Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Jeep enthusiasts here??

Default any Jeep enthusiasts here??

grantedI mean to speak more of the CJ lines.. (real Jeeps.. pre-Chrysler anyway... ) Really more of a tinkerer on mine.. My dad and I are working of restoring an 83 CJ-7 and was just wondering if anyone else has played with one before.. We will probably be looking at replacing the tub due to slight damage.. (ok, yes.. I was the one that did most of the damage.. the funny thing is I did most of the damage with other parts of the jeep through operation... )

Anyway, throw a shout of advice if you care to..

Moosie...

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie82 View Post
    grantedI mean to speak more of the CJ lines.. (real Jeeps.. pre-Chrysler anyway... ) Really more of a tinkerer on mine.. My dad and I are working of restoring an 83 CJ-7 and was just wondering if anyone else has played with one before.. We will probably be looking at replacing the tub due to slight damage.. (ok, yes.. I was the one that did most of the damage.. the funny thing is I did most of the damage with other parts of the jeep through operation... )

Anyway, throw a shout of advice if you care to..

Moosie...
    If your replacing the tub go for an aftermarket aluminum one they last longer lighter weight and don't rust easily. As for the rest what do you plan todo with it? Rocks? Mud? Or a little of both? To be honest the first thing you need to do is do a coil suspension conversion that will give you more flex in the suspension. Next would be ditching factory jeep axles they suck and will break easily if you put power to them I'd go with a good Dana 44 or if you plan on doing a lot of performance work to the engine I'd go with a custom fit ford 9 in rear end with a dana 60 front and get full floating axles for the rear as it will make it a hell of a lot easier to change an axle on the trail should you need to also invest in a good pair of air lockers for the axles they will lock the wheels together for better traction every jeep I e built these were the first things I'd do

And word of advice stay away from body lifts they will rip body mounts in half or just break them off compleatly if you lift it do a suspension lift will save you time and money in the end

BLMProductions

I have an '02 lifted wrangler sport but once i get some cash together I'm gonna find a nice old project jeep

I would suggest joining wrangler forums, They have a ton of really good write ups and cover every model of "real" jeeps. Even the soccer mom approved 2wd JK. I do not have a lot of experience with CJ's besides riding in one. I prefer my modified TJ it does what I need it too do. Its nothing real fancy. Good luck with your build. Jeeps are addictive as you are aware by now. I have limited knowledge of HVAC for CJs so if you have any questions about that hit me up.

wow.. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with the responses so far..

My goal.at the moment is to get the beast pretty much back to stock.. I'm not much for.off-roading, but like.the ability to should I choose to.. I agree about the body lift.. That will be removed asap...(well, at least when me and the jeep are in same part of the world... ) All in all I'm pretty happy with stock equipment, minus the stock carb... I have found one that is made specifically for the 258 straight six that I'm running.. (and for the life of me I can't remember who makes it.. )

again, thanks for the advice..

Moosie

Jeep wrote the book on 4 wheel drive, too bad they didn't read it. Sorry Christler era joke, 40s Jeeps are the real thing.

Haven't worked on any Jeeps, but I do love em. I'd love to buy one of the new JK Wranglers, swap in the new 6.4L Hemi from the SRT8 Challenger, toss on a Supercharger and go have some fun in the dirt. A Cummins powered AEV Brute truck conversion Wranglers would be a fun trail rig too.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one of the old jeeps...unfortunately I got a crappy XJ, it's not horrid. But I'd love to have a wrangler...

I have no idea how to fix any car (how womanly of me) however, a Jeep is the only car I've ever wanted. I've never been a car enthusist, so even from my younger years of playing MASH, it's always been a jeep for me =]

I have a '96 Jeep Cherokee, which I realize isn't a Jeep CJ at all. The odd thing is that I can remember researching the CJ's many years ago. Some of the early ones had an American Motor's motor in them, and some had a Buick. Frankly, I like my Cherokee because I can get on that 4.0 HP and it will move. The front leaf springs look bad! I've gone everywhere in that thing, through several feet of mountain snow in Virginia. and I've crossed a creek with slippery stones on both side of the creek. Lots of fun.

one of the greatest things I like about my/our CJ is that a bigger guy like me can fit under it comforably to work on it.. unlike my pickup that I now have (95 nissan king cab se pickup, 4x4 v6... ) I do like it but working on it is a bi*#% at times.. mainly due to cramped space and larger body parts.. (on me that is...)