Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: UK new surviellance laws could see us all under the microscope

  1. #1

    Default UK new surviellance laws could see us all under the microscope

    the home secretary today announced plans for the police to be able to store the email communication, social network usage, and all data pertaining to internet use and telephone calls for everyone in the UK.

    essentially could make using this site problematic for UK residents as responding to under 18's could potentially be viewed as grooming. the reason for this is that they will only collect usage data not content so they will not need to prove context only act on suspicion

  2. #2
    jj2jjj

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    the home secretary today announced plans for the police to be able to store the email communication, social network usage, and all data pertaining to internet use and telephone calls for everyone in the UK.

    essentially could make using this site problematic for UK residents as responding to under 18's could potentially be viewed as grooming. the reason for this is that they will only collect usage data not content so they will not need to prove context only act on suspicion
    I highly doubt that. There are loads of forums. Some for games, some for running and loads more for each type of hobby or interest out there xD Now loads of those forums have adult users, teen users and kid users. They'd basically be arresting the entire internet for grooming xD

  3. #3

    Default

    as i said it changes the law from 'you did wrong' to 'you could have been doing wrong' thats where it becomes dangerous to the innocent. In the UK you are normally arrested on suspicion of an offence and then later on charged for that offence once there is sufficient evidence to do so, in order to be arrested on suspicion that all thats need suspicion in alot of peoples minds theres no smoke without fire, this type of law normally pickups up more innocents then guilty mostly the inocents dont end up in prison but an unfounded allegation can be just as damaging

  4. #4

    Default

    It doesn't change the law in any way shape or form.

    The laws regarding grooming are still the same as they always have been. All it means that if you're under suspicion for something the police can monitor your internet usage over a period of months or years. They cannot charge you for grooming (and you will still need to be charged and trialled) without evidence, and of course the evidence would be taken from what they have posted on this site. Not that fact that they're on it.

    There's no need to get upset about this, although of course if you are worried for yourself in a legal sense then you shouldn't come back to this site. I for one, will continue to use the site.

    Don't be led on by the scaremongering!

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by jj2jjj View Post
    I highly doubt that. There are loads of forums. Some for games, some for running and loads more for each type of hobby or interest out there xD Now loads of those forums have adult users, teen users and kid users. They'd basically be arresting the entire internet for grooming xD
    This is a somewhat more unusual topic of interest though, and one that is easily misunderstood. So more chance of activity on it coming under suspicion.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    It doesn't change the law in any way shape or form.

    The laws regarding grooming are still the same as they always have been. All it means that if you're under suspicion for something the police can monitor your internet usage over a period of months or years. They cannot charge you for grooming (and you will still need to be charged and trialled) without evidence, and of course the evidence would be taken from what they have posted on this site. Not that fact that they're on it.

    There's no need to get upset about this, although of course if you are worried for yourself in a legal sense then you shouldn't come back to this site. I for one, will continue to use the site.

    Don't be led on by the scaremongering!
    its not scaremongering you obviously dont know the law, at the moment the evidencary element is based on content and context this new law take that burden of proof out of the investigation stage, meaning the police can investigate some one on the basis of contact regardless of however innocent that contact might be, and no im not worried about myself in a legal context so stop trying to make this personal, I applaud any measures that tackle terrorism or peadophillia as well as any other criminal activity I dont however believe that guilt by association should ever play a part in a police investigation which is essential what this law is putting in place

  7. #7

    Default

    Kinda sucky to have a queen now rather then a constitution, eh chaps?

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Kinda sucky to have a queen now rather then a constitution, eh chaps?
    at least you have habeus corpus enshrined in your constitution this is our governments way of disabling it completely

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    at least you have habeus corpus enshrined in your constitution this is our governments way of disabling it completely
    Last I checked the NAS or CIA still hasn't set up a server farm to record every bit of data that travels across American wires. which to me seems like this law is suggesting it will do with the UK.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    its not scaremongering you obviously dont know the law, at the moment the evidencary element is based on content and context this new law take that burden of proof out of the investigation stage, meaning the police can investigate some one on the basis of contact regardless of however innocent that contact might be, and no im not worried about myself in a legal context so stop trying to make this personal, I applaud any measures that tackle terrorism or peadophillia as well as any other criminal activity I dont however believe that guilt by association should ever play a part in a police investigation which is essential what this law is putting in place
    I just don't see what the problem is? If someone was on a site that known peadophiles work from would you not want people who visit the site regularly investigated?

    The chances of the police giving two hoots about someone visiting this website is laughable!

    And the law still hasn't changed. You still need to be charged for a crime. They'll do their investigating, realise you're innocent, and nothing more will come of it. If it comes down to it, they will still need to prove that the content you're posting is questionable. So yes, they'll be acting on suspicion. Just like when they see a car swerving they pull them over and act on the suspicion that someone is drink driving, even if they aren't. They give them a breath-test, realise they're not drunk and everyone goes on their way with little hassle.

    EDIT: Also, I wasn't making it personal, it was a general statement to people who might be worried, you included, since that was the vibe I got from your OP.

Similar Threads

  1. Varying Gun Laws
    By nappieddude1589 in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2011, 15:46
  2. Gun Laws
    By TheFoxxehAssassin in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2010, 15:05
  3. Homosexuality Laws
    By TheFoxxehAssassin in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 04:58
  4. Internet Laws
    By kite in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2010, 03:14
  5. Smoking Ban Laws.
    By Roland in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2008, 10:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.