Thread: Am I posting too much?

jj2jjj

Question Am I posting too much?

Hi, so I only just recently joined here. I've been trying hard to integrate myself with this wonderful community. The immediate effect of that is that I, or I think I post a lot. I get different ideas for threads and things I want to say. I actually pace myself. I have a few threads I want to make right now but I know if I made them all I'd just be clogging up the forum with my username.

Thoughts?

If it's an idea you wish to get off your chest then go for it. As long it's on topic and give the people to think about the topic and hear their views, I see nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2jjj View Post
    Hi, so I only just recently joined here. I've been trying hard to integrate myself with this wonderful community. The immediate effect of that is that I, or I think I post a lot. I get different ideas for threads and things I want to say. I actually pace myself. I have a few threads I want to make right now but I know if I made them all I'd just be clogging up the forum with my username.

Thoughts?
    It's entirely up to you. There's nothing wrong with posting a lot, just be sure you aren't spamming. Don't look to chime in into threads- look to add to them. If the OP asks a question, don't respond with something that's essentially "yea, me too." Talk about it. Make an interesting point. Stir up some debate. There's no such thing as posting too much, so long as there's substance in there.

Much like what AEsahaettr said, it's not necessarily how much you post but what you post. If you're churning out loads of threads that are useful or interesting, then that's fine in my book. What irritates me is when I see 15 out of 20 of the last posts on the forum are all by one member trying to beef up their post count. If you look at them they're all less that a line and say "I agree", "Me too" or other useless things (spamming is pointless anyway are all the user groups have a time as well as post requirement.)

You'll find on this site, unlike most forums, people don't really care about your post count, they'll remember you for being interesting and taking part in the site nicely. I'm on 0.55 posts a day on average, and there's probably people who have posted a lot more in 3 months than I have in nearly 3 years, but that doesn't mean I'm unknown.
    If unsure, hold back a bit and see what other people are posting, you'll soon get a feel for what's flooding the forum and what's not. The number one rule is to post because you have something new to add to the conversation, or a new worthwhile conversation to start, not because of the +1 to the little counter on the side. If it helps, there's also a search function to look for any recently started threads that are similar to one you want to make.

For what it's worth, I've noticed a lot of your threads in the recent posts and it hasn't bothered me, so you must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2jjj View Post

Thoughts?
    On most forums, it really doesn't matter how much you post, but the content of the posts themselves. If you respond to everything, and it contributes to conversation, there is nothing wrong with this. But if you post very little, and it is nothing but spammy material, then that is where problems would arise.

tl;dr quality matters more than quantity.