Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crib Modification (Sorry probably been asked before)

Default Crib Modification (Sorry probably been asked before)

Ummm so I know cribs and playpens only hold so much weight and its not enough for an adult so much like modding baby diapers...is there a cheap/easy way to mod cribs or playpens to take adult weight?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

Yeah ....that would help if you told me what items to buy and how to attach them to the crib....

I'm not exactly handy, but I would guess that you need to add more support to the middle (i.e. a fifth leg) and maybe beef up the other four legs. The thickness of the bottom sheet of wood might also be an issue, so you might need to replace that with thicker plywood.

the main issue with cribs is that A) the mattress support is minimal (usually a piece of thin plywood) and B) the legs are usually not terribly sturdy. So what you could do is replace the crib bottom with thick wood slats (1x4s out of a hardwood is usual for adult beds I think) or you could use a piece of 1" plywood cut to size for proper weight support. You would also need to beef up the legs by either adding more legs and/or supporting them by using a sturdy L bracket or a triangle bracket

word to the wise: cribs are pretty small being 28x52 inches (which is just over 2x4 feet) so unless you are very small and don't mind having your knees up I wouldn't recommend spending money on a crib you can't use better to put bed rails on a twin bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodnites11 View Post
    I'm not exactly handy, but I would guess that you need to add more support to the middle (i.e. a fifth leg) and maybe beef up the other four legs. The thickness of the bottom sheet of wood might also be an issue, so you might need to replace that with thicker plywood.
    You'd need more than thicker ply I think - slats would be more appropriate.

Having seen this sort of thread a few times on here the general consensus seems to be to add sides to a simple wooden framed bed (rather than try to adapt something which is specifically not designed to take large loads). Plus then you can use standard size sheets and mattress.

word to the wise: cribs are pretty small being 28x52 inches (which is just over 2x4 feet) so unless you are very small and don't mind having your knees up I wouldn't recommend spending money on a crib you can't use better to put bed rails on a twin bed.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm..52 inches long? That's longer than I expected. I'm only lacking 12 inches to fit without scrunching up. I wonder how much a foot matters.... Modding just seems like the cheaper option as I don't really want to sleep in it all night...just use for play/naps.

Quote Originally Posted by icyfire View Post
    Plus then you can use standard size sheets and mattress.
    No fun lol I would want to buy authentic crib sheets etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...as I told another poster I just want it for play and naps. So buying a $500-$1000 dollar adult baby crib is nuts and I have a metal framed queen so I don't want to mod that with sides. If I had a twin then maybe... The cheapest (most authenic option) seems getting a $200 dollar real baby crib and modding it (maybe $100 more)

Last edited by Trevor; 23-Jun-2012 at 00:32. Reason: merging posts.

Although I've never made a crib (though I am thinking about it) I have made the bed frame for my normal bed I used 1" thick slats, they strong but over time they will start to creek when you move if I did it again I'd use a sheet of mdf cut to size you can get it in one inch thick a local store by me (B&Q) sells and cuts it for about 25 add two lengths of 2x2 along the sides underneath and all you really need are legs!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartpacifiers View Post
    word to the wise: cribs are pretty small being 28x52 inches (which is just over 2x4 feet) so unless you are very small and don't mind having your knees up I wouldn't recommend spending money on a crib you can't use better to put bed rails on a twin bed.
    Hmmm..52 inches long? That's longer than I expected. I'm only lacking 12 inches to fit without scrunching up. I wonder how much a foot matters.... Modding just seems like the cheaper option as I don't really want to sleep in it all night...just use for play/naps.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Believe me it makes a great deal of difference, you're my height and I've been around cribs a lot and they look big but in reality are quite cramped. Plus the real kicker isn't the length it's the width, 28in is really freaking narrow, like there's practically no movement space at all. Getting a twin and putting on rails is definitely better. Or even a toddler bed (they're in-between size for cribs and twins and they're on the small side of comfortable for me). You can find very very childish bedding for twin sized beds, there's nothing inherently special about crib bedding. So the he's bet would be twin + rails or a toddler bed

Here is a site I found that has some instructions on how to modify a baby crib to get ideas.

Modified Crib for Parent with Disability

You can also take two cribs and add them together. You would also have to add some weight support too.
    Last edited by AnnBabygurl; 15-Jun-2012 at 20:35. Reason: Added more information