Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popularity- Why do people need it?

Default Popularity- Why do people need it?

Recently I was talking to some friends of mine I went to high school with and we were talking about popularity how some people thrived on it both in school and out of school. Like they had to be the center of attention. I myself was never popular in school and the subject of a lot of bullying.

I have seen people use popularity online at forums too. Now, this is not a call out for those who are popular but to ask why do people need it? I feel like I can't understand why people want to be the center of attention.

This has been on my mind because I've seen people cling to popularity no matter whether it is school or on the internet. So, I wonder why people need it; is it cause they don't get love at home or anywhere else? Or what?

Maybe I don't understand it cause I'm autistic or something. I dunnknow.

WildThing121675

I think it has to do with the psychological need humans have to belong. In general, the more people a person knows, and the more they are praised and paid attention to, the more they feel like they really belong in their society. I also think it may tie into our herd instinct in the fact that it makes us feel safe in our group(s). Like, if trouble comes about, it won't be an issue because being so well liked means people will have your back.

Well I'm not autistic and never really cared nor do care how popular I am. I'm also introverted, but still I'd rather have a few friends then have like a billion and be "popular." Granted part of that could be how awful I find most of the popular things in society today to be.

As for other people, I know popularity outside of school can help in terms of getting jobs. Or at least how I learned is the job market anymore is about who you know more then what you know (Which I also find a bit shit).

People need popularity?

Not all people, WildThing. Not all people.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    Recently I was talking to some friends of mine I went to high school with and we were talking about popularity how some people thrived on it both in school and out of school. Like they had to be the center of attention. I myself was never popular in school and the subject of a lot of bullying.

I have seen people use popularity online at forums too. Now, this is not a call out for those who are popular but to ask why do people need it? I feel like I can't understand why people want to be the center of attention.

This has been on my mind because I've seen people cling to popularity no matter whether it is school or on the internet. So, I wonder why people need it; is it cause they don't get love at home or anywhere else? Or what?

Maybe I don't understand it cause I'm autistic or something. I dunnknow.

WildThing121675

Because humans are social animals, and when you find yourself unpopular or an outcast, it can make you want to shoot yourself in the face. I should know, though I have never shot myself in the face.

CrinklySiren

I never wanted to be popular but more just accepted and treated fairly (though that never happened either) I hated the popular crowd and though they were so conformist ( I was a punk back then lol) but i still think popularity is over rated when it comes to high school and school in general. I think those that feel a need to be popular suffer from a lack of attention at home so they need it from their peers at school. Fuck popularity though, most of those people turn out to be dicks. MOST of those people (for those who were popular in high school lol) I mean at one point i did gain popularity for playing at a music festival but I was humble and modest and did nothing with my popularity because I was just glad people KNEW who i was, i didnt care much for where it went from there.

That was all I wanted- to be socially accepted. Not popularity. I just wanted to be accepted back then and be a person that people liked and considered a friend. I later learned that I had more friends than I thought I did back then and that kind of helped me make a lot of peace in my life.

I just will never understand people I guess

WildThing121675

I think, though, that there's a difference between being popular, and wanting to be the centre of attention.

I think I veer towards wanting to be the centre of attention, not necessarily the popular side of the spectrum. Ask anyone who's met me, and they'll probably say I'm quite needy, socially. But I've never been one for cliques.

I don't know... that's just a bumble of words there, I'ma come back and edit it once I've been to class and my brains working properly!

Wait, what?!

Look for a PM from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I think, though, that there's a difference between being popular, and wanting to be the centre of attention.

I think I veer towards wanting to be the centre of attention, not necessarily the popular side of the spectrum. Ask anyone who's met me, and they'll probably say I'm quite needy, socially. But I've never been one for cliques.

I don't know... that's just a bumble of words there, I'ma come back and edit it once I've been to class and my brains working properly!

I had a small circle of really good friends. We learned to just blend into the back ground. I'd rather be invisable and do as I please than to be the popular person that everyone looks to. We are social creatures but I find the contact I get to be more than enough and sometimes overbearing. I've always been one to enjoy a night to myself.