Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infected Tooth Terrors!

Unhappy Infected Tooth Terrors!

ahh!
    I have an infected molar and its causing my jaw to hurt and im getting an ear infection and i can feel the wisdom tooth next to it isn't loose but its up a lot higher then before and its getting infected too!

I went to the ER today and got prescriptions for Amoxicilin and Vicodin and Ibuprofen... but i could only afford the Amoxicilin cause i have no insurance. i know it will help get rid of the infection but i need painkillers too!!!!!!!!!!

plus the doctor told me that the infection needs to go away before a dentist can get anywhere near my tooth/teeth.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 09-Jun-2012 at 22:10. Reason: Removed purple font

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedaddy View Post
    I went to the ER today and got prescriptions for Amoxicilin and Vicodin and Ibuprofen... but i could only afford the Amoxicilin cause i have no insurance. i know it will help get rid of the infection but i need painkillers too!!!!!!!!!!
    Ibuprofen is pretty cheap. If you don't want to go to a pharmacy, just go to a grocery store and get Advil or any other ibuprofen tablet. Then just follow your prescription as far as how much and how often to take it.

plus the doctor told me that the infection needs to go away before a dentist can get anywhere near my tooth/teeth.
    Odd. Dentists deal with oral infections (e.g., infections in dental work) all the time. If you haven't already seen a dentist, I would suggest doing so pronto to at least validate what your doctor has said.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Let me echo Cottontail. Tooth infections can be life threatening.
    oh no!
    are you serious?
    please explain?

- - - Updated - - -

I just found out that I have Gum Disease.....
    I am so terrified!!!!!!!!!!

teddybear206

nah screw normal stuff when my dad had that they perscribed him oxycottin, id get to a docter , like NOW.

The point about life-threatening is that oral infections can spread. It's not so much that the tooth infection itself is directly life-threatening, you just don't want it making its way into your bloodstream and ending up somewhere else.

I had a fantastically lame (but educational!) bout with peri- and myocarditis a couple of years ago (infection/inflammation of the heart muscle and surrounding tissue). Once it's been proven that your body is susceptible to such things, dentists get really interested! Mine was immediately concerned about stirring up bacterial when cleaning my teeth, and feared that there might be a chance of kickstarting another heart infection. However, he went right ahead and cleaned my teeth. He just gave me a giant dose of oral antibiotics and a special industrial-strength antibiotic mouthwash first--nasty stuff! But dentists are used to dealing with bacteria in the mouth.

Regarding the gum disease, I expect you got this information from a dentist? Well... that's half the battle. I hope you're able to get treatment for it (whatever the variety) immediately!
    Last edited by Cottontail; 10-Jun-2012 at 01:01. Reason: typo

Any infection can be life threatening and should never be taken lightly. Tooth infections in particular because of the area they are in (paths to the brain and heart). You've got medication to fight the infection and you've seen a doctor.. so I wouldn't get too worried.. just don't let it go untreated.

It seems reasonable that a dentist is probably going to want to clear up the infection before doing a root canal/extraction... but still might be a good idea to see one. They might be able to drain it (I had an absess once and this made a huge difference in the pain) or they might just tell you what the doctor told you.

(Obvious disclaimer: I'm not a dentist or a doctor, and as has been said, infections are not to be screwed around with. I'd say get to a dentist if you can manage it to be on the safe side.)

ahh!
    I have an infected molar and its causing my jaw to hurt and im getting an ear infection and i can feel the wisdom tooth next to it isn't loose but its up a lot higher then before and its getting infected too!

As I said in the other thread, yep, your mouth (gums) is a direct route to your bloodstream.

This is why others are saying that infections here are nothing to mess with.

Definitely complete the antibiotic course; as I said in the other thread, it sounds like you might have an abscess in that molar.

Oh hey--I saw your "I have gum disease" thing below--get yourself a WaterPik and use it. Best $80 you'll ever spend in dental care. No, I don't have one, but that's because I'm too stupid and broke for this. My dad does, and he's had his for 20 years. He saw results after a couple months, and so did our dentist.

You can get a WATERPIK -DELUXE MODEL WP100 FOR $46.97+ SALES TAX FROM WALMART ON LINE.
    THEY WILL DELIVER TO YOUR HOME FOR FREE. USUALLY TAKES 2 DAYS.

I'll second the waterpik recommendation.. though talk to your dentist first (if you've got deep gum pockets or some other conditions, a waterpik can actually make things worse if not used properly..). They take some getting used to... but made a huge difference in my case.

If you are looking for general dental info, I find DoctorSpiller.com; An encyclopedia of dentistry pretty informative. Like anything else on the internet/anywhere however.. remember it represents one view point and always take with lots of salt.