Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decisions

Question Tough Decisions

For the last few years I have been thinking about my future and trying to think about what to do with it, I have experience in computers but also Administration and management for companies as I have been running 2 of my parents companies by dealing with paperwork, licensing, advertising, web development, and assigning duties to other employees for over a year now. I have had the same duties with a non-profit organization I am a director of for about 18 months. My decision though is, Do I go to college when i get out of high scoop right away or do I do what I have been thinking about? For about two years I have thought about military and peace corps, I can do both but I just need help making the decision. Even though I have the skills for a management or administration job within the military I was thinking about joining the air force or navy fire protection (firefighter). If I do it with navy it will be problems with peace corps as I can not be within the jurisdiction of any country I may serve for the peace corps as it makes the military look bad. I was thinking about air force after doing 27 months for the peace corps in another country (i love volunteer work). Anybody with experiance in military and/or peace corps please help me out trying to decide, I have another 1 1/4 years before its final but I want to decide beforehand. I know the recourse and risk each of these decisions bring and how they can affect others and I can handle it. Thank you for the help.

If you're thinking about business, college is of importance but isn't the end of all things. Success in business will be about learning how to run a business. If you already know things, then what are you hoping to learn by going to college? If you want to go and have the means, I'm not saying don't go. But I'm saying that business is a field where what you know is head and shoulders more important than the letters following your name.

I can't speak to the military or peace corps, but you could consider joining the reserves. Each branch (IIRC) has a reserve unit. You'll gain experience without having to commit your life to it. And if after a year you decide you really like it, I would imagine a mechanism exists to enlist full-time. The only issue I can think of, and I don't know how much of an issue this is in practical terms, is that the military was at a pretty high level of enlistment. Meanwhile, we've ended the Iraq War and drawing things down in Afghanistan. The military may be downsizing at the moment. I know we have a few military members here who can probably tell you more (BabyJayk comes to mind for me) about the current state of affairs. It wouldn't hurt to go into a recruiting office either, but realize that a recruiters job is to get people enlisted. Approach the experience the same way you would an initial trip to Crazy Harry's Super Discount Used Car Emporium Bad Credit No Job No Money Down No Problem. You only want to hear more about the military as a career, and you're not going to make any decisions that day.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    If you're thinking about business, college is of importance but isn't the end of all things. Success in business will be about learning how to run a business. If you already know things, then what are you hoping to learn by going to college? If you want to go and have the means, I'm not saying don't go. But I'm saying that business is a field where what you know is head and shoulders more important than the letters following your name.

I can't speak to the military or peace corps, but you could consider joining the reserves. Each branch (IIRC) has a reserve unit. You'll gain experience without having to commit your life to it. And if after a year you decide you really like it, I would imagine a mechanism exists to enlist full-time. The only issue I can think of, and I don't know how much of an issue this is in practical terms, is that the military was at a pretty high level of enlistment. Meanwhile, we've ended the Iraq War and drawing things down in Afghanistan. The military may be downsizing at the moment. I know we have a few military members here who can probably tell you more (BabyJayk comes to mind for me) about the current state of affairs. It wouldn't hurt to go into a recruiting office either, but realize that a recruiters job is to get people enlisted. Approach the experience the same way you would an initial trip to Crazy Harry's Super Discount Used Car Emporium Bad Credit No Job No Money Down No Problem. You only want to hear more about the military as a career, and you're not going to make any decisions that day.
    Everything I feel I may like I commit to, I'm not looking for a reserve unit. If i choose military I would join an active unit, Peace corps i dont believe have reserves. The fact that your application takes about 9 months average would buy some time to continue education and/or other important affairs. I do love volunteering and love traveling to other areas and cultures in our world, I actually spent August-September in another state volunteering on a ranch taking care of the horses, lamas, and alpacas. We also made access roads and fire breaks, We also cut trees down, Built storage sheds and managed the free range chickens, locking them down at night as they would get eaten at night otherwise. The key here is that I LOVE working and getting hands on, not beong a reserve for a branch or unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretlyme View Post
    Everything I feel I may like I commit to, I'm not looking for a reserve unit. If i choose military I would join an active unit, Peace corps i dont believe have reserves. The fact that your application takes about 9 months average would buy some time to continue education and/or other important affairs. I do love volunteering and love traveling to other areas and cultures in our world, I actually spent August-September in another state volunteering on a ranch taking care of the horses, lamas, and alpacas. We also made access roads and fire breaks, We also cut trees down, Built storage sheds and managed the free range chickens, locking them down at night as they would get eaten at night otherwise. The key here is that I LOVE working and getting hands on, not beong a reserve for a branch or unit.
    From how you describe yourself, you would do well to consider a military officers career path. After High School you would report to an Academy for four years of Military training AND a civilian equivalent specialty. You will be challenged and pushed the vary limits of your ability, then taught tools that will help you find new limits to push.
    For example: You go to the Air Force Academy and study to be an Officer, while there you choose the path you want to follow: Command, Support, Engineering etc etc, If you wanted to, you could study to be an officer and receive a 4 year degree in Aeronautical engineering to support a career path in the Air Force that will be focused on development of new Air combat systems (as an example).

