Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question for people with Urinary Incontinence

Default Question for people with Urinary Incontinence

I have a question for people with urinary/urge incontinence in any form.

I've thought about this for a while, but I've always wondered.

Obviously if you are only slightly/fully urinary incontinent then you have full control of your bowels, correct?

Well, in regards to diapers, wouldn't this create a problem in what type you can wear? Obviously a pull-up style diaper would be optimal, because then if you needed to you could make it to a toilet and easily go without worrying about messing with tapes or worrying about ripping the diaper each time. But on the other side of the fence, a tape-on diaper might be better because then you have a huge amount of absorbancy compared to low to medium that you get with pull-ups; albiet having trouble with tapes every time you wish to use the toilet so as not to mess your diaper.

Is this fairly accurate?
    So what about you?

What sort of protection do you use?
    Pull-up or tape-on?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Sorry if this crosses any borders or anything. I'm just curious about it.

I am semi incontinent. I wet several times in my sleep every night and wear high capacity diapers for bed. During the day I wear pull ups mainly. I can get to the toilet ok most of the time, but have some leakage problems all the time. Pull ups are much easier in the day as they easily allow me to have a pee in the toilet if needed. Having said that the nighttime diapers I use have an elasticated front so are not too bad either. The nighttime diapers are best at night due to absorbancy. Pull ups are good in the daytime as they are less bulky.

I'm very urinary incontinent but I have full control of my bowels. I tend to use pullups at home, where I can get to the bathroom quickly if necessary, and tape-ons when I'm out. But the tape-ons I use have re-attachable tapes so it's possible to take them off and put them back on without ripping them, if necessary. In practise, my bowel habits are mainly first thing in the morning, so it's not an issue that arises very often for me.

I have fairly severe urge incontinence and wear a high-capacity tape-on diaper 24/7. When I need to have a bowel movement (provided my diaper is dry enough not to need changing), I pull down the tape-on diaper like a pair of underpants and then pull it back up again afterward. You have to be careful, but it's not really a big problem.

I am a bedwetter. I wear a high capacity pad (Abena Abri-San X-Plus, Moliform Super) under a stretch pant. As easy as underwear to drop down.

I have mixed incontinence. During the day, I will wear pads, car rides are a pullup's job, and at night I wear a diaper, as I bedwet. The pads can be a disadvantage because they can leak sometimes... Can't always trust them. And that goes for the pullups, too. But all in all, it's better than nothing. A little leak is better than total wet crotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3R0 View Post
    I have a question for people with urinary/urge incontinence in any form.

I've thought about this for a while, but I've always wondered.

Obviously if you are only slightly/fully urinary incontinent then you have full control of your bowels, correct?

Well, in regards to diapers, wouldn't this create a problem in what type you can wear? Obviously a pull-up style diaper would be optimal, because then if you needed to you could make it to a toilet and easily go without worrying about messing with tapes or worrying about ripping the diaper each time. But on the other side of the fence, a tape-on diaper might be better because then you have a huge amount of absorbancy compared to low to medium that you get with pull-ups; albiet having trouble with tapes every time you wish to use the toilet so as not to mess your diaper.

Is this fairly accurate?
    So what about you?

What sort of protection do you use?
    Pull-up or tape-on?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Sorry if this crosses any borders or anything. I'm just curious about it.
    i came here because urinary IC forum's (for women) i had looked into in the past were stuck-up and closed-minded. and probably the worst of all, practiced revered sexism. that is to say they didn't want any bloody sex change in their group.
    so I came here where everyone talks openly; girls, boys, gays, genders. everyone can share there experience and be validated in turn.

thank you for showing an interest. it gets people talking.
    pull-ups at night, as i simply leak without control while asleep. when i do wake-up, and there is an "urge", i go use the toilet, but there is never more than i few tea-spoons. and during the day use pull-ups too as needed. but i so have a little more control in the waking hours. i am quite regular in the #2 area, and pull-up make that easy. and as my little's don't need any prodding to show themselves, i don't have any inclination for messing as it were.

but then there is the other part of the picture. diapers like bambinos are very nice, and a welcome change on special occasions. i really love to sleep with something substantial between my legs, and i always have. i like to use pillows. but sadly, they get wet-on and ruined. but they feel so heavenly before they get wet. i have also used big soft towel to put between my legs. that too feels good, and they can be washed. i guess i was just kidding myself for years that the towel trick wasn't really a substitute for diapers.......

learn something new everyday..... Hummmm.......

I wear tape-on diapers full-time, but am not bowel incon. During the day, if I have to go #2, I usually hold it until I'm due for a change anyway and take care of it at the same time. If I can't wait till then or don't need to change, I'll undo the top two tapes, then slide the brief down.

When finished, I pull it back up and it is usually still snug enough on the bottom tapes to not cause a leak issue. If I have to readjust, the 2nd chance tapes do the job nicely.

I use an Abena M1 during the day as they hold a good bit and are slim enough that I don't have to worry about bulk under my slacks.

I do have urge incontinence and have to some extent bowel problems as I also suffer from IBS. During a flare up this sometimes can lead to an accident, but most times I only have urinary problems.
    When starting wearing diapers during the daytime I started with pull-ups because of the above stated reasons, like easy to go the toilet and maybe less visible. After some time I came to the conclusion a normal tape-on diaper works better with urge incontinence and to my suprise was less visible than a sagging pull up. When needing to go #2 I try to hold it in until the next change or when it's urgent I go to the toilet and slide down the diaper, after this I gently pull up the diaper and rearrange it. In 90% of the cases this works fine for me.

I still wear pull ups sometimes, but only when my urge incontinence is not that bad, or when playing sports and so on.

Default Grist for the mill

I often have heavy urinary incontinence but no bowel incontinence. I generally choose tape on diapers for their higher absorbency and leak protection over pull up styles. As far as diapers getting in the way of using the toilet, particularly for BM I suppose it's dependent a lot on the kind of diaper your using, and even your build. I'm slim enough to wiggle even a snugly fitted tape on diaper down without distressing it too much, but that isn't true of all brands (some stretch too much, others can tear, or just never fit right again after being handled in that way). I don't often find it a problem however, and I might reiterate some things others said in their posts Re: Regularity, timing trips to the toilet with changes, etc.
    That said, If my situation were different I would think that the huge variety of products available would offer something to fit the need. Since I don't find the vast majority of pull ups up to the absorbency and leak protection needs I have, were I to need more frequent, less troublesome ability to remove protection to use the toilet I might opt for the Tena style that has the velcro belt that the rest of the brief attaches to, or on that note a more standard diaper with velcro tabs instead of tapes, or even an adaptation that I have used, which is heavy absorbency pull ups with Abena 'fixing' pants to support them close to the body preventing leaks, and plastic pants as an extra layer of protection (if you can pull down three pair of underwear at once, then it's a viable option).
    I digress, but it seems to me the problem is a very old one; Matching products to needs.