Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Averatec Laptop?

Darkfinn

Default Averatec Laptop?

Hey all...

I'm looking to purchase an Averatec brand laptop. They're low priced windows-based machines. They look like a good bargain.

The thing is every review I've found on them is like 3 years old... does anyone have any up to date info on this brand?

Thanks!

I have never heard of the brand Avertec, so I guess they are a small company and produce a small amount of hardware. My friend got an MSI laptop, expensive as hell (was an ultra portable though). And I never knew MSI made laptops!

What other brands are you considering? An If at all possible try to get a Dual Core laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    An If at all possible try to get a Dual Core laptop.
    I said it once ill say it again the average user doesn't need that much power. But i also have never heard of that company. With unknown companies the best i can say is make sure you take a good long look at there warranty.
    Last edited by d4l; 10-Feb-2008 at 03:33.

Are those the ones that come with the basic version of Ubuntu Linux as the stock OS at Wal*Mart?

My friend had an Averatec he bought about 4 years ago. It was ok, though towards the end he had some overheating and battery issues. For the price he paid, it was pretty good though. Sorry, no up to date info, my newest laptop is a Mac, and my windows laptop is 4+ years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Diapered4lyfe View Post
    I said it once ill say it again the average user doesn't need that much power.
    It isn't really about power. It is about Multitasking. I have found my dual core machine to be more stable and responsive when doing multiple things in comparison to my 'more powerful' single core machine.

Does anyone here know where I can get a Laptop that costs $100-$300?

Quote Originally Posted by babynaruto1 View Post
    Does anyone here know where I can get a Laptop that costs $100-$300?
    If you're going to spend that amount on a laptop keep in mind:
    1.) It will either be used or very poorly built (see: low end acers, or other cheap brands)
    2.) If it's used, you may run into other problems (battery might need to be replaced, worn out hinges, overheating because of clogged vents, etc..) plus a used laptop probably won't be as fast as others you can buy today...

If you're feeling adventurous and willing to do some homework (read old reviews, research specs..) then I would say check ebay, used shops near where you live, or craigslist. Oh and try and find a IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad...those things could survive a nuclear blast

andy, I have an Acer laptop and it works very well. v.v
    It cost $600-700 though (minus tax).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    andy, I have an Acer laptop and it works very well. v.v
    It cost $600-700 though (minus tax).

I bought an Acer in 2004 that was ~$1100 and that has been a great laptop. I sold it to my sister and bought a new battery for it in 2007 and it's still going strong and being used every day....but I've also had terrible experiences with the low end Acer laptops. My friend bought one for $800 a year ago and it was garbage...problem after problem until she finally cut her losses, sold it for what she could, and bought a Toshiba. The windows laptop I have now cost me $50 and it's an Acer...the guy was selling it because of all the problems it kept having (it was the lower end model, would constantly overheat due to a poor design and the hard drive would die as a result..he went through 3 hard drives ).

So...you might have good experiences with yours, and that's great, but the percentage of bad Acers out there is really high. They are cheap laptops, and you (most of the time) get what you pay for.