Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halo. (And why it shouldn't have been a video game)

Default Halo. (And why it shouldn't have been a video game)

Sure, it made millions. Sure, it threw Microsoft into the world of gaming (yeah, debate away). Lets begin.

I'll start off with getting it out of the way that I'm not a fan of Halo (1, 2, or 3). I own Halo 3, I've had it since it came out. But, I just beat the game on Heroic yesterday. I know most of you are going LULWTFZ?!, but yeah. I beat it yesterday. Well, why, you ask? Because, it's simple, I don't play it.

Why don't I play Halo 3? Well, I got it, and had it for a while. And, yeah, I'm gonna use the same excuse that a lot of others use -- because it's valid... Come Christmas time, EVERY KID ON EARTH got a copy of Halo 3. And, what happened? They went online with it. When you're trying to play a game, the last thing you want/need is a bunch of 10-13 year-olds farting/spitting into the mic, and screaming yo-momma and penis jokes back and forth (oh, and the constant curse-battles....omfg) toward each other, it's sickening and it's annoying beyond belief. Also: whenever I play even local multiplayer, it's ALWAYS about finding the perfect glitch-spots, and "trying out moves" or some BS -- never about JUST PLAYING. Oh, wait, there's that, OR THAT PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IF THEY AREN'T PLAYING FORGE. (For those who don't know, Forge is where each player can spawn their own vehicles and weapons)

So, I put the game in it's case, and ended up trading it in for another game. Then game a few weeks ago, where my brother picked up a copy from his friend -- where I figured "what the hell" and continued where I left off, and beat the game (Single Player -- woot 3 for xxx achievement ). I still refuse to play Multiplayer.

Halo 1 and 2 were great on the original Xbox. And I know that Halo 3 on the 360 isn't much different at all, but there's just this whole new feeling to it.

So let's stray from the negatives. The Halo series has an AWESOME storyline. And, in my honest opinion, it shouldn't have been a video game. It SHOULD have been a movie, or even a novel (series, maybe). And then maybe, just maybe, base a video game off of it. This is just my opinion.

Gameplay isn't terrible either. There's enough flexibility in the controller layouts for me to get comfortable with (and not that push-up-on-analog-to-move-vehicle-forward BS that drive's me insane -- give me a throttle trigger!).

High Def. THIS. IS. GORGEOUS. I own a 52" Samsung 120Hz 1080p HDTV set. HDMI on this beast is INSANE. Graphics are beautiful, and digital surround sound whoops ass. More than I can say for Vegas 2, GTAIV, or even Rock Band and Rock Band 2!

So, let's discuss.

Halo 1 was a great FPS game, really put the Xbox on the map for FPS's.
    Halo 2 was OK, but had competitive multiplayer that was about how many glitches you could exploit, etc.

Halo 3, is and was a good game, but the single player was repetitive as hell. More so, the first few months(before Christmas) the multiplayer was great! It was decently balanced and not to glitchy and had a good community. Come Christmas, it was just as you described, little kids making 'your mom' and 'that's what she said' jokes on the mic, cursing at each other, etc etc. It got to the point where I put the game up and said to my self, 'f*ck this' and since then the game sits on my shelf.

There was going to be a Halo movie...I don't know the status on it anymore...And there are books...I've played through the campaign on 2 and 3 a bunch of times...I've played multiplayer, and I didn't here too much immatureness...But I find it annoying when people just camp, or when no one works with you to win, they just go in firing blindly...I don't know what you mean about people refusing to play if it's not forge though

That's when you're playing with your friends locally, Pojo.

And, omfg, Halo's soundtrack is orgasmic.

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    That's when you're playing with your friends locally, Pojo.
    Ah, well I don't have many Live friends D:

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    Sure, it made millions. Sure, it threw Microsoft into the world of gaming (yeah, debate away). Lets begin.

I'll start off with getting it out of the way that I'm not a fan of Halo (1, 2, or 3). I own Halo 3, I've had it since it came out. But, I just beat the game on Heroic yesterday. I know most of you are going LULWTFZ?!, but yeah. I beat it yesterday. Well, why, you ask? Because, it's simple, I don't play it.

Why don't I play Halo 3? Well, I got it, and had it for a while. And, yeah, I'm gonna use the same excuse that a lot of others use -- because it's valid... Come Christmas time, EVERY KID ON EARTH got a copy of Halo 3. And, what happened? They went online with it. When you're trying to play a game, the last thing you want/need is a bunch of 10-13 year-olds farting/spitting into the mic, and screaming yo-momma and penis jokes back and forth (oh, and the constant curse-battles....omfg) toward each other, it's sickening and it's annoying beyond belief. Also: whenever I play even local multiplayer, it's ALWAYS about finding the perfect glitch-spots, and "trying out moves" or some BS -- never about JUST PLAYING. Oh, wait, there's that, OR THAT PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IF THEY AREN'T PLAYING FORGE. (For those who don't know, Forge is where each player can spawn their own vehicles and weapons)

So, I put the game in it's case, and ended up trading it in for another game. Then game a few weeks ago, where my brother picked up a copy from his friend -- where I figured "what the hell" and continued where I left off, and beat the game (Single Player -- woot 3 for xxx achievement ). I still refuse to play Multiplayer.

Halo 1 and 2 were great on the original Xbox. And I know that Halo 3 on the 360 isn't much different at all, but there's just this whole new feeling to it.

So let's stray from the negatives. The Halo series has an AWESOME storyline. And, in my honest opinion, it shouldn't have been a video game. It SHOULD have been a movie, or even a novel (series, maybe). And then maybe, just maybe, base a video game off of it. This is just my opinion.

Gameplay isn't terrible either. There's enough flexibility in the controller layouts for me to get comfortable with (and not that push-up-on-analog-to-move-vehicle-forward BS that drive's me insane -- give me a throttle trigger!).

High Def. THIS. IS. GORGEOUS. I own a 52" Samsung 120Hz 1080p HDTV set. HDMI on this beast is INSANE. Graphics are beautiful, and digital surround sound whoops ass. More than I can say for Vegas 2, GTAIV, or even Rock Band and Rock Band 2!

So, let's discuss.
    Rock Band 2 is better in Surround :3 With my setup, it's even better than being at a real concert because there's no-one moshing next to you with long hair and giving you a sweat shower :P

7.1 Surround Sound for Rock Band 2? Well, I guess it's boringish -- ish, because it is awesome, no doubt -- to me because I'm used to loud music playing over a sound system.

Yeah, but you've got the crowd singing cheering and singing along and when you've got four people going at it on expert it's just *epic*.

True that -- although I don't have many friends and Xbox Live doesn't have that awe that you're talking about, so I wouldn't know, unfortunately .

I always found the halo(series) single player to be a bit too easy even on legendary. When I made the jump to live, I was impressed that there were players who could beat me easily. However, I too hate the kids who try to get on live and "act cool" by swearing and screaming into the mic. So I stopped playing Halo and I have not picked it up in months.