Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legalizing every single drug on the face of the planet

Default Legalizing every single drug on the face of the planet

Ye, it's a radical idea, but just bear with me.

Prohibition clearly doesn't work, and never has worked. The US's War on Drugs isn't working and never will work. If people want to get high somehow, they'll figure out how to and then pay a hefty sum of money. Example: DMT; an illegal psychedellic that causes the most potent hallucinations known to man kind. In Canada it's classified in the same category as heroin. Despite being so illegal, it is probably one of the easiest drugs to get. I'm not going to tell you how, because there are some suggestible youth on this site. But DMT is found in everyone and mostly everything, from our own brains to the grass in your backyard.

Giving someone jailtime for being addicted to heroin or cocaine does not make any sense to me. They aren't going to get the help they need in jail, and once they'r back on the street, they'll be robbing people for money for their next hit. A way to help a physically dependent person would be to send them to a rehab center where they can be weened off the drug.

For a couple of months, BC got permission from the Canadian federal government to provide a safe needle exchange. Basicly, heroin users would go to this building where they would be provided with free, sterilized needles to use. This was simply a short term experiment to see if it would help slow the spread of AIDS and other disease through dirty needles. To my knowledge, somewhere in Europe they've been doing the same thing, and it helps. Unfortunately, the safe injection site in Canada has been closed down.

Porbation of alcohol failed miserably in Canada and in the US. Well, in Canada there wasn't much of a probabtion. But still, it fell flat on its face. People still drank, maybe even moreso than normal. So if probabtion only works in theory, than why are we still using it? People, of course, are afraid that legalising meth, or heroin, or cocaine will cause everybody to spontaneously start taking all kinds of drugs. I don't know about any of you, but I wouldn't suddenly start injecting heroin into my body if it were legalised. Why? Because of education. Which brings me to my next point.

If probation isn't the way to go, what is? It's called edumacation. You educate people on the effects of drug use. You don't lie or create ironicaly humorous propaganda ads; but you actualy educate the public on drugs. And you provide free rehabilitation for the people addicted. Free, because, let's face it, it's a lot of poor and homeless who are addicted, having squandered all their money on their drug cocktail of choice. But where does all this money come from? Taxation and sales of the drugs.

Now that the government controls the sales of drugs, it pretty much destroys the black market. Sure there may still be people out there buying organs and whatnot, but now that the drug trade has disapeared overnight, crime rates will drop. No more gang turf wars. No more meth addicts robbing stores. Less murders. No Columbian cocaine. No more recovering cancer patients getting fined because they used marijuana to ease the pain, increase their hunger, and help them sleep.

In fact, to the US: Putting a person in jail for posesing a small amount of marijuana for personal use should not be a jail-able offence. The person is a marijuana user using the drug to relax/eat/have fun. They prove no threat to you or society. Don't let your morals get mixed up with your laws. It's not your personal objective to stop this person from smoking marijuana. And it's not your personal objective to stop people from doing anything in the safety of their own home. Whether that be doing drugs, having gay sex, or wearing a diaper. It's none of our buisness what a person does in their spare time. And it's none of theirs what we do in ours. Just because your religion forbids it doesn't mean everyone wants to follow your religion. So keep your religion and morals out of the government and how the country is run. If there are laws that need to be obeyed by everyone, and those laws are based on a religion, and not everyone believes in that religion, than we have serious problems. Canada/US were founded on the ideals that everyone should be free from persecution based on race/religion.

So, checklist:
    [ ] Stop the War on Drugs
    [ ] Legalise all drugs
    [ ] Tax all drugs
    [ ] Use tax money to educate the public
    [ ] Use the tax money to help those in need.

Not to mention this will also help with the overpopulation in prisons scene.

And I know a lot of people are afraid of communism and sociolism. But this isn't sociolism any more than Canada's universal health care system is.

- And that's my opinion.

you've stated why people are affraid of leagalising drugs, but you defenitly understated it. i don't know about your school, but if mine would fall if drugs were leagalised. if people could get drugs like they get potato chips, education won't matter. people know fast and greasy foods make them unhealthy, but they eat it anyway. if they know drugs are unhealthy, but makes them even more happy than bad food, why wouldn't thay abuse it. it's this common state of mind in the US that prevents the government form leagalising drugs.

I say do it, Darwinism at it's finest.

Butterfly Mage

I work in law enforcement. If drug were legalized, they would still continue to destroy lives even if the person who is addicted doesn't go to jail. I can possibly see some merit in legalizing marijuana, but not cocaine or heroin. the latter two are powerful and addictive drugs that do nothing but destroy. Heroin in particular is nearly impossible to be free of once addicted.

The average heroin addict I encounter in my work is someone who is chronically unemployed and has a host of drug-related health concerns (AIDS, Hep-C, etc.) If the addict didn't get arrested he/she would still be unemployed and ill.

Now, in my humble opinion, the reason why the War in Drugs failed is that our military is bogged down in Iraq instead of fire-bombing the poppy fields in Afghanistan (and other places). Additionally, the judges seem to only want to give drug dealers 6-12 month of jail time out of a 20 year sentence. the the way the drug dealers operate, doing six months in jail once in a while is simply the cost of doing business.

Legalize marijuana? You could maybe convince me.
    Legalize heroin and cocaine? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

Oh Yea!!!

I'll likely catch hell for this but, those of us that work and support our family’s and ourselves are sick and tired of being taxed to take care of the lazy and high! Civilization is doomed as we waste more and more resources on those who could but wont. Now I don't mean the truly ill or injured but most social service money goes to the lazy scammers. I've dealt with so many...

Nam

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    Oh Yea!!!

I'll likely catch hell for this but, those of us that work and support our family’s and ourselves are sick and tired of being taxed to take care of the lazy and high! Civilization is doomed as we waste more and more resources on those who could but wont. Now I don't mean the truly ill or injured but most social service money goes to the lazy scammers. I've dealt with so many...

Nam
    if they're lazy then how do they fill out the paperwork?

also, without clean, safe havens for needle disposale and with drug users going to jail for these offenses, how could they turn their lives around with a rap sheet?

and another thing, what about the rich that are using their fresh, minted millions to buy up all the blow they want through courier services? all we keep doing is pruning the drug war bush to keep it flourishing. anyone want to take a guess at how much that f*cker has costed us over the decades? what have we won as far as the drug war is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    if they're lazy then how do they fill out the paperwork?
    They walk in to the social services office and get them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    also, without clean, safe havens for needle disposale and with drug users going to jail for these offenses, how could they turn their lives around with a rap sheet?
    Know any who want to turn their life around? As long as they can stay in the system, stay high and not have to work they are content. Not just druggies I ment, their is a huge percentage of humans in the US living off the system by wit not need.

The war on drugs is pointless and lost. Let em have what they want. Those that can handle it live those that can't OD. Those that work and save eat those who want to run up a credt card and watch TV I'm not bailing out.

That is survival of the fittest AKa Darwinism.

Nam

weswissa

Best thing I've seen all day. Positive rep for you.

Only if we enforce the death penalty for anyone committing a crime while under the influence of a mind altering drug.

No if someone can get cheap drugs and lots of them without consequence they will OD in a week. By the way this won't work because in order for it to work our society would have to be socialized to be used to having all these things available and we aren't thus thousands of people will die in the first few weeks and then boom its all illegal again.