Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ISP copyright crackdown

Default ISP copyright crackdown

So. I don't know if everyone already knows about this, but please read it and discuss.

American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 | The Raw Story

I don't know what you guys think about this but I am downright pissed. I can see myself even terminating my comcast service and going with something else. I wonder if there's going to be a mass uprising against this or not. Really the "war" on piracy has gone too far, corporate greed is driving me nuts, and I wish they would just let it go. :/

I remember back in the day when everything was done through the mail. They will never stop piracy, only alter how it is being done. I bet it costs them more money to fight it than they loose from it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    I remember back in the day when everything was done through the mail. They will never stop piracy, only alter how it is being done. I bet it costs them more money to fight it than they loose from it.
    Definitely. And only the big name competitors are really in on this right now. I don't know that that's going to be any good for them in the long run. They're probably going to end up screwing themselves I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by dIstraCtedOctoPus View Post
    Definitely. And only the big name competitors are really in on this right now. I don't know that that's going to be any good for them in the long run. They're probably going to end up screwing themselves I hope.
    That is one of the biggest reasons I no longer buy anything from Sony. My TV was the last ever Sony product that will ever enter my home. I remember when DVD-R was first released; Sony intentionally lowered the power level on the laser pickup in their DVD players to keep people from using recorded media. Now they have incorporated protection in the PS3 that will prevent copied movies from playing if the audio and video signatures don't match. They are also behind almost every method of DRM and copy protection in the industry.

The funny thing is; it's my Sony Blu-Ray player that won't play new original movies that are encrypted with Sony's own protection, even after installing the latest update. I actually laugh at Sony because the hacker community is ten times more intelligent than their smartest engineer. The only way they can survive this war is to stop fighting!

Also, another way to fight back is to look up the new movies that are released by these select companies, and review them negatively on the various sites like Amazon, and any other place you can. I know it sounds dishonest, but come on; you know most new movies suck anyway.

WOW. I did NOT know that thing about keeping people from using recorded media. Well i don't think I have bought anything from sony recently, and I never will, ever again.

It wasn't exactly something they advertised, but it was a bright idea from someone at Sony. What they do is use their hand in the electronics industry to force DRM, and other (usually inconvenient to legitimate customers) anti-piracy trash on us in hopes of protecting their movie and music business.

God I hate humans. This is one of the main themes in The Corra. HUMANS ARE ******* GREEDY. Greed is humanity's defining trait.

It's not just this, either. The stupid laws about not selling anything used that was made overseas, laws like ACTA, every other asinine anti-piracy law. UGH. These make me want to kill...hmm...perhaps the US government? Ah, **** it. The US will be dead within 25 years. Who knows how much damage it inflicts first though?

They said to me, we need you to be
    A contract killer.
    ~EarendurAldarion
    Last edited by Varys; 20-Jun-2012 at 14:39.

Quote Originally Posted by EarendurAldarion View Post
    God I hate humans. This is one of the main themes in The Corra. HUMANS ARE ******* GREEDY. Greed is humanity's defining trait.

It's not just this, either. The stupid laws about not selling anything used that was made overseas, laws like ACTA, every other asinine anti-piracy law. UGH. These make me want to kill...hmm...perhaps the US government? Ah, [email protected]@k it. The US will be dead within 25 years. Who knows how much damage it inflicts first though?

~EarendurAldarion
    Well, I agree with you about the greed of the human race, and the plethora of stupid useless laws. I somewhat agree with you in regards to the US, but the US is only a small part of this worlds problems.

Will the US be dead in 25 years? That is a good possibility... With the wars, and sticking of noses where they don't need to be stuck, the forcing of help on those who don't want help. Borrowing money from China, a country that conspires with our enemies, just to give it as foreign aid to other countries that hate us. The US government doing nothing to protect our economy; allowing greedy corporations to outsource jobs overseas. Making China rich while most Americans can't even find work. They allow the oil companies to export US oil at huge profits, while at the same time tell Americans there is a shortage so they can raise prices to ridiculous numbers.

The US is headed for a seriously rude awakening in the near future if our leaders don't get their heads out of their rear ends.

OK while I don't agree with internet censorship and would like media to be cheaper why do people think they are entitled to illegally download stuff? It's not just about the record label but the people behind the project like the technicians and the album cover designers and many other people that get harmed by piracy, for record label executives it is nothing but for everyone else involved piracy is terrible.

This whole thing has an icky feel to it, but I think the bulk of it is a scare tactic. I can't imagine ISP's giving this much more than lip service when there's nothing in it for them. Why incur cost to hunt down a few inconsequential "pirates" when there is no profit in doing so, and little or no penalty for NOT doing it? They'll write a couple policies, alter terms and conditions, transfer a couple people they were going to lay off into the Anti-Piracy department with titles like Director of Copywright Compliance, and that will be that.

Not that I care. Its more trouble to steal stuff than it is to buy it. You couldn't get me into torrents on a bet. Too much risk of infection. In the case of software, I like my free Open Office just fine.