Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Prison System

CrinklySiren

Default US Prison System

They have so many shows on history channel and nat geo about the most high security prisons or shows about sending kids to prison and how the people and the orderlies are in there like Scared Straight... My question is do you think it works? I mean when people go to prison they have to teach themselves to be ruthless and hardcore and usually when they get out they end up going back in... I mean whats the point of going to prison if you're just going to come out more fucked up than when you went in??

And since alot of US prisons are filled with racist cliques that just spread more and more hate, is there any hope for people to actually get "rehabilitated?"

discuss

Well herin lies the problem, clearly there is something wrong with the justice system, if it can cause you to become institutionalised, and have to resort to violence in order to survive. That is not to say that there is no chance of rehibilitation, but if you're in a prison where there are racial cliques that spread hate, then trying to be a good prisoner is an immensely difficult task. On the other hand, Angola State prison in Louisiana has been ragarded as model for prison reform, where the prisoners till the land and manufacture products to help disadvantaged members of the general public. So they are being encouraged to repay society. Back to the prison problems; You have miscarriages of justice where innocent people are sent to prison. besides this there is also the fact that almost 60% of prisoners have been convicted for non-violent crimes Prison Math - Reason.com, so perhaps releasing or reducing the sentences of those people would prevent them from falling into violence and brutality whilst incarcerated.

Don't forget that what you're seeing on TV is not the most accurate view. It's edited and picked for the most shocking or entertaining content. Are there problems with the system? Of course, but it's not quite as bad as it seems on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    Don't forget that what you're seeing on TV is not the most accurate view. It's edited and picked for the most shocking or entertaining content. Are there problems with the system? Of course, but it's not quite as bad as it seems on TV.
    I've read a few AMAs on Reddit from people who spent time in prison, and the lowest common denominators seem to be:

1. Television portrayals are not wrong, but they are grossly exaggerated.
    2. Gaining the respect of other inmates is worth a ton.
    3. Bad shit happens to weak people.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    It's accurate, but a bit exaggerated, so says a friend of mine who works in a maximum-security prison (and is an ABDL interestingly enough). He's actually going back to school part-time because he wants out of corrections entirely after some of what he's encountered.

The other thing to remember about the U.S. prison system, though, is that our model is not based on rehabilitation. It's based on punishment (and profit for the private companies that run a lot of them now, but that's another conversation entirely). Based on that model, we're doing about as well as can be expected, I guess.

not got much experience with it all, exept via TV and reports, but i find it scarily disturbing; more so when you consider that people detained until trial (the innocent) are treated no different from convicted rapists, murderers and drug-dealers (which wouldn't too bad if prison was like a holiday camp). as such detainment is no different from the 'punishment', isn't it on a par with the worst regimes?
    i read one story recently, by an innocent man, who got the impression that system was designed to wear you down, in order to make you 'confess' more readily. this stuff sounds more like torture than any legitimate attempt to purely prevent a person from avoiding trial.

and as much as i no faith in the British judicial system, i have even less in the U.S.'s. to be perfectly honest, the U.S. sounds more like it's governed by the Taliban than by anything approaching a modern, civilized democracy.
    Last edited by ade; 29-May-2012 at 19:05. Reason: typo

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between US Federal Prisons, State Prisons and County Jails. Generally, what you see on TV are the Supermax Federal Prisons.

Also, most county jails are chronically understaffed, overcrowded, with underpaid correctional officers who are overworked. Most Correctional officers know that the restorative model of justice, that is, treatment and rehabilitation is the most effective, but try explaining to taxpayers why you want more money to go to treating criminals.

I'm not saying I disagree, but it is a very hard case to make.

Quote Originally Posted by hinkie View Post
    Most Correctional officers know that the restorative model of justice, that is, treatment and rehabilitation is the most effective, but try explaining to taxpayers why you want more money to go to treating criminals.
    perhaps more money should be put into not making criminals???
    seriously, i know there's many places in the US which are desperate for infrastructure repairs and maintenance; wouldn't all those people and communities who've lost their jobs and roles in society [to China and elsewhere] be best employed in addressing those problems (which also happen to be 'justification' by those so inclined to turn to crime)?
    afterall, people naturally take a pride in what they do, so what should we have them do?

Exclamation Ad Rspnsm

Forgive me for only doing a partial quote but I think this needs to be reiterated, SterlingArcher hits it right on the head down below:

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    besides this there is also the fact that almost 60% of prisoners have been convicted for non-violent crimes Prison Math - Reason.com, so perhaps releasing or reducing the sentences of those people would prevent them from falling into violence and brutality whilst incarcerated.
    That's EXACTLY the problem! Prison just breeds criminals, and it can be brutal. The original poster mentioned "racist cliques" but you gotta realize that prison is a bunch of people dominated by a few security guards, locked up tight in a concrete box w/ metal bars. When things get constrained like that I'm not surprised people tend to get all tribal w/ the racial affiliations and all that (besides if you're white joining a white gang in some prisons is the only way to get protection, which can be the only thing between you and becoming someone's prison bitch since whites are a minority in many prisons nowadays).

Besides, what are you rehabbing people from? Selling drugs to buy stupid crap or just to feed their kids? A fight that went wrong? A robbery I don't know about you but locking people up in prison for everything doesn't seem to be the answer, it breeds criminal networks and the rate of recidivism (going back in) can be pretty high. I'd almost rather go Sharia-style with the violent offenders since people would be less likely to rob if they knew it'd cost them a hand and less likely to rape if they knew it'd cost them their balls. I know that sounds inhumane but then again prison is pretty dehumanizing in itself. And as for non-violent offenders, what ever happened to A: just leaving them alone or B: heavily fining them?

EDIT: Btw SterlingArcher man that reason article is broken (half the text don't show up!)

It's worth throwing a couple of other pointers in:

- a disproportionate percentage of those in the UK prison system suffer from dyslexia or significantly low abilities in basic skills like English and maths. Are we locking people up because they can't read?
    - people have observed that the Scandinavians - Denmark, Sweden, Norway - run a far more liberal prison regime than Britain does (see article here) and yet get better results. But I'm not entirely convinced that the regime is what makes the difference so much as the society that prisoners emerge into. Britain is pretty unforgiving, and I rather suspect the US is no different.