Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car help.

Default Car help.

At the moment I'm driving a 1990 Nissan sentra. I don't particularly like it but I'm going to be stuck with it for a while so i will just live with it.

The question I'm asking is how do I install a tachometer on the dashboard? The reason I ask is dispite the fact that it has a manual gearbox it lacks a tach in the dash. At times I like to keep it in the power band but at the moment I don't know where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    At the moment I'm driving a 1990 Nissan sentra. I don't particularly like it but I'm going to be stuck with it for a while so i will just live with it.

The question I'm asking is how do I install a tachometer on the dashboard? The reason I ask is dispite the fact that it has a manual gearbox it lacks a tach in the dash. At times I like to keep it in the power band but at the moment I don't know where it is.
    Need Help Installing Tachometer - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum
    I think this might help you

Though after a while you won't even need the tach you'll pick up on where to shift on your own just by sound of motor

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Need Help Installing Tachometer - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum
    I think this might help you

Though after a while you won't even need the tach you'll pick up on where to shift on your own just by sound of motor
    Thanks for the link. At the moment I'm fine without the tach and do most of my driving of the sound of the motor (I often stall if I can't hear it) but I enjoy rather sprited driving and don't want to push it over the redline.

I often stall if I can't hear it
    Nothing a goof "fartcan" exhaust tip can't fix! Nah if you really want to hear it better and get a performance boost a good borla Exaust system or if you can afford it a dc sports Exaust will give you better sound without being compleatly obnoxious like most import cars and horsepower boost

when i had my old neon sport it hade a DC exaust and it sounded good

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj630/w0lfpack91/Facebook/Meh%20sh/34731_111569405568907_1151340_n.jpg
    Last edited by Trevor; 08-Jun-2012 at 00:47. Reason: merging posts.

Good tip with the exhaust but I don't really want to put to much money in to it. I'm wanting to buy a better car but unfortunately My parents won't help me run a new car. If your interested I want to buy this as a project.

wow i didn't think they had El camino's over there. (El Camino is GM's American version of that)

from appearance it looks like a solid car dont seem to be much rust if any at all just by looking at it.
    to be honest (and this is the american in me talking) id have to put a bigger engine in it. the Chevy El Camino SS came with a 454 cubic inch (7.3 liter) big block V-8 those were bad ass little cars.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj630/w0lfpack91/Facebook/Meh%20sh/ElCamino454SS.jpg
    ^
    Chevy El camino SS |

Believe it or not but that's a big engine for over here in nz.

You should be able to look up what gear to MPH=RPM is ...example 5th-gear @ 70MPH...or in your case probably what would be equivalent 113KPH...may be around 3k RPM. For stock 4-cylindar...I believe the efficiency to power 'band' is between 2k-3k RPM. I believe holding 5k+>>RPM is the self destruct range. Keep in mind a 1990 is probably going to be high in use...let alone how often the oil was changed. If you intend 'spirited' driving to mean fast cruising speeds...don't blast through the gears rapping-out to get there...change the oil regularly, and mind the corners, other traffic...etc and your engine should hold out for a bit.

-Marka

I got a call at work today and have been given an oppertunity for an apprenticeship if a week trial goes well so I may be up grading vehicles a lot sooner than I thought I would be!

Option 1: turn your radio off while trying to push your car to performance. You WiLL hear the motor in a Nissan. Option 2: The biggest clue to hitting max power is your car will lag and actually slow down..... time to shift.

I'm not sure why you would try to performance drive a Sentra unless you are pouring gobs of money into it to race similar 4 cylinder cars (over 3k and would likely exceed the value of your vehicle alone). Save your money and time. Simply putting a tach in your car will not make it faster no matter how you drive it.

Edit: If you are trying to up your mpg then wait 2-3 seconds after accelerating to desired speed and then let off when you feel/hear the car ease. If it doesn't slow down you are most likely at a gas saving cruising speed. It it slows down you can guage a slower speed. A 90's Sentra will achieve best mpg at about 45mph and slightly less on highway at about 60mph given the terrain is flat. Please forgive me, I do not know KmpH conversions for this.