Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daft question

Default Daft question

Bit of a stupid question here but are there many people who are into furrys but not actually suiting up themselves, I mean I am all about the abdl scene and have no interest in dressing up as anything other than a baby but ever since I can remember fancying anyone ive always had a liking for certain cartoon characters, anyone remember gadget from rescue rangers? Or maybe Maid Marion from the old Disney Robin Hood and let's not forget cheetara From thundercats, all of these were easily apparent to me well before puberty even now I can't help but like Helena Bonham Carter in planet of the apes, yes the film not brilliant but she is damn hot even as a chimpanzee!!!!!!!

Que the ridicule for that last one..................

Don't see a question. I assume you are asking why does everyone not suit in the fandom? Very few of the furries actually want to dress up, they are more in it for the art work. Those that do, but don't do it, probably cannot afford a suit seeing as they cost upwards of $1000 for a decent one.

The question if badly phrased was do most furries identify with a 'fursona' regardless of costumes or are many just observers much like a guy who likes seeing women in diapers but has no urge to wear himself

Cygnus

The furry fandom is centered around anthropomorphic animals, not costuming. Costuming happens to be a fun part of the furry culture, but the culture is not centered around it. In fact, only about 10-13% of furries own a fursuit. Furry is a a glob of artwork, writing, community, socializing, music, networking and many other things. Costuming is but a mere portion of the culture.

SkarTiger

Well, there are a number of factors about the answer.

1.) Some Furries don't like the fursuits as they overheat very easily (especially on hot days) and as the approaching summer months, this occurs even more so. It gets really stuffy in there.

2.) Most furries don't even like fursuits themselves as Elum said, only about 10%-13% of furries actually own fursuits as this community is based around other things like artwork, stories, music and tonnes of other things. It's not all about suiting up in full costume

3.) We all have fursonas which are our 'characters' (I couldn't think of a better word for it but 'characters' isn't the way to put it). We draw artwork of our fursonas, write fictional stories or we dress up as them in a fursuit.

4.) One important and influential reason is the cost of having a fursuit made. Furries can either have their suit made by a professional fursuit maker or make it themselves. The average cost of a fursuit by a maker in the UK is around 750-800 and that is a lot of money in our time and is difficult to come by for most people these days. "Why can't you make it yourself" yes it would be a lot cheaper but the materials are expensive too and it takes great skill and profession to make a fursuit. So, I'm good with sewing but I'd be in no position to set myself the enormous task of building my own fursuit.

Believe me, I'm saving up right now to get myself some things for my fursona (possibly a partial suit or a full suit). I'm not stopping until I get to a real substantial amount. Tiger fusuits are more expensive by the amount of airbrushing needed. But even if I get to that amount, how am I going to tell my parents? They know about me being a furry but my mum doesn't like it so, I'm just gonna wait until I leave home.

I would like my own fursuit and I definitely would go out fursuiting with it. But the reasons above show why most furries do not wear fursuits themselves.
    Hope this helps
    Anakin Furlover

I am a fursuiter and yes wearing a fursuit is hot in hot weather. The hottest week of the year happened to be at the same time that "Confuzzled" was. There were 2 to 3 hundered fursuiters out of a maximum attendees of 725 ish. So the proportion of fursuiters is much greater here.
    I must say though that I am a white Tiger and wearing a fursuit in winter is fantastic, the cold is great, I can fursuit up for hours when the temperature goes under 0`Centigrade/celsius.

Paddedlion

I personally can't wait to get a fursuit, I think I'll enjoy going about dressed as a lion. I guess most people don't dress up because of the price

SkarTiger

Quote Originally Posted by Paddedlion View Post
    I personally can't wait to get a fursuit, I think I'll enjoy going about dressed as a lion. I guess most people don't dress up because of the price
    I can't wait either! I'd just love to be fully dressed up as my fursona and not being ashamed of it! Most people don't dress up because of the price and many other factors, but I'm definitely getting one!

Paddedlion

Quote Originally Posted by Anaknfurlover View Post
    I can't wait either! I'd just love to be fully dressed up as my fursona and not being ashamed of it! Most people don't dress up because of the price and many other factors, but I'm definitely getting one!
    Same I can't wait, going to all the different cons