Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maurice Sendak has passed away

Default Maurice Sendak has passed away

Maurice Sendak Dead: 'Where The Wild Things Are' Author Dies At 83

Less then a week ago the world lost a founding member of the beastie boys, now it lost someone who made a amazing children book's.

Last edited by Fire2box; 10-May-2012 at 18:47.

I remember having Where the Wild Things Are read to me as a small child, and reconnecting with the book years later, feeling some of the excitement and wonder that Sendak created with his works. I was saddened when I read he was gone. RIP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Max.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8795

And he was just on the Colbert Report two weeks ago. I love "Where the Wild Things Are". I also own the DVD to the movie and watched it not long ago. I'd love to buy the wolf costume for my 4 year old grandson. He loves to dress up. Sendak will be missed, especially by people like us.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    And he was just on the Colbert Report two weeks ago. I love "Where the Wild Things Are". I also own the DVD to the movie and watched it not long ago. I'd love to buy the wolf costume for my 4 year old grandson. He loves to dress up. Sendak will be missed, especially by people like us.
    Yeah, I saw the first opening of where the wild things are and even springed for the imax showing one. It wasn't filmed with imax camera's though sadly, it was just blown up to size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Yeah, I saw the first opening of where the wild things are and even springed for the imax showing one. It wasn't filmed with imax camera's though sadly, it was just blown up to size.
    It's a very strange move, Fire, and somewhat disturbing. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be, but I loved it. The child, Max is a very disturbed child. He's been abandoned by his father, or at least you get that impression, and he's bullied by older boys, though he provokes it. The startling truth is that he's a lot like us, and for that reason, I cried along with him. The middle of the movie gets boring and tedious, my opinion, but it ends well. He's loved by his mother, and that unselfish love is all any of us need. It's life saving.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    It's a very strange move, Fire, and somewhat disturbing. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be, but I loved it. The child, Max is a very disturbed child. He's been abandoned by his father, or at least you get that impression, and he's bullied by older boys, though he provokes it. The startling truth is that he's a lot like us, and for that reason, I cried along with him. The middle of the movie gets boring and tedious, my opinion, but it ends well. He's loved by his mother, and that unselfish love is all any of us need. It's life saving.
    It wasn't until I read IMDB page on the movie that I considered max's dad left his mom. However I don't think he was bullied by the older boys, he just wanted to play with his older sister and her friends
    . Also don't think he was necessarily disturbed but just frustrated since he felt like he was getting no love or attention from either his sister or his overworked mother. Then he finally see's his mom hanging out with a new guy but ignoring him thus provoking another tantrum. why is she hanging out with this seemingly douchebag but not her own son?

Also if I recall right he mentions to his mom at the start of the movie the sun is going to burn out as he learnt from his teacher, essentially telling her about his day. But she seems to not really listen to it. Once he get's to the wild things and becomes their king, he takes the role of his mother and carol takes place of him, and K.W takes place of his sister. Him and his sister used to be close likely since their dad is gone for whatever reason.

Carol and K.W. have the same thing in common. But then K.W. dumps him and hangs out with the cool "bob and terry" thus provoking carol into fits of rage. Just like when Max's sister left him at the house alone and he destoryed her room and the thing he made for her. Either way the movie wasn't what I expected either though i'm glad spike went this route otherwise it would be a stretched out movie based upon less then maybe 250 words.

I can of course identify a lot with max myself. I had anger issues in the past for the simplest of reasons, destroyed my room multiple times. or threw it in disarray at least. My dad wasn't gone parents divorced before I was even two and then my mom decided to move to oregon. So it was always easy to identify with Max in the book as well as the movie.

He was also the creator of Little Bear. One of my most favorite lil shows ever. Ive watched it since i was 5. He will be missed so much :[<3 as for MCA he shall be missed. Rest in beats for MCA and shall Maurice shall he rest in peace.

Where the Wild Things Are is my most cherished book as a kid! The story and illustrations are amazing! This book completely paralleled and seduced my imagination. i still own a copy today.

R.I.P. Maurice.