Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other gearheads around here

Default Any other gearheads around here

Are ther any other mechanics out there either professional or hobbiest.
    I feel us gear heads are a dying breed with all the computer stuff coming in now. Just looking for anyone else who can talk cars or even people who watch a lot of top gear. British tg not American

^^ In fairness, the American TG has gotten better. As a standalone show, it's not horrible, either. It suffers from mimicking the format of the British one, setting it up for the comparisons that reveal it to be an inferior effort.

And yeah, I enjoy cars, especially big Lincolns and big luxury cars. Mr. X and I have a 1978 Lincoln Continental that we enjoy driving around, and we just bought a 1997 Town Car for Mr. X to use as a daily driver after his Neon went the way of the dinosaur. We affectionately refer to the '78 as the Big Green Sofa, because it really is like driving an emerald green living room couch down the freeway. I've joked that we could hit a medium-sized child with the thing and never know it. We wouldn't see the kid over the hood, and we wouldn't feel him under the wheels.

I'm also starting to learn my way around the mechanical bits thanks to these two cars. We bought the Town Car with 184,000 miles and needing a fair bit of attention for $900. The Haynes manual that we picked up for the '78 happens to cover all the Town Car models, as well, so we looked it over beforehand and decided that, yeah, we can probably do the work. So far, it's been an excellent learning experience. Honestly, I find working on the newer car easier than the older car. The systems are much more simplified and streamlined in their designs, and when it comes to the engine, unhook the battery for 20 minutes, throw a few sensors in it, and then let the computer adjust the engine parameters. Easy. The other one? I'd love to punch every single person that designed every single system, because everything is overly complex and stupid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Town%20Car/IMG_1598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Continental/DSCF0112-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Continental/DSCF0105.jpg

I wouldn't call myself a mechanic by any means but I do a little work here and there. I work a lot more on my dirt bikes than on my vehicles because the bikes are a lot easier to work on, so I do know my way around 2-stroke engines. As for cars, I love sports and muscle cars. I have a Honda S2000 (which is minus an engine right now because I'm waiting to see if I need to replace the cylinder head or not), and I'm planning on picking up a '68 Bonneville convertible before long too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    We affectionately refer to the '78 as the Big Green Sofa
    That boat is awesome! Nice job keeping that vintage metal in such good condition.

As for me, I'm a shadetree gearhead for sure. Getting my hands greasy is nice change of pace from my day job. I'm mostly into air-cooled German sports cars, but have wrenched on GTIs, Miatas, RX-7s, BMWs, Ford 302s, and lots of other stuff. I also love motorsports, especially F1, BTCC, and ALMS.

Keep those wrenches turning!

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    ^^ In fairness, the American TG has gotten better. As a standalone show, it's not horrible, either. It suffers from mimicking the format of the British one, setting it up for the comparisons that reveal it to be an inferior effort.

And yeah, I enjoy cars, especially big Lincolns and big luxury cars. Mr. X and I have a 1978 Lincoln Continental that we enjoy driving around, and we just bought a 1997 Town Car for Mr. X to use as a daily driver after his Neon went the way of the dinosaur. We affectionately refer to the '78 as the Big Green Sofa, because it really is like driving an emerald green living room couch down the freeway. I've joked that we could hit a medium-sized child with the thing and never know it. We wouldn't see the kid over the hood, and we wouldn't feel him under the wheels.

I'm also starting to learn my way around the mechanical bits thanks to these two cars. We bought the Town Car with 184,000 miles and needing a fair bit of attention for $900. The Haynes manual that we picked up for the '78 happens to cover all the Town Car models, as well, so we looked it over beforehand and decided that, yeah, we can probably do the work. So far, it's been an excellent learning experience. Honestly, I find working on the newer car easier than the older car. The systems are much more simplified and streamlined in their designs, and when it comes to the engine, unhook the battery for 20 minutes, throw a few sensors in it, and then let the computer adjust the engine parameters. Easy. The other one? I'd love to punch every single person that designed every single system, because everything is overly complex and stupid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Town%20Car/IMG_1598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Continental/DSCF0112-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/xequar/Continental/DSCF0105.jpg
    Those are nice looking cars I like the 97 I've got a built engine for a 99 town car and would love to get a chassis to put it in. As for my opinion on american top gear every episode it's the same thing ford vs. Chevy vs. dodge. The only benifit to American top gear is tanner foust. The British top gear is informative and hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

@ brickhouse
    Them s2000 can be mean little cars when setup right I've always had jokes like " Honda should stick to what they know best like bikes and law mowers" but the s2000 is deffinatly a step in the right direction

Well, I'm a novice in the most sincere meaning of the word, but I'm learning. I've got a 1981 Corvette that is both my summer DD and project car. I'm learning as I go with the help of friends.

you ever need help or advice let me know ill help in any way i can. if i dont know i can bet i know someone that does. this site may help as well i got access to it through my tech college
    General Logon Page

username lesnash
    password nashville

bottom of page will take you to chilton online library which will give repair information on almost every car from the 40s to present

Yes, I'm what you'd call a 'gearhead' but in the UK the equivalent phrase is 'petrolhead', or more simply 'car nut'.
    I can't claim to have any mechanical knowledge, but do like a decent fast car and have had some nice motors when budget allowed.
    Currently running a nippy, but not fast, Seat diesel.

I've been working on my friends Mitsubishi 3000gt an will be getting one myself to work on from the ground up. A complete restoration if you will. I also do most of the work on my corolla when it requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingon View Post
    I've been working on my friends Mitsubishi 3000gt an will be getting one myself to work on from the ground up. A complete restoration if you will. I also do most of the work on my corolla when it requires it.
    I wanted one of those so bad when I was in high school. VR4 or non-turbo?