Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just watched the news this evening

Default I just watched the news this evening

I was speechless.

It seemed like it was nothing more than an detached presentation of muckracking. A contemptable gallery of human misery, drained of any form of emotion. Some people love getting pissed off hearing about heinous crimes happening in their area. Some people get their vicarious thrills hearing about heinous crimes happening in their area. Maybe if the news talked about ways to prevent these crimes from happening, there might be some value in it. But no - it has to be emotionally vacant recollections of sex crimes, murders, corruption in the legal system, whatever the fuck the audience wants to hear about, they get.

It is now my opinion that the 5 o'clock news is every bit as contemptable as the "Faces of Death" videos that they used to stock in video rental outlets - y'know, the videos that people could rent that promised its audience footage of people actually dying painful deaths. It certainly seems to be geared at the exact same audience.

I want to hear about people finding solutions to these problems, and I don't want to hear a nonstop onslaught of everything that is wrong in the world. Fuck that shit.

Cherub

Well, sometimes it's not always what people want, it's what sells, it's what ever will push the ratings. Need we remember Cloe and how the media tried to put a negative spin on things? The media doesn't always care about justice and right. In media the bottom line is,,,,get it to sell and get it to push ratings.

Come on don't tell me you haven't said horrible depressing news to others for shock value, people love gossip the more serious the more they love it, its life.

If you want some positive news then here: Man jumps into vat of acid to save co-worker | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Not just ratings, but what will sell the products in the commercial break. It's well established that fear puts people in a spending mood.

Either way, just change the channel. Get your news from better sources, watch TV for entertainment (which isn't easy either..).

What's your real complaint here? That the news reports on the bad things that happen in the world, or the way that it does it?

If you want news that is non-sensational and provides depth and analysis, then there are news sources to get that.

If you want the news to stop reporting the bad stuff that happened to other people, because it brings you down, then that's a really selfish and stupid attitude.
    It's important that bad things happening to people gets on the news, because it increases the chances of them getting justice and having things put right - it doesn't guarantee it, but it makes it a least a little bit more likely.

Yeah, there once was a time when I would have used horrible news to get a shocked reaction out of people around me. I can't honestly say that I will never do anything like that again. It's human nature, and it's something that I am working on doing less of.

As far as changing the channel goes, I don't have cable at my apartment. I have my DVD collection, there I can watch whatever the hell I want without people trying to watch the news instead. That's a nice option.

My point is that I want to hear solutions to problems. I know the problems are there, I think we all know they are there. I don't see how hammering in that the problems are there is going to help anybody. I don't want to hear about the problems, I want to hear people brainstorming about productive solutions. That is just my opinion, though, and that opinion does not agree with people who want vicarious thrills.

Unfortunately, what we consider as interesting news almost always involves either violence, or the bizarre. I enjoy my local news as it's more human interest, but the national news can make me feel depressed. Sometimes I avoid it, but I do feel it's necessary to stay informed. Knowing what is happening on a national and world level should make us better citizens and more responsible voters. I won't watch Fox news or other extreme so called news sources as they are just muck rakers.

My opinion:
    The news is meant to bias us against humanity. I've always said that those who make the most news in a group, define it. And when I watch news all I see are a small yet vocal minority of human beings doing terrible things. The overall purpose of this is to segregate us. They want to separate you by race, religion, political affiliation, religious ideology, and nationality. They want you to see only like-minded people. So, rather than embracing humanity, we say "they're not like me". This continues to cut down on our humanity.

So how do we stop this?

Turn off the television.

</end rant>

Quote Originally Posted by KaworuVsDrWily View Post
    My point is that I want to hear solutions to problems. I know the problems are there, I think we all know they are there. I don't see how hammering in that the problems are there is going to help anybody. I don't want to hear about the problems, I want to hear people brainstorming about productive solutions. That is just my opinion, though, and that opinion does not agree with people who want vicarious thrills.
    If the news media didn't report on the problems in the world, most of us WOULD NOT know about them, because only a very few (if any) of those problems are going to affect us or people we know. It's not the job of journalists to come up with solutions, that's the job of politicians, academics, activists and ordinary citizens: if you want to hear about solutions, read about some of them.

Good point, Auby.

I also somewhat forgot that a truly unbiased news source will not offer any solutions.

And the thought occured to me that I really should look for the solutions to the problems in my area within myself instead of looking for some other people to get involved in causes I am passionate about.

I guess I just wanted to get a very silly rant off my chest. I guess I am allowed to be human, and to make human mistakes like this one.

Fucking hell, I'm over this now. ^.^