Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you vote for an atheist president/prime minster?

Default Would you vote for an atheist president/prime minster?

As the Obama thread seems to have touched on his religious beliefs or lack thereof. I am curious to know if people would or would not vote for an atheist president/prime minister/head of state. I personally would, despite not being an atheist myself, I don't think that religious faith should be a prerequisite for entering office.

WillosauriestSporer

I think that religion is just an excuse for the powerful to go to war and for the impoverished to have something to look forward to. So, I'm with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by WillosauriestSporer View Post
    I think that religion is just an excuse for the powerful to go to war and for the impoverished to have something to look forward to. So, I'm with you 100%.
    that is true, but even without religion, people go to war

WillosauriestSporer

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    that is true, but even without religion, people go to war
    Well, it's just one more reason. I mean really, if <insert God(s) of choice here> is so powerful, why can't he defend him/her/their self(ves)?

Well, it's just one more reason. I mean really, if <insert God(s) of choice here> is so powerful, why can't he defend him/her/their self(ves)?
    I was involved in two wars, one domestic and one over seas, I don't ever remember any of my orders being signed by "God, all powerful creator of reality and pro-tem leader of the United States Military" I DO remember seeing orders endorsed by President Bush, leader of the Wealthy Plutocracy charged with making more money buy sacrificing the poor and middle class who truly believed the great deception about our "enemy" in Iraq.

I can't see why I would give them precedence over anyone else. Religion or no.

Let me put it this way...I wouldn't not vote for someone just because they were atheist.

Who is running?

I would not vote for the best person for the job. To do that they have to support the US Constitution which allows for freedom of religion.

I also am libertarian, so I must vote for someone like that.

I mean really, if <insert God(s) of choice here> is so powerful, why can't he defend him/her/their self(ves)?
    god does - for god is in all things, in all places, all of the time.
    how can you have a view on that that you have no view of?

as for the original question, i believe in secular governance with the individuals guided by a sense of the almighty. therein lies a problem, for those most likely to take the reins of power are also the most likely to sacrifice all else for such power. so, about a class of people who would readily sacrifice truth, how could we believe their professions?

unfortunately, the OP's question is redundant.