try this in the future! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlycreature View Post
    i have reaper
    that is the one i could not for the life of me remember. Thank you!!!!!!!!