If you joined the Coast Guard; You would go to New London, CT; the Coast Guard Academy. You could study to be a Command Path officer with a 4 year degree in Marine Biology to better support one of the Coats Guards primary missions: Marine Environmental protection.

Enlisted guys like me (before I got hurt anyway) are the backbone of the Military, we execute the plans the officers put together with an efficiency and pride no civilian organization will ever ever match.

You like helping people more than killing them? Go Coast Guard, The main Job of the Guard is saving lives and it is a Military organization. Even as an enlisted guy I was part of a crew that was directly responsible for saving 7 lives from the Atlantic ocean. (on two separate occasions) The last one being the rescue of a family with a seven month old baby girl on a sail boat. I could have walked on water that day!

Anyway, look into the officer career path, you may find its fits well with your desires.

This was done a few years back by this kick ass young Seaman/ Port Security (petty officer striker) in the Fleet.
    Feel The Coast Guard - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Secretlyme View Post
    . I have had the same duties with a non-profit organization I am a director of for about 18 months. .
    I was involved in the non-profit sector and we had links to US organizations and our legal representatives told us that the legal age to be a director in both the Uk and the US was 18?

[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    I was involved in the non-profit sector and we had links to US organizations and our legal representatives told us that the legal age to be a director in both the Uk and the US was 18?
    It all depends on where you live, I live in California USA, so I can be at 16 however other places do not allow it until you are 18.

Taken from NPRCenter

Under California statutory law, there is no minimum age requirement for directors of a nonprofit corporation. The relevant statute states only that the Bylaws of the corporation may contain any provision regarding the qualification of directors. CAL. CORP. CODE 5151(c)(3).
    On another note I have actually never though about coast guard, Hmmm, decisions

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Was curious about where you must be 18 to be a director and found 43 states allow it, 3 of them have laws protecting the youth directors and the 7 other states (specifically, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Utah) have outlawed directors under 18. So 43 legal and 7 illegal states in the usa.

ok thanks for that used to be legal in the uk till 2008 when they banned it completely

if you are looking for extremely challenging engineering/management sort of military job; one with some adventure. well then you may want to think about naval nuclear power as an officer. especially in submarines. of course it's best if you go to the navel academy. but there are other ways. then to nuc school, and out to the fleet. on a sub you would get responsibility piled on very fast. everyone on a sub does, officers and crew. but you don't have to be on a sub.

but you also seem like you want to do an humanitarian thing. you could become a military Chaplin for any branch. that may be more in line of what your looking for.......

Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    There are also many adult organizations that have an equivalent youth organization with youth leadership. There will be adult advisors, but all business is run by minors.

Exciting times for you. I spent four years in the USN. First as a electrician and then as a firefighter.
    I was the guy in the asbestos suit on the flight deck. My job was to get the pilot out then worry about fighting the fire.
    Later I spent time incountry Viet Nam and yes it was in combat. Even in the Navy you can be placed in harms way.
    Remember one thing. If you comit to the military it will be for four years. Be real sure you are willing to do this.
    Second try to get all the training you can. I learned electronics on uncle Sams nickel.