Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This really irritates me...

Default This really irritates me...

Really, this really aggravates every little inch of the fuck out of me. And just seeing the fact that this is what our nation has become of:

Respect for the president is just so eighties: Gay activists flip off White House Reagan portrait | Twitchy

Or if you're not Fox News-phobic:

REAGAN GIVEN MIDDLE FINGER IN OBAMA WHITE HOUSE - Gay Activists - Fox Nation

I mean really, INVITED, by OUR PRESIDENT, to come and flip off every past republican president. Is this really what our country has become to?

I thought LGBT people wanted "acceptance" in society and to not be hated. How is this acceptable behavior? How is this a step closer to being "accepted" in society and treated as normal? All I see this doing is pissing more people off.

And before you have at it towards me: I have tolerance for LGBT in general. Hell, I'm Bisexual myself! But I have not tolerance for anyone who is an asshole. Period. These people are plain out assholes. If these people were smart and really do want acceptance, then they wouldn't be pulling this kinda stuff. This is absurd.

*Sigh*

The actions of a few tend to affect many. I hate how only bad examples get attention in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by IantheFox View Post
    Really, this really aggravates every little inch of the fuck out of me. And just seeing the fact that this is what our nation has become of:

Respect for the president is just so eighties: Gay activists flip off White House Reagan portrait | Twitchy.

I mean really, INVITED, by OUR PRESIDENT, to come and flip off every past republican president. Is this really what our country has become to?

I thought LGBT people wanted "acceptance" in society and to not be hated. How is this acceptable behavior? How is this a step closer to being "accepted" in society and treated as normal? All I see this doing is pissing more people off.

And before you have at it towards me: I have tolerance for LGBT in general. Hell, I'm Bisexual myself! But I have not tolerance for anyone who is an asshole. Period. These people are plain out assholes. If these people were smart and really do want acceptance, then they wouldn't be pulling this kinda stuff. This is absurd.
    So I presume you're much more outraged at the dude that heckled President Obama during his address the other day, too? I mean, he actually heckled a live and current president during a live address. That's way more disrespectful than flipping off a portrait of a dead guy

You will always find some people behaving badly. It seems to be endemic in this country. Apparently it starts at an early age if one considers the junior high students behaving badly toward the 67 year old bus monitor. I might add that wouldn't have happened for very long if it had been directed towards me, which brings about a good point. People need to stand up for that which is right, and at the same time, set good examples. There will always be people who aren't worth the powder to blow them up. What's important is that we aren't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by IantheFox View Post

Respect for the president is just so eighties: Gay activists flip off White House Reagan portrait | Twitchy

IanTheFox,

I understand how this can upset you, how an invited guest representing our LGBT community to the Whitehouse committed such a bold and questionable act. However, while it can be classified as not one of the classiest ways to voice her opinion on Reagan, it can be justified:

I didn't know this either, but one of the things Reagan while he was alive, as a governor of California during his presidential campaign was opposing Proposition 6, banning gays, lesbians, and supporters of LGBT rights from working in public schools in California (I rippped this sentence from the Wiki page, so I'm kinda citing it). While he may have created more acts against the growth of the North American LGBT community, I can still see how that act alone warranted that.

It's a shame that one of the more notable members of the LGBT community would stoop that low, but I can't really hate her for it. It is through anti-gay acts created by influential people like that that encourage anti-gay groups to exist, such as the Westboro Baptist Church.

It happens, some people are nuts, and gay activists will have to deal with the result of one's actions. Ignoring them might help (i.e. let them face any consequences they receive but not scream into the heavens about how horrible they are), they may seek other ways to get attention, but we need to accept that things like this will happen. The best we can do is remember that the minority is not the majority (that is an obvious statement but it must be said).

Quote Originally Posted by MilesPrower View Post
    IanTheFox,

I understand how this can upset you, how an invited guest representing our LGBT community to the Whitehouse committed such a bold and questionable act. However, while it can be classified as not one of the classiest ways to voice her opinion on Reagan, it can be justified:

I didn't know this either, but one of the things Reagan while he was alive, as a governor of California during his presidential campaign was opposing Proposition 6, banning gays, lesbians, and supporters of LGBT rights from working in public schools in California (I rippped this sentence from the Wiki page, so I'm kinda citing it). While he may have created more acts against the growth of the North American LGBT community, I can still see how that act alone warranted that.

It's a shame that one of the more notable members of the LGBT community would stoop that low, but I can't really hate her for it. It is through anti-gay acts created by influential people like that that encourage anti-gay groups to exist, such as the Westboro Baptist Church.
    Opposing a ban on the LGBT community being allowed to work in public schools was a bad thing? Interesting, I didn't realize the LGBT community despised politicians who backed favorable positions to them. Just goes to show you partisanship always comes first. Immature antics, not to mention incredibly ignorant, like this don't really help matters for public image. Reagan did more for the LGBT community than any other president, far more than Obama currently has and he gets lavished with praise. I bet I can take a stab at why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingon View Post
    Opposing a ban on the LGBT community being allowed to work in public schools was a bad thing? Interesting, I didn't realize the LGBT community despised politicians who backed favorable positions to them. Just goes to show you partisanship always comes first. Immature antics, not to mention incredibly ignorant, like this don't really help matters for public image. Reagan did more for the LGBT community than any other president, far more than Obama currently has and he gets lavished with praise. I bet I can take a stab at why.
    I'm genuinely interested in your argument that Reagan was a friend to the LGBT community and did more for us than any other president. As president, Reagan refused to even acknowledge the AIDS crisis until the end of his presidency, and it's easily argued that his lack of interest or leadership on a health crisis that was known to be disproportionately affecting the gay community condemned many to death.

So please, tell us what great things Reagan did for the LGBT community as president. Obama has stated publicly that he supports equal rights for the LGBT community, recently expanding that to include marriage.

I'll also again ask a question I asked previously, this time directed at you. Are you also incredibly outraged about the person from The Daily Caller that heckled the current live sitting president during a formal announcement? The guy acted like he was at a comedy club or something and was incredibly disrespectful of the current live sitting president that was actually speaking and leading a formal event. You want to talk about rude, let's talk about rude, not something of relatively little import or consequence like flipping off a portrait of the worst president of the 20th century (and yes, I'm fully aware of Warren G. Harding, Herbert Hoover, and Richard M. Nixon).

Or, am I being immature and ignorant by speaking badly of Reagan?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MilesPrower View Post
    IanTheFox,

Wait, are you saying that was a good thing that Reagan did or a bad thing that Reagan did? That was possibly the one good thing he did for the LGBT community during his time in public power.

I have a feeling Obama didn't invite them in so they could flip off the portraits. It seems like they did it just to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post

So please, tell us what great things Reagan did for the LGBT community as president. Obama has stated publicly that he supports equal rights for the LGBT community, recently expanding that to include marriage.
    Yeah, he did it because elections are coming up. Not saying any other politician would not do the same. But let's not try and act like Obama is amazing for doing it.