Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest presidential debate

Default latest presidential debate

so did you watch the presidential debate this evening, and if so what were your thoughts?

personally i thought the candidates both did an extraordinarily good job of presenting themselves. after a vice presidential debate last week that was a frenzy of personal attacks and rebuttals it was so refreshing to see a debate in which the participants focused on the issues rather than seizing every opportunity to belittle one another. i actually felt good after watching the debate. it's been my opinion up until now that if mccain were elected america's position of power and leadership in the international community during the last two hundred years would be at an end. but he spoke so compellingly on topics of foreign policy that i found myself feeling significantly reassured that he has the wisdom and experience not to lead our country down a path of total destruction. perhaps his choices wouldn't be ones that i agree with, but they would be intelligent, deliberate choices.

obama simply shone. i was trying to think of a word to describe his understanding of the issues facing our country; he's an intelligent man, and a cautious man, but the best word to describe his outlook is "nuanced." unlike i think every candidate who has run for presidential office during my lifetime, obama does not see the world in black and white terms. he showed a detailed and balanced understanding of every issue he discussed, and he based his opinions not on his own bluster but upon sound, respectable research. he struck me as someone who possesses the humility to work in cooperation with other people.

i don't know if it's a deliberate ploy or a natural mannerism, but the way obama hems and haws a bit as he speaks -- hesitates and appears to be making it up as he goes along -- is very reassuring to me. he sounds like he's thinking, and that's one of the most important things i want our president to be able to do. he sounds like he possesses a body of knowledge that he's able to draw from as needed that would serve him well in tackling the unpredictable challenges that would face him in office. obama seems to be a person who has thought not just about winning the election but about actually being the president of the united states. mccain is a compelling speaker but it's all campaign talk, and even in a non-scripted context like this he sounded a bit canned. he seemed more eager to come up with slogans than to respond accurately to the questions he was asked. i have to question whether he's thought much at all about what he would actually do as president -- so much of his rhetoric seems to be focused on the goal of winning.

i found mccain's quiet, reasonable tone within the context of the debate very reassuring. there were only a couple of times where he rolled his eyes at obama or attempted to insert snarky comments. obama was consistently mature and respectful. unlike his running mate joe biden, obama is able to take his opponent seriously and address his attacks without getting emotionally involved.

i really really want barack obama to be president. it was with great reluctance that i voted for gore in 2000 and kerry in '04: both of them were candidates i had significant reservations about and voted for simply because i hoped they had a chance of defeating george bush. for the first time, though, there's a candidate that i think would make a fantastic president. he's an intelligent, thoughtful, insightful person who possesses all of the wisdom and experience necessary for leadership.

For American politics, Obama has got a substantial lead on McCain already. As long as it holds, and it's done nothing but widen as of late, then Obama will win for sure.

I personally thought the debate was pretty dull. It was supposed to be a town hall, which usually means you get some pretty off the wall and difficult questions. Instead, the questions were filtered to cover only a very narrow set of topics.

Aside from the topics, it seemed neither candidate was all that interested in following the time limits, which was getting Brokaw kind of jacked. To me, it seemed a lot of the debate was each candidate reciting his stock accusations about the other, along with the stock rebuttals. Each says something of the other, and the other comes back and says it's just simply not true.

All and all, it was boring. I expected a much more interesting debate. Coming out of it, I didn't feel better about either candidate.

Tom Brokaw was getting pissed about times during the broadcast.

my thoughts are that its pointless for me to watch. I already know who's getting my vote unless he is charged with something big and its proven. Anyways Obama is a great public speaker like Hitler was (though they have nothing else in common it seams), he can get people pumped up. McCain does not have this I expect that's one of the reason he picked Palin.

Anyways due to Obama's nearly hypnotic voice I always think he will win any debate he is in even if hes proven wrong.

I haven't watched it yet but I taped it for later watch so I'll make a post later.

Darkfinn

I personally prefer a more structured debate to a town-hall style one... and as has been said before... I think America is so far divided that people aren't going to change their vote no matter what is said by either candidate or their running mates.

From what I have seen in the polls the worse the economy gets the higher Obama's numbers go. Obama wins on the economy and healthcare... but loses on the war and foreign policy. Right now the economy is the #1 concern among Americans... so the scales are definately tipped in Obama's favor. I am pretty confident that he will beat McCain... I don't think it will be a landslide, but it will be a win.

Edit: Fact check on yesterday's debate. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/...bNa4z.u.SMwfIE

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    From what I have seen in the polls the worse the economy gets the higher Obama's numbers go. Obama wins on the economy and healthcare... but loses on the war and foreign policy. Right now the economy is the #1 concern among Americans... so the scales are definately tipped in Obama's favor. I am pretty confident that he will beat McCain... I don't think it will be a landslide, but it will be a win.
    Darkfinn,

You and I normally hold two entirely separate views when it comes to politics, but I have to admit, I absolutely cannot agree with you more on this statement, particularly the one about the economy. Regardless of what it's blamed on, Bush is and will be held responsible for the economic crisis in America currently, and I think that's really going to slam Republicans in their ass come this election.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    Bush is and will be held responsible for the economic crisis in America currently, and I think that's really going to slam Republicans in their ass come this election.
    And yet congress is mostly democrats and yet bush gets ALL the blame and thus McCain gets blamed too even though he nor Obama have NOTHING to do with the current state of pretty much anything. Anyway's it seams to of been switching every 8 years the party's switch control. It was 4 years of Regan then 4 years Bush Senior right (born in 1987 here), then 8 years of Clinton then 8 years of bush.

Mako

The democrats were a do-nothing congress, not so much because they chose to do nothing, they didn't have the numbers in their favour to do anything under a republican president. As I'm sure them not wanting to feed any republican attack ads in 2008 played a part. But yes, no matter what the party with the president gets the blame.

But as for debates, they're only cannon fodder for those who've already made up their mind about who they are voting for, but there still exists a large number of people who are unsure. The reason you will rarely run into these people is because the majority are rather quite uninformed of the issues, or are retarded and don't understand the issues, thus look for the person who makes them feel like fapping the most.