Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diaper help

Default Cloth diaper help

Okay, I need some help on both folding and pinning. Sometimes the folds cant be used as a diaper and when they can, its really hard to pin them up. Any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    Okay, I need some help on both folding and pinning. Sometimes the folds cant be used as a diaper and when they can, its really hard to pin them up. Any advise?
    What kind of diapers are you using exactly? Flats? Prefolds? ... What folds are you trying? More info, please!

Regarding pinning: It can take some practice, and some fabrics are fairly hard to pin. Some people keep their diaper pins in a bar of soap when not in use, as the soap residue helps them slide through the fabric. Another trick is the rub the pins through your hair to get some oils on them before pinning. Sharp pins also help! I've got a pair of 3" adult-sized diaper pins for AB/DLs (from Baby Pants), and they just plain suck for pinning my twill-weave diapers (from Changing Times) because the taper is too steep. They work fine with the looser gauze-weave diapers, however. Baby diaper pins are just better all around, IMO. Dritz pins are ok. The custom extra-sharp Dritz pins from Green Mountain ROCK! The pins from AdultClothDiaper.com work great, but I've found it's a bit too easy to bend them by accident.

Sorry for rambling!

^^^ He's got the bulk of it. I'll add that some of the folds need a bit of modification from what they show in the pictures. I use flat diapers with a kite fold, and I usually find that I have to flare out the pointy end in order to get it pinned. Don't be scared to experiment and modify a fold or do some other thing to fit your preference.

Speaking of which, what folds are you trying? What sort of diapers are you trying them with?

I use an angel or kite fold and avoid the pins all together snappi's to 2T size the largest they make works great for holding the diaper in place an d I wear between a 40"-46" pant normally depending on maker. I have some mama baby pants birdseye pre-fold Xl size and usually use a flannel contour as a stuffer as it is softer and more comfortable and then with the angel the snappi reaches nicely a 10-12"s down the front and stretchs to about 28"s from side to side though it can stretch a little more this comfortably and securely holds the diaper in place especially when a cover is added. Also as an added bonuses included not risking popping a pin and having it stick you, it is easier on the material, and it avoids the possibility of contact metal allergies in my case I am allergic nickel big time so most stainless pins I could not use.
    Any way snappi is my favorite option for prefolds, contours and flats here is there page Snappi Diaper Fastener - makes cloth diapering easy. If you need proof or want see how they look I can post a pic of myself in a prefold angel fold with a properly placed snappi.

Use a Snappi. Way better than diaper pins.

I use the toddler size that fit well for me. It's very secure and confortable.

I use prefold and my folding method is usually just folding the front part and leaving the back unfolded to form wings. I can also use it unfolded for a thinner front portion.

Just a note on the Snappi option: With prefolds, unless you're on the small side, you'll have to oversize your diapers quite a bit in order for a single Snappi to work. Otherwise, the back corners simply won't come close enough together when pulled forward for a Snappi (sized for babies, remember!) to reach both of them. For instance, in my case, the medium prefolds from ChangingTimesDiaperCo.com are a perfect fit, however I cannot Snappi them. I actually cannot Snappi a large, either. I have to use an XL! (which I have, and it does work fine) Of course, I could use two Snappis (one on each side) with the mediums, but much of their benefit is gone at that point.

You are right. Size 2 Snappie would accomodate someone with a waist of around 32 inchs. Larger than that, your "wings" must be longer.
    They should make a larger Snappi. (O:

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    What kind of diapers are you using exactly? Flats? Prefolds? ... What folds are you trying? More info, please!

Regarding pinning: It can take some practice, and some fabrics are fairly hard to pin. Some people keep their diaper pins in a bar of soap when not in use, as the soap residue helps them slide through the fabric. Another trick is the rub the pins through your hair to get some oils on them before pinning. Sharp pins also help! I've got a pair of 3" adult-sized diaper pins for AB/DLs (from Baby Pants), and they just plain suck for pinning my twill-weave diapers (from Changing Times) because the taper is too steep. They work fine with the looser gauze-weave diapers, however. Baby diaper pins are just better all around, IMO. Dritz pins are ok. The custom extra-sharp Dritz pins from Green Mountain ROCK! The pins from AdultClothDiaper.com work great, but I've found it's a bit too easy to bend them by accident.

Sorry for rambling!
    I'm using towel diapers, so flats. Thanks for your help, its great. Do you have any advise on to pin a doubler, I have trouble with that.

If them moving is problem pin through the outer most layer diaper, and into the part of doubler that comes into contact with with inside of the outer diaper, you never want metal from the pin exposed on the inside when pinning a doubler that and use a safety lock safety pin a giant 2-3" should be big enough two in the front two in the rear for the most secure hold or one in the middle from and back should hold as well and give the pad a little more room to move.

the snappi's are good I use them on my diapers, also remember to tuck the plastic baby pants into the diapers or you will leak, if you tuck them in you will not leak if you don't you will leak. I remember when I started with cloth diapers the first wetting went right out the legs, I had to search the net for what was wrong, found that you had to tuck them plastic baby pants in. If your PBP have a white lining around the leg holes and waists you want to tuck it far enough in not to see the white